Vampires vs. Werewolves

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

AoM

Vampires vs. Werewolves

Postby AoM » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:49 pm

I think it might be time to spice things up again with the good ol' Cantr Forums Werewolf Game.

Some things that I've noticed: People like roles. Roles make things interesting. But people who don't get roles usually feel that they have no interesting control over which side wins. Inspired somewhat by TSL's third party tactic in the Whitechapel game, I've come up with an idea and I want to run it by you all.

Vampires vs. Werewolves

Played like a normal WW game. Day and night cycles. A consensus vote during the day can eliminate a player.

The roles, however, are numerous. This game is meant to be played with a LOT of people.

Title: Abilities

Vampire Lord: May choose to either kill an individual during the night, or can instead choose to blood scry (use the seer ability). Blood scrying may only be done if the vampires do not kill during the night.

Vampire Thrall: Can choose (along with the Lord) to drain (kill) one victim per night.

Werewolf Shaman: Can choose to eat (kill) one victim per night or may instead choose to Sense the prey (use the seer ability). Sensing the prey may only be done if the werewolves choose not to kill during the night.

Werewolf Warrior: Can choose (along with the Shaman) to eat (kill) one victim per night.

Hero: May choose to investigate (use the seer ability) one target per night. OR may "empower" one person per night and make them into a warder for the rest of the game. (A warder gains the baner ability). OR may choose to "hunt" (kill) a suspected monster.

Warder: Anyone (except vampires or werewolves) who has been empowered by the hero. May choose to protect one target per night from a monster attack. (Note: Initiates with a mark may be given this power.)

Innocent: Anyone who doesn't begin the game with a role begins as an innocent. An innocent's win condition is for humanity to defeat the monsters. At any time however, an innocent may swear allegience to one of the two dark powers. (This is a permanent change. There is no going back.) Once this is done, the person's win condition becomes that of the side he has chosen. (Those with the Mark of Blood want the vampires to win, those with the Mark of the Fang want the werewolves to win.) (Marks WILL show through if the person is viewed with the seer ability.)

ATTACKING COMPLICATIONS:
Since it is possible for the Vampires and the Werewolves to attack each other in the same night the results will depend on the strength of the sides. The number of monsters plus the number of initiates is the strength of a side. (eg: 2 vamps + 1 marked initiate = 3; 2 wolves + 0 initiates = 2) The stronger side will win out. (So if the vamps in the previous example had targeted a wolf, but the wolves had also targeted a vamp, the vampires would kill off their target wolf, and the targeted vampire would live.)

If the strength of the sides are equal, then neither side hurts each other.

If the Hero and a monster attack each other, the Hero will win. (Hey, they're a hero, it's what they do.)

WIN CONDITIONS:

There are three sides: Humanity, Vampire, and Werewolf.

Humanity wins if the monsters are defeated before one side can claim victory.

Vampires claim victory only if both Werewolves are dead and they outnumber the remaining people who do not have the mark of blood.
(eg: 7 people are left when the werewolves are killed. 2 vamps, 1 Hero, 2 innocents, and 2 initiates w/ mark of blood. The Vamps would need to kill one more innocent (or the Hero) in order to claim victory.)

Werewolves claim victory in the same way that Vamps do only with the situation reversed.

Okay, tell me what you think? Would people be interested in this? I'd volunteer to mod it.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 pm

I like it - but I'm not sure how the hero being able to kill someone at night would work - that'd mean a possibility of three deaths a night, four including a lynching - so it could be over quite quick...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Damn, that sounds totally f***ing awesome! Of course I would need to see it played out to understand exactly what you mean so I'm in!! :D
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Sure, I'll play. I definitely need some clarifications, though... seer ability? Baner ability? I'm new to werewolf games.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
AoM

Postby AoM » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:35 am

Sorry Skwidd... the instructions were written assuming that the reader had played a normal werewolf game before.

The rules for werewolf are written on the first page of the first werewolf game topic.

A "Seer" can pick one player per night. The moderator then tells the seer what that person's role is. So a seer can uncover the actual roles.

A "Baner" can choose one person, including themselves, to protect from attacks during the night.

All "Attacks" occur during the night time. So let's say that the werewolves choose to kill Mikki, but Sparkle is a baner who knows that Mikki is her friend... Sparkle uses her ability to protect Mikki, so the werewolf attack fails and no one gets hurt come day time.

Day time is a period of debating. In the beginning of the game, no one is sure who anyone else is, all roles are given secretly by the moderator, so people are at a loss about who to trust. Usually, only the power of a Seer can unite people into voting blocks.

With this new game, things become much more tricky. Because the hero can give anyone a baner ability, potentially everyone could be useful. And each innocent has complete authority over their own win condition. If a person thinks that the werewolves have the upper hand, they could be persuaded to sign over their souls to the evil wolves.

The monsters in this scenario aren't necessarily trying to kill the humans outright... humans are useful. Especially if they could trick the Hero into empowering one of their initiates.

This game COULD be very bloody if every side decides to kill outright, but at the same time it could be possible that on the first day there are no deaths recorded. (Indecision or a tie in voting, plus all the sides decide to use their seer abilities). Knowledge could be just as powerful as mindless killing. It's up to the monsters, and the Hero, to decide what their strategy is.

That's another thing I may have forgotten to mention... the Hero can't be turned to the dark side. He or she fights for humanity. But it's up to her to convince the masses not to give in to the monsters.

Also, it's important to note that each of the monsters has a master/apprentice relationship. The Lord and the Shaman are the more valuable monsters for a side to have. If they are lost, then the side only has the option to kill, and will be hard pressed to recruit new members.

Even though the Hero is worrisome, the greatest threat that the monsters have is each other. They cannot win so long as one of the others survives. This has the nice effect of halting the slaughter of humanity. To get an advantage over the enemy, the monsters almost NEED to convert souls to their side.
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:13 am

Ah, it all comes together. Thanks, AoM... I'm in for sure now. :D
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:

Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:49 am

But how do you ask to be apart of one. You won't know who to ask and the vampires/werewolfs will be scared to tell you because you can vote to get them killed...
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
AoM

Postby AoM » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:03 am

Well, every side has a seer. So once you get an idea of who you're dealing with, you can incorporate them into your side.

To be honest, I'm not sure how everyone will take this. It could turn out to be a blood bath... it could also turn out to be a game of loyalties and dark promises. With all the abilities, I'm hoping that the pure chaos and unpredictability of the game will lend it a bit more excitement.

But if I were an innocent approached on the first day by a vampire thrall and given the choice of death or allegience... I think I would choose to be marked. Immediately you have a voting block of three during the day, and you have a seer/killer on your side. A bit better than the alternative hope of the Hero coming to your rescue...
Dee

Postby Dee » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:04 pm

I won't be able to play this one since I am away at the moment... I won't be active much, if not at all.
AoM

Postby AoM » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:27 pm

That's fine, Dee. Although, if we don't get a decent amount of people for this game, it's likely not to happen. Maybe we need to give people some time off from WW games. People might be suffering from burnout.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:10 am

That's the case with me. :D Burnout.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Varrius

Postby Varrius » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:57 am

I'll join this game if you wish, I have played the WW game off COmputer and I tihnk it would be interesting to do it on one.
Augery

Postby Augery » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:02 am

I will join
mikki

Postby mikki » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:36 pm

Is is too late to sign up? I will make sure to be on the forum moreso now then I have been as of late..

Return to “Forum Games”