Moderate in moderation, please

Please post requests for moderation here to be reviewed by the Public Relations Department. Just as General Support, this is NOT the place for chatter, nor the place to debate the requests.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

west

Moderate in moderation, please

Postby west » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 pm

Recently there's been a big spate of moderation...post splitting at the drop of a hat, locking, editing out even the simplest IC info, censoring.

Really, it's gotta stop. Some forums there's 20-some people with moderating rights, and if one of them decides they don't like something, whoosh, they can change it and the rest of us have to just accept that.

Someone recently moderated out the daily values of carrots and bread.

Sheesh, people. Be real.

The point of my post is this: remember the OTHER definition of "moderation". You don't have to be the holy defenders of the forum.

Just chill a bit.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:41 pm

Sorry, I prefer a bit more control on topics going off the topic, I don't think that moderating is a bad thing, taking out values to help prevent CRBs
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:53 pm

I agree with West.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:59 pm

From the description of this forum, most of the replies to this aren't wanted on it. Maybe drop a GD thread for it?

I agree with west, pretty much...some moderation, good, and I'm usually not bothered by what we have now, but it gets a bit much with some of what gets censored.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
kinvoya

Postby kinvoya » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:00 pm

I also agree with west.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:10 pm

I edited that post about bread (didn't touch the values for carrots...) because, unlike the longer-term players, many have never yet come across baked foods... I've been playing for a year now, and have yet to find anything baked - I had, infact, assumed that bread might be a healing food - I now know differently... Without finding out in game.

Ok, this is, as I said in my post a very minor thing, and would only lead to very minor CR breaches, but, unlike how many carrots are eaten or similar, is information, that even after sometime playing, is not known...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:11 pm

I agree with West as well.
Surly

Re: Moderate in moderation, please

Postby Surly » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:21 pm

west wrote:Recently there's been a big spate of moderation...post splitting at the drop of a hat, locking, editing out even the simplest IC info, censoring.

I would dispute about post splitting... I split a topic last night, and the split part ran to 4 pages. That's pretty far off topic by anyone's book.
Locking... well, I don't see that much locking. Maybe in GS, but not that much anywhere else.
Editing IC info. Yeah... I think maybe on certain occasions you are right.
Censoring... I think censoring abusive language is a good policy.

Anyway, I don't think it's half as bad as everyone is making out.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:22 pm

I disagree with West

His post is a classic example of why we need to be moderated to the hilt , honestly - implying that carrots and bread may possibly exist in the game is the most serious and flagrant abuse of BOTH the Cardinal & Capital Rules I have ever seen.

I suggest that all posts be vetted by a quorate panel of moderators and then sent for peer review before being posted to the pending pile

:wink:
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:29 pm

:D

I don't think that exact numbers should've been posted, but other than that, I don't see a problem.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:04 pm

I agree that the CD is becoming overbearing in certain aspects. If you'd like an explanation I could give a few, but I don't know that I need to: they're posted all over the forum. :lol:

It's starting to have a bootcamp feeling rather than a forum atmosphere. Sorry. :P
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:09 pm

This topic is getting out of hand.

Discussion in the Moderation Request forum? Quick someone lock it!

;)

<moan>I think the level of moderation is getting towards appropriate. I think game values of any kind should avoid being posted, however, compromise on general discussion of things within the game. So basically, if it's non specific and nothing brand new, that's alright.

I also think OT thread splitting is good, too many threads recently seem to go careering off topic, and that's not really a good thing. Also I feel there is too much chatter in GS and CR forums.

</moan>
kinvoya

Postby kinvoya » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:26 pm

I totally agree with Missy.

I don't think game info should be given out but, frankly, I think there are a lot of mechanics I would have never figured out if I hadn't had some hints from the forum.

What I really don't like is all the arbitrary "that's a naughty word but this sightly different version which means exactly the same thing is fine." I want Cantr to be family friendly but on the forums can we not assume we are adultish? Only excessive, pointless swearing should be addressed, IMO.

Also, being forced to apologize to people for insults is stupid to me. A little fighting makes things fun. Then the mods can step in and break it up if necessary but I feel like I'm in kindergarten right now and it's making the boards dull.

Return to “Moderation Requests”