Is ginseng an herb?

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Millhouse

Is ginseng an herb?

Postby Millhouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Wondering why ginseng can't be grown in a window box, herb garden or flower pot. Is it because it's not considered an herb? I think what seems to separate it (in game) from other herbs is that it can be used as a healing food. A poor one but it does provide some healing. Would love to be able to grow some for making tea.
SekoETC

Re: Is ginseng an herb?

Postby SekoETC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:13 pm

It's a root. It grows underground, that's probably why it's not in windowboxes. Doesn't necessarily make sense but... that's just the way it is.
Not-so-sad panda
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah I know, but so is ginger and that can be grown in window boxes. And lemons and tea grow on trees and aren't herbs at all. I just figured either ginseng was an oversight or there's some reason it wasn't included as an herb that can be grown.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Tea doesn't grow on trees. It's a low plant. But bergamot and camphor do. I was arguing earlier that it shouldn't be possible to grow bergamot and camphor in window boxes but realism isn't a big selling point in Cantr.
Not-so-sad panda
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 am

Myrrh is tree sap

Hamamelis (witch hazel by the way) grows 10–25 feet (3.0–7.6 m) tall

Cloves come from trees as well

Willow...

Etc....

But nope, can't have ginseng growing in a windowbox or garden ... *shrugs*
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:42 am

SekoETC wrote:Tea doesn't grow on trees. It's a low plant. But bergamot and camphor do. I was arguing earlier that it shouldn't be possible to grow bergamot and camphor in window boxes but realism isn't a big selling point in Cantr.

Not so low...

muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 am

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:25 am

But this is a picture of a tea field. They don't look so high there.

I've heard that people can easily grow ginger in a window box so at least that shouldn't be removed.
Not-so-sad panda
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:05 am

Most tea plants I have seen in Ceylon , the far East are smaller as pictured but these are managed plants so are kept in shape
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:35 pm

I didn't mean this question to be about realism. What I meant was, should ginseng be included in the category of resources in Cantr collectively known as herbs? I just wondered if maybe it was an oversight or if there was a reason (other than realism) it can't be grown in a window box or herb garden.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:07 pm

The set of resources in the game designated as 'herbs' was put together a very long time ago when the herb gardens were first implemented, not too consistently. I would rather remove machine gathering for more of these, as their scarcity as seeded resources in game is interesting. But it seems too late to make such a change without disruption.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:16 pm

If all tree type herbs where limited to herb gardens and taken out of window boxes and flower pots, that would make grasslands more important.
Not-so-sad panda
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 am

Cantr II needs some... YERBA MATE ...

Or just MATE. Its an argentinian plant used for infusions, but its stronger and bitter than tea, and it has some really good properties, like being antioxidant, energizing, and it has caffeine.
MATE is the hot drink used to prepare the "mate" that you drink with your mates.

Here, the "yerba mate" being prepared in a "mate" (the special pot where you put the dry herb and add hot water, and maybe some sugar)
The plant´s cientific name is Ilex paraguariensis
Its weaker than coffee and requieres more water, but you don´t use any seed or grain, but the leafs. So you can get TONS of "mate" per harvest. Also you can use the same amount of herb for 3 or 4 full pots. You just add hot water, drink the infusion, and then add hot water again. You don´t have to wait.

muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:55 am

Vanya wrote: Its an argentinian plant

:roll:

I'll just leave this quote from wikipedia here...

History
Main article: History of yerba mate

Yerba mate growing in the wild
Mate was first consumed by the indigenous Guaraní and also spread in the Tupí people that lived in southern Brazil, Paraguay and became widespread during European colonization.[citation needed] In the Spanish colony of Paraguay in the late 16th century, both Spanish settlers and indigenous Guaranís, who had, to some extent, before the Spanish arrival, consumed it.[citation needed] Mate consumption spread in the 17th century to the River Plate and from there to Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru.[citation needed] This widespread consumption turned it into Paraguay's main commodity above other wares, such as tobacco, and indigenous peoples labour was used to harvest wild stands.[citation needed]

In the mid 17th century, Jesuits managed to domesticate the plant and establish plantations in their Indian reductions in Misiones, Argentina, sparking severe competition with the Paraguayan harvesters of wild stands.[citation needed] After their expulsion in the 1770s, their plantations fell into decay, as did their domestication secrets.[citation needed] The industry continued to be of prime importance for the Paraguayan economy after independence, but development in benefit of the Paraguayan state halted after the War of the Triple Alliance (1864–1870) that devastated the country both economically and demographically.[citation needed] Some regions with mate plantations in Paraguay became Argentine territory.[citation needed]

Lithograph of José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia, a 19th-century ruler of Paraguay, holding a mate and bombilla
Brazil then became the largest producer of mate.[40] In Brazilian and Argentine projects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the plant was domesticated once again, opening the way for plantation systems.[citation needed] When Brazilian entrepreneurs turned their attention to coffee in the 1930s, Argentina, which had long been the prime consumer,[41] took over as the largest producer, resurrecting the economy in Misiones Province, where the Jesuits had once had most of their plantations. For years, the status of largest producer shifted between Brazil and Argentina.[41]

Now, Brazil is the largest producer, with 53%, followed by Argentina, 37% and Paraguay, 10%.[7][42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 am

Well, in the spanish version of the same page it says Argentina is the largest world producer of the plant. Its funny how the same page in different editions says different things.
However, I said its "argentinian" because, even if the plant grew naturally more in the other side of the river (Uruguay and Paraguay) than in Argentina, its actually Argentina one of the most... ehhmmm... Invasive with the use of that herb and also best knew countries for it.

Return to “General Support”