Inventory page show on firefox

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Inventory page show on firefox

Postby Greek » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 pm

In the recent weeks I have a feeling that the inventory page, especially the notes page with a few hundreds of notes is rendering slow on firefox (5-7 seconds). It's not caused by the server-side processing or network delay, because when I was looking at it it took at most 1.2 second.
Have you noticed a recent change like that?
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
MattWithoos

Re: Inventory page show on firefox

Postby MattWithoos » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 am

I used to have an issue on my iPhone (Safari) where clicking the Inventory page when it was previously set to "Notes" would... do something weird... it was like the page was frozen, but I could pan around, but I could NOT tap anything. Nothing was responsive to my taps. I couldn't view notes, drop notes, tap to another page (e.g. Buildings).

Haven't noticed it in a while, but I don't do much note-reading on my characters on my phone anymore.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 am

I've noticed this when looking in bookcases with a very large number of notes.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 am

I use Firefox, but I was just putting any slowness down to my computer being a clunky old pain. I'll keep a closer eye on it over the next couple of days, but I just did a bit of switching between the inventory tabs and there was a greater delay going to notes on those with a greater number of notes.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello.
I've decided to track down the reason of the slow loading time. The data shown in firefox dev tools was unhelpful, so I've started manual tests.
I've tried to remove certain elements from the HTML used to render the inventory list in my local environment (to reduce the network overhead) and I've noticed that getting rid of all action buttons is enough to get rid of the delay.

It wasn't the solution I was looking for, so I've tried restarting Firefox in the safe mode (without any addons/extensions) and it was a good idea. In the safe mode the test page took about 1.0 second to render instead of 5-6 seconds.
Then I've manually disabled some addons and the problem was caused by AdblockPlus.
Interesting facts:
- when AdBlockPlus is enabled or is disabled for all pages (but the extension is not turned off) then it takes 5-6 seconds to render
- when AdBlockPlus is disabled for a single domain (e.g. cantr.net) then it takes 9-10 seconds (much more than it is without the filter!)
- when AdBlockPlus is turned off completely then it's about 1.3-1.4 including some other extensions I have
- I have AdBlockPlus on Chromium but it's not so slow there. The same page takes ~0.8s on Chromium without AdblockPlus and 1.4s with AdBlock

I'm happy it was my fault as a user and not my fault as a developer.
I've replaced AdBlockPlus with uBlock origin and it's much better. It see almost no overhead.

I've tested it on Kubuntu 16.10 using Firefox 51.0.1 and Chromium 55.0.2883.87 available.
I don't know whether operating system or browser version has any impact on the test.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “General Support”