Foig rot rates increased?

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Alladinsane

Foig rot rates increased?

Postby Alladinsane » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:52 pm

I know we are trying to balance the rot rates to meet resource over abundance... but the amount in just a few hours seems excessive.

I had a char drop 150 thick rope...this morning it was 149.
""""""""""""""""""""500 medium ".... this morning it was 495.

This was in less than 2hrs game time.

5341-3.26: You see some medium rope being pulled from...
5341-3.26: You see some thick rope being pulled from
-=-=-=-=-=--==-=-=-=-
5342-1.12: You see some thick rope being pulled// i had lost 1 in less than 2 hrs game time
5342-1.12: You see some medium rope being pulled// 5 lost in 2 hrs .

It can be overcome if the materials are available (They were...over abundance again) but if one were to imagine some of the smaller islands where materials are not available...this could create a problem? Its not a big number, but if I had left those products for a longer period of time...the decay rate could stop someone who had traded for the right amount. I went back and checked history, the piles were unmolested and double checked on the ground in case I had not picked up the right amount. All possibilities were checked that I know of...

Has there been an increase in decay rates?

If so, I would suggest that all players use containers, cars, ships, etc to protect themselves.
Note that this was noticed on ground... the decay rate may be universally changed?

Caveat emptor
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
MonkeyPants4736

Re: Foig rot rates increased?

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Isn't rot calculated once per day? Around 1% per day material loss seems generous, in my opinion.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:08 am

But in 2(ig...in RL it was about 7 iirc) hours?

By that position, you could lose something just by setting it at your (theoretical) feet for 5 minutes.
Maybe we should at least have a 'puff of smoke' programmed in?
For me it was not a problem because I had extra... but instantaneous rot?
I guess we can rp it as "falling in a hole" or a wild boar rushed off with it for nesting materials.

I was just curious if there was a change implemented. It could change the way some people play the game.
Joo's cantr ticks page would get a lot more hits too! :)
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:25 am

I'd like to know if it was increased too, but I'd also like to point out that your two hour IG window there spanned two different days. Maybe you just happened to have rope on the ground when the server calculated rot. I don't think the game cares when resources made it to the ground, only if they are there when the calculation happens.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 am

There has been no recent increase. Rope rots at 1%. It appears you had bad luck with timing.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:17 am

Yeah, the fact that it happened may have just been coincidence. Its the reason I asked the question.

But good point on the time stamps...perhaps I was asleep longer than I thought?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:38 am

Not to mention you have only one reliable ish data point. Do you know how many types of curves can go through two points? This is why we have calculus. ;)
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:49 am

Bah... math... my bane in college.

Thanks Czez... I was wondering if location effected that too... It seemed higher than I remember in my 6 yrs.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 pm

The only location that matters is 'on the ground'. We have had an initiative in RD to review raws deterioration, as it's not assigned very consistently, but the only changes so far were in fact to lower it for a handful of things.

In general, manufactured raws, such as rope, don't rot much, if at all. Gatherable raws vary quite a bit.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:36 pm

sanchez wrote:
In general, manufactured raws, such as rope, don't rot much, if at all.

Yet that is the exact opposite of what just happened.
...and was documented.

In the end it was not a significant loss.
You are probably right that I just hit it on a tick and took particular notice because I had set out the exact amounts.

That's why sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:58 am

I don't really understand what your concern is?

Rot happens as a percentage, at a specific time each day (I won't say at what time, it's not TOO difficult to figure out). For rope, it's been stated that it's 1% rot. You had a smaller amount of thick rope to start with, so the amount that rotted was less than that of the medium.

I do get your point that it seems weird for it to just suddenly happen, no matter how long it has actually been on the ground (if you drop it at the wrong moment, then yes, it could disappear within one Cantr minute! Whereas, if you drop something just after rot has occurred, you can leave it there for nearly a whole day :lol: ). Perhaps it would be better for rot to only occur once something has been on the ground for a full day, but I'd guess that'd be more of a pain to program?
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:24 am

Rot happens as a percentage, at a specific time each day (I won't say at what time, it's not TOO difficult to figure out). For rope, it's been stated that it's 1% rot. You had a smaller amount of thick rope to start with, so the amount that rotted was less than that of the medium.
[\quote]

Actually, you don't have to figure it out anymore. I just documented (within a small window) the time of day that rot occurs. Just scroll up and make a note of it.

(if you drop it at the wrong moment, then yes, it could disappear within one Cantr minute!

Thats close to what happened then and to answer your original question (which for some reason I didn't quote)...there is no 'issue'.
I just noticed something that I was curious about and decided to share it with other players.

Perhaps I should have stuck this in the "things that annoy or confuse you" thread?
Whatever, its done and we have new knowledge and can play the game with that in mind.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:13 am

Dude, the rope was on the ground almost a whole day. Like 18 RL hours. I think you've been confused by your own timestamps.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:30 am

There is nothing worse than being a few grams light of a kilo though
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:

Return to “General Support”