Impersonating characters on the radio

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

MattWithoos

Impersonating characters on the radio

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:37 am

Is there a PD stance on impersonating characters on the radio?

-MUST- we give sufficient hints via roleplay that the voice may not be that of the owner?

On one hand, I could argue that the "sound" of a voice is purely a roleplayed thing and Cantrians don't have unique voices unless roleplayed. As such they can be chameleons in that sense. This is why radios do not transmit the owner of the voice...

On the other hand, maybe it's considered poor form to pretend to be someone else.

I think I already know what the answer will be, "at minimum give some clue or hint" - i.e. a male voice impersonating a female could say *the voice sounds a little rough*.

I guess the key question is - will I get into hot water if I impersonate a character without any effort in roleplaying how my character usually sounds?
nateflory

Re: Impersonating characters on the radio

Postby nateflory » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm not sure the ethics, because that's a purely in-game thing, but I've had a character talk on the radio once and never really thought/considered making descriptive "accents" or such, since I as Player never really used a radio in-game before. They answered questions others asked, and were probably assumed to be "the person they were asking" instead of my character, because no one else had responded, nad I never bothered to /pretend/ otherwise, and just let the misunderstanding continue, realizing how odd that was only in hindsight. OOPS!
(note this was a few months ago, I doubt it effects anything today)

Good question though!
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Implementation required:

You hear on the radio by frequency 100 a [man in his thirty] talking.

[dynamic description]
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:32 pm

This is not an official policy, because I'm not aware there is one yet. We've been dealing with this on a case by case basis for some time. But, I think Matt's correct that some roleplay should be included, and I'm certain this applies to impersonating a char of another gender. That said, I don't see any problem with telling lies over the radio. What's crucial is that none of your other chars are also participating or being influenced by such actions.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:52 pm

HFrance wrote:Implementation required:

You hear on the radio by frequency 100 a [man in his thirty] talking.

[dynamic description]

In this case, it is preferable that the false personification be given by roleplay well prepared, against a background of a real identification, because realistically, the voice recognition is the rule, imitation is the exception.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)

Return to “General Support”