Proving Legal Art Use

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

destinysWalrus

Proving Legal Art Use

Postby destinysWalrus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:51 am

Short Version:
I am planning to use art that I did not personally create, in notes that one of my characters may end up distributing. It is not public domain, but I do have the artist's permission to use it this way. I don't want this to become an issue later, so I'm trying to deal with it now. Is there someone I should contact so I can prove this, or should I just let it alone and assume it doesn't matter until/unless it comes up later?

Long Version:
I have an idea for a whole bunch of stories a character of mine is going to write, and I wanted art to go with the main characters. Because I can't draw for the life of me, I decided to commission an artist on DeviantArt to draw the characters for me. I explained that I wanted to use them off-site and she agreed. Now, these characters that I had her draw are going to be in a bunch of notes that I have no idea how widely scattered they will end up.

Since I didn't create the art myself I realize there could potentially be legal issues had I not gotten the artist's permission, so I wanted to establish that I do have that permission. I can provide screenshots of the notes where we discussed the commission, links to the art completed so far (for this project), and/or tell whoever is in charge of this how to contact the artist.

Or... I could assume that nobody really cares and go on with whatever, but I wanted to at least try doing the right thing as I saw it.
Wolfsong

Re: Proving Legal Art Use

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:01 am

If you want to do right by the artist, why not include their name, etc. in alt text?
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:13 am

Wolfsong wrote:If you want to do right by the artist, why not include their name, etc. in alt text?

That's a great idea. I like it because it's unintrusive, and doesn't break immersion.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:09 am

destinysWalrus wrote:Is there someone I should contact so I can prove this, or should I just let it alone and assume it doesn't matter until/unless it comes up later?

I think what you're doing is just fine destinysWalrus.
Wolfsong wrote:If you want to do right by the artist, why not include their name, etc. in alt text?

And I think this would be fine.

I can provide screenshots of the notes where we discussed the commission, links to the art completed so far (for this project), and/or tell whoever is in charge of this how to contact the artist.

I think that would be me, and you have permission from the artist so you're in the clear legally. Honestly I think it's great that you (and the artist) are doing this.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:16 am

Ohhhhh, alt-text, that's brilliant. I forgot I could do that. I just had a discreet ooc addition at the bottom of the note, think I'll change that now.

Anyway, thanks for the answers! Plans going full steam ahead, then.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 pm

From what I understand of copyright law, and it may vary by country.
You can use stuff with artist permission and sometimes you have to footnote credit.
You are only subject to sanction if you attempt to make profit from the use without permission.
Even then, the legal pursuit is usually civil unless the abuse becomes serial or repetitive.

When we are reviewing image submissions, you may want to contact PD prior so that your submissions are not 'accidentally' rejected.

We know Dali when we see it. :p

Be well
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)

Return to “General Support”