Animated Gifs in Notes

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Wolfsong

Animated Gifs in Notes

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:14 am

It's possible to insert animated gifs into notes via HTML. Is this intentional?
Millhouse

Re: Animated Gifs in Notes

Postby Millhouse » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:05 am

New map of Teregotha

computaertist

Postby computaertist » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:15 am

Only if correctly role played. Perhaps as a flipbook.

Or maybe as a popup book where you pull a tab to make the footprints move. Or some other creative papercraft.

But not as magic.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:14 am

The only other post I could find regarding animated gifs actually suggested they should be roleplayed as magic, though that was from 2005.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Really? *does a search*... Ah, I see... Well, I suppose they just weren't feeling creative enough at the moment to explain moving parts any other way and didn't want to be stuck monitoring notes or having to remove gifs and html animation from notes.

But the Capitol Rule explicitly states "There is no magic in Cantr. All characters are presumed to be human. You are free to create characters who believe strange things, but other characters may treat them as insane." And I doubt that idea is going to be removed during the revision that's going on. In my search I also found a staff forum topic of two posts with the question and answer, probably in regards to a player's PM about this, and the conclusion seemed to be that we couldn't disallow animated notes on the premise of realism because there's hardly anything realistic about notes anyway, but they didn't want to allow it because it didn't make sense to them. My answer, therefore, is to try to make it make sense. If you can do that, and you can follow the CR, you can do anything.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Whether allowing animated gifs is a good idea, I'm not sure, but I agree with computeraertist. I consider this a similar concept as the book notes that allow you to click to different pages, which I think is a nice idea.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:51 pm

My char has an animated gif, that is on a spell note :D It's totally a spell, and she has used it! But won't let anyone else see it 'cause it might have been created by dark magic.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 am

computaertist wrote:My answer, therefore, is to try to make it make sense.

I'm not actually sure it needs to "make sense" - which is to say, I don't think it has to be explained using real world analogs. Since it's Cantr, it might be better off just not explaining it at all.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:39 am

I'm with computaertist on this one, especially also in terms of magic. Pretending it's magic is a good idea, but the rule stands, there's no real magic in Cantr ;)
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:42 pm

I'll concede that I don't see any problem with not explaining it in the note and having your character refuse to reveal their secrets of animation. Still, characters of players who don't want magic in the world will be free to come up with their own logical explanations and regard anyone claiming it's magic as a liar or crazy or both.

My characters live in a world of magic, but as a player I always keep a logical explanation at the ready in case someone reports me.

Return to “General Support”