working at reins not making difference

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

viktor

working at reins not making difference

Postby viktor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 pm

so i'm on a horse... fully decked out. i leave a town, not working at the reins, though there is an inactive working at reins project. first movement tick, i am 21% down the road.. i notice i was not working at the reins so i begin working at the reins..... next travel tick i am now at 42% down the road.. which is only another 21%

questions are now reaised
is there an error of sorts? there must be
was i travelling at the extra speed with the reins project existing but NOT being worked on?
are the reins just not working at all?

something is defenitly not going exactly as planned, thought i should bring it up.
*Wiro

Re: working at reins not making difference

Postby *Wiro » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:25 pm

It gets applied on the project tick, not the travel tick.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Undine

Postby Undine » Thu May 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Terribly sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but I'm also very confused when it comes to using the reins :lol: So, what's the best way to use the reins? Should I just keep using the project as I travel, and not worry about projects until I get to the destination? And how much do the reigns actually help? I'd be willing to elaborate on the wiki article once I have a better understanding of it :)
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu May 05, 2016 2:47 pm

I know the answers but I'm not sure if it's something you're supposed to find out in-game or if it's ok to share here.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu May 05, 2016 4:28 pm

If you're using reins, you get to approximately the edge of unenhanced range of view in one hour. Without reins, it's shorter than that (maybe half? maybe more?). I haven't really compared by how much. The main thing is if you're mapping without binoculars or telescope and using reins, you need to log in after each travel tick or you won't be able to connect the pieces in Photoshop.
Not-so-sad panda
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu May 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Well like with all land travel the weight and road conditions have a big effect.

To answer the first question, since it's already been answered here before, is that in order to get the bonus you have to be working the reins at the project tick that immediately precedes the travel tick. So if you want a bonus on every travel tick you need to work on reins every project tick while traveling. That includes the first one, so you can't complete a gathering project, then jump on your mount and leave town and expect a bonus. You have to work the reins before leaving town to get the bonus (as odd as that sounds).

I think I read somewhere on the forum once the exact percentage of bonus you get by using reins. I know that it is exactly the same amount of penalty for having a cart installed, so having both and using reins will negate each other and you'll travel at normal speeds.
Undine

Postby Undine » Thu May 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Ah, okay! All of this is very helpful. Thank you so much, everyone! :)

Return to “General Support”