Ordering bookcases

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

JosiahH

Ordering bookcases

Postby JosiahH » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:04 am

I'm looking for tips and/or divine intervention to help my librarian character order the bookcases in their library.

After building a number of bookcases in a single room, I wanted to label each bookcase with a category heading, and to have the categories proceed alphabetically. But I couldn't find any reliable way to figure out which bookcase I was labelling (the paper label "Change object description" menu doesn't display the bookcases contents, and doesn't seem to have them in the same order as the "Objects" view), so I settled for just labelling them in a random (non-alphabetical) order.

Now I am having a similar (but more circumventable) problem storing notes in the bookcases. Because they all already have a couple of notes in them, when I store notes from my inventory, every bookcases is listed as "bookcase (2000) - note, note, note *", so that it is hard to tell which is which. Happily, here they do appear in a reliable order in the "Store into" menu (namely, the reverse of the order they appear in the "Objects" view!), and it is also possible to make a particular bookcase stand out in the "Store into" menu by putting some weird non-note item in it first.

I guess what I'm asking is:

(1) Is there some easy way around these problems (particularly the first problem) that I'm missing?

(2) If not, would it be possible to make objects appear on the "Change object description" menu and the "Store into" menu in the same order as they do in the "Objects" view?

(3) Is it possible to have a demiurge from one or another of the OOC Departments re-order the bookcases in my library so that they are alphabetical by object description?
*Wiro

Re: Ordering bookcases

Postby *Wiro » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 am

Greek is aware of this problem, but he might have forgotten to fix it. If you have any knowledge about html, you could look at the object id as a reliable way of doing this. Personally I use firefox's debug tools.

On phones this is impossible, but on the computer you can hover over the "bookcase (2000) - note, note, note *" to find out the label name. The * means it has a label.
Read about my characters by following this link.
JosiahH

Re: Ordering bookcases

Postby JosiahH » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks, Wiro! These are helpful tools. :)

Return to “General Support”