Animal spawning (specifically breeding)

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

*Wiro

Re: Animal spawning (specifically breeding)

Postby *Wiro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Yeah, they do have their own values. It seems like now every animal has a fixed percentage without complicated formulae, and I'm not sure what the reason is for their exclusion from the wiki. It might be intentional since some things need to be figured out in-game.

Felixis wrote:Yes. Limit: 99 for one type of animal.

Is it really? I might be imagining things, but I thought I saw a pack of over a hundred pelicans.
Read about my characters by following this link.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:54 pm

*Wiro wrote:
Felixis wrote:Yes. Limit: 99 for one type of animal.

Is it really? I might be imagining things, but I thought I saw a pack of over a hundred pelicans.

I was wondering that myself. There are locations with rats well over the 100s. Maybe there is a limit of 99 on domesticated animals? Although, I thought those were limited by resource slots.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Domesticated animals are limited differently. Each domesticated animal type has a variable attached to it. In the case of horses it's 2. That means that for every 2 domesticated horses, 1 resource slot is used. So if you have 12 resource slots, you'd have a limit of 24 horses. This value is usually between 2 and 6.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Specifically domesticated animals in packs take resource slots. You can separate animals from packs to free up a slot, though they stop "growing" at that point and won't increase meat, milk, wool, eggs etc.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Millhouse wrote:The wiki used to list the reproduction rate on a lot of animals. That info seems to have been removed when Sanchez did the big update to the wiki pages for all the animals. Migration rate and lifespan seems to have been removed too.

This page kind of explains rates but it's a bit useless without knowing an animal's reproduction rate.

I do like the updates that were made to the animal pages, but that info was useful and it would be nice to have it back.

*Wiro wrote:I don't think that anything published regarding reproduction rate (including what is still there, like the page you linked) is still relevant to the current animal system. Those were all values from before the animal reform and haven't been true or relevant for many RL years.

The reason I didn’t include a lot of the old information about reproduction rates, travel chance, lifespan, etc. was as Wiro says, that much of it was out of date, and it was displayed inconsistently across languages. Both GreeK and Echoman had input into what was included in the new templates. The average quantities of resources gathered also was removed, for similar reasons. After the next overhaul of the animal system, if this sort of information is both fixed and important for the wiki, it should be easy to include, now that the templates are (or will be soon) the same across all languages.

I hope somebody else soon will add more text specifically to the domestication page about how everything works now. There’s only so much that can go onto individual animal pages.

Back to topic, as far as I know, things like population limits were set per species. I think it could be done better, because we should all remember that animals are just bundles of resources, and there’s a lot of duplication in the current system (colourful names aside).
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Well it's been another week and still haven't seen any animals breeding. Anyone else?
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:16 pm

I finally saw one animal spawn!

Can anyone confirm if this was a bug or just really really bad luck in multiple locations?
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Well, sheep still reproduce like crazy like mouflons too so maybe it's just bad luck or combination of two?
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Sheep and mouflon were two animal types I noticed weren't spawning in my locations. So you definitely have seen new animal spawn within the last six weeks, Sherman?
sherman

Postby sherman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Yup, they spawn maybe slower than before though (I remember how one town quickly got swarmed by sheep if you didn't cull their numbers down). But yeah I have seen new animals spawn on past six weeks. So maybe you just have had few numbers? Seems when you have 2 they are slow but more you get the faster it goes
-Erwin Rommel-
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:42 pm

I didn't think having more than 2 animals in a pack increases spawning chances. But apparently some of the info on the wiki is based on old info. So you could be right. But the locations I monitor only keep two in their animal packs and spawning was pretty regular until about six weeks ago.
Spider

Postby Spider » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:48 am

On 4801 I joined 2 of the bushpigs I tamed into a pack, on 4803 a third domesticated one appeared, on that same day I removed one from the pack. On 4812 two more bushpigs appeared for a total of 4 in a pack and 1 in the object tab. I slaughtered the 1 bushpig from object tab and then separated another and slaughtered that 1 too for a total of 2 killed on 4812. So I have 3 bushpigs in a pack and they have not reproduced since...it is now 4835.
Spider

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Update: 4856

The 3 domesticated bushpigs have still not reproduced.
sherman

Postby sherman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:58 am

Spider wrote:Update: 4856

The 3 domesticated bushpigs have still not reproduced.

Really? Sheep still do reproduce like crazy and I would think pigs would have done so since it's been so long already. So maybe there's something wrong on code..
-Erwin Rommel-
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:04 am

My owls are like that. They were around awhile, then fattened a bit before they produced one, then after awhile longer three popped up, and now theyre sterile again. Though I did have one out of the pack and it didn't eat a few days before I joined it back in. I'm not sure if them eating is related.

Edit:Maybe owls and bushpigs are seasonal breeders :lol:
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in

Return to “General Support”