Certificate?

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Slowness_Incarnate

Certificate?

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:57 am

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.cantr.net. The OCSP server has no status for the certificate. (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_unknown_cert)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I..am not sure that I understand this problem, Cantr worked a few hours ago and now its giving me this, but it works on Internet Explorer, just not firefox? Anyone know what I might be able to do in order to fix this? I restarted my computer and my router, but neither worked.
Birdman

Re: Certificate?

Postby Birdman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:26 am

Getting the same thing on Firefox, but it works on Chrome
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:39 am

Yeah, it's doing it for me too. I even went and got that update Firefox has been nagging me about and still the same error.

Still works fine on my phone, and I'd rather stick with that than (ugh...) use Chrome. :P Haven't been able to test it with IE yet.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:37 am

Oh good, I was just about to post this myself and thought it was just my system. Good to know it's not just me. I'll sit back and hope it gets resolved! :) I was about to ask if anyone had any ideas how to fix it.
returner

Postby returner » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:59 am

It sounds like it's an issue with the SSL Certificate provider who generated a new certificate that isn't recognised yet. There was a post in 2013 about this, on another forum:

New requirements placed upon certificate authorities forced us to implement a new OCSP responder and related infrastructure. One of the drawbacks is that newly generated certificates are not yet known to the responder and if the site is accessed before that a cached response about an unknown certificate remains. We are looking into reducing that time, which however might have an effect on performance which is also very important to us.

Current performance of the StartCom OCSP responders are very good and we'll like to keep it this way: https://revocation-report.x509labs.com

Unfortunately it will affect new installations.

SSL is good for protecting your password and anything you do inside Cantr from prying eyes. When a server administrator enforces SSL, it means you can't access the website without SSL working 100%, which again is good for protecting your password (otherwise it can be easily seen by someone who knows what they're doing - this is called packet sniffing). As each browser accepts SSL certs in different ways, this explains why the SSL cert has failed Firefox's approval system.

It should just return to normal shortly once Firefox recognises it as a legitimate certificate. Not much Cantr staff can do here, as far as I am aware.
Last edited by returner on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

It was working a few minutes this morning and then broke again.

I lost a long note I was writing about a complicated machine. :(
Kelna

Postby Kelna » Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Huh. I've actually been having a problem with the certificate since around the beginning of the year, but with my phone, not the computer. I assumed it had something to do with the cookies on it, but only deleted them recently, and even that didn't fix it. It's good to know I'm not the only one having trouble with it.
Pies
Programming Dept. Member

Postby Pies » Thu May 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Kelna wrote:Huh. I've actually been having a problem with the certificate since around the beginning of the year, but with my phone, not the computer. I assumed it had something to do with the cookies on it, but only deleted them recently, and even that didn't fix it. It's good to know I'm not the only one having trouble with it.

What phone do you have? Do you know what system in which version?

Also, error message would be helpful.
dwudziestoletni mężczyzna wrote:"OOC: Jak ci się nie podoba, to nie graj. Ta gra nie szuka więcej graczy."

kaloryfer wrote:This game already has a lot of problems, new players would only bring new ones.
Kelna

Postby Kelna » Thu May 28, 2015 4:20 am

Pies wrote:
What phone do you have? Do you know what system in which version?

Also, error message would be helpful.

A Windows phone, Nokia 710. I have no idea how to check system and version (but if someone can point me the right way, I would appreciate that.) I can get the error message, though.

"We're having trouble with this site's security certificate. It looks like the security certificate wasn't issued by a trusted certificate authority. This can indicate an attempt to fool you or access information you send to the server. We recommend that you don't continue to this website. Go back to the previous page or enter a new web address in the address bar."

Then it gives two options. "Go back to the previous page" and "Continue to website (not recommended.)"

All I know, is it makes the website into a mess. If I go in, the background turns white and every button and icon turns invisible, but I can click on them, and I can type. If I refresh the page, it's back to green and I can see the icons and buttons, can't use them, and I can't post.

It's a really bad impression of the site, but I assumed the problem is my phone, not the site itself. And funny enough, I have no problems with the forum.
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Sun May 31, 2015 9:53 am

I seem to have a different issue with the Cantr security certificate. It appears that the expiration was today, and so my browser is now warning that the StartCom certificate has expired.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sun May 31, 2015 10:00 am

Same problem here though connection seems to be secured still luckily
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Optimus Christ

Postby Optimus Christ » Sun May 31, 2015 10:20 am

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.cantr.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

What the heck?
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Sun May 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Also getting:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from http://www.cantr.net (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Chrome, windows 8, university internet connection, running Norton for virus protection etc. if that's informative. I think there'd have been a bit more uproar if this were affecting everyone though?

Oddly, if I follow the link the board decided to hyperlink without my input it works fine, and says the certificate doesn't expire until July?
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sun May 31, 2015 4:53 pm

They have new certificate now. So that's why
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Sun May 31, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm still getting the error trying to get in through google though.

Return to “General Support”