Weather not showing up?

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Weather not showing up?

Postby Bmot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:11 am

Somehow, my location shows the sign of three falling droplets but refuses to say what kind of weather it is. It doesn't show when I hover my mouse over it either. Is there a description missing or something?

Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
PaintedbyRoses

Re: Weather not showing up?

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 am

Maybe the rain is evaporating in midair.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

It must be a mirage.

Also that weather icon doesn't look familiar. Don't the rain icons usually have clouds?

Edit: If your character is near a jungle, maybe that's supposed to be tropical rain. If I recall, it's called an unexpected downpour on the locations page.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

There are a number of different icons for rain, trying to represent the different kinds, from drizzle to downpour. Why it is not showing (text) in the example above, I have no idea.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Nope, no jungles nearby, and as far as I know there weren't any messages for weather changes either.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Can you check what the mouse-over text for that rain icon says? None of my chars currently have it.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 pm

No mouse-over text appears...
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm

EchoMan wrote:Can you check what the mouse-over text for that rain icon says? None of my chars currently have it.

He said in the original post that it doesn't say anything on hover-over.

And yeah, there's four different types of rain (drizzle, rain, downpour, storm) and they all use a cloud with either one, two, or three raindrops or a lightning bolt for storm. I don't know what the icon for a tropical storm looks like though. There's very few jungle locations in game.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Millhouse wrote:
EchoMan wrote:Can you check what the mouse-over text for that rain icon says? None of my chars currently have it.

And yeah, there's four different types of rain (drizzle, rain, downpour, storm) and they all use a cloud with either one, two, or three raindrops or a lightning bolt for storm. I don't know what the icon for a tropical storm looks like though. There's very few jungle locations in game.

Yeah, I missed that in my excitement of possibly being able to help. Sorry. :)

There is also the "unexpected downpour", this could be it. It rarely rains in desert locations, right?
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

I think unexpected downpour is the same as tropical storm. I've only seen it once since I started playing. And yeah it's rare to see rain in deserts. My guess is that the icon is like a default icon. The game got confused by the lack of any weather and so it threw up a default type of icon.

Damned global warming.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Actually, some desert locales are known for their sudden downpours. I just watched a NOVA about Petra, the desert city carved in stone around 300 B.C., in Jordan's southwestern desert. They used to have a series of dams to managed the water as it flowed through a steep gorge. The dams helped to protect the ancient residents from flash floods caused by sudden extreme rains.

When the dams were destroyed by an earthquake, the city became mostly deserted and the floods went unchecked. In 1963, Petra was hit with a destructive flood, and 27 French tourists were killed.

What Happens in Petra When It Rains?
http://exploreforayear.com/middle-east/ ... ain-jordan
Last edited by PaintedbyRoses on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 pm

EchoMan wrote:
Millhouse wrote:

Yeah, I missed that in my excitement of possibly being able to help. Sorry. :)

There is also the "unexpected downpour", this could be it. It rarely rains in desert locations, right?

The unexpected downpour could be it, but I'd expect an event for that too, and I didn't see anything. I might've been inside though... (but with a window)
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I've seen this now too. There's a clue if you right click on the icon and view the image (you can do this with any of the weather icons. The images are named appropriate for each type of weather)

There's apparently a weather type called "desert rain" that's not listed on the wiki and one I've never seen before in-game. I don't know if it's new or just so rare that it's hardly ever seen. Either way, the game doesn't seem to recognize it either because the location page lists no weather, just a blank space where weather text should be.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 am

Thanks for adding those details. I'm sure it will get sorted out soon. :)

Return to “General Support”