Spawnpoints

Out-of-character diskussionsforum för Svenska spelare

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Spawnpoints

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm

I believe that the Swedish are the only other group besides the Portuguese that have fixed spawnpoints. It was my plan to have this fixed system in place until March 1st, after which we'd go back to the dynamic spawning. How has the fixed system worked out for your group?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Re: Spawnpoints

Postby EchoMan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 pm

From my experience (and from what I have chatted with another player about) it has been mostly successful.

A couple of the old towns have got a couple of more characters. This is very positive.
A couple of the semi-old colonies have got a few newspawns. This is also positive.
No newspawns (to my knowledge) in "wrong" language groups. Very positive.
One of the newer colonies among the fixed spawn points, have no elderly swedish characters left, so this spawnpoint have been negative. I think most characters are spreading out from there or sleeping though. Apparently there are two settlements with at least a couple of swedish characters in the vicinity.
During this time we have (to my knowledge) had one or two (the statistics page seems to fluctuate a little from day to day) new players in the Swedish language group, and with only five spawnpoints there have been occasions of sleepers or suicidal newspawns when spawning several chars in the same location, which - of course - is negative.

All in all I would say it has had desired effect, building up a few places that will have a higher chance of getting spawns in the future. If the bug with spawning in other language groups areas is sorted out I think we might be ready to move back to the dynamic spawn system "on schedule".

My only real concern are the two swedish characters still in Shai (or near to it) for quite some time more. But I guess we can handle a couple of newspawns in game there. :)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:41 pm

If there are only two Swedish characters in Shai, they could be changed into English but still be allowed to continue speaking Swedish. The only difference would be that the interface was in English.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:17 pm

These two are building a galleon to sail "home" (without having much of a clue to where that actually might be). :)

It would be enough if my char was made english temporary, right? If so go ahead, can't speak for the other one.

One more question, spawning is more likely to happen the larger the group of people from the same language group is in one location? Or did I dream that?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Nope, large groups are more likely to attract spawns. How long is it going to take for the galleon to be finished? Since if it won't be too long, might as well wait until those two have left the island.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 am

Hard to predict an ongoing event, but a galleon is 30 days, the wood for it is about 70 days, refining iron and making steel I don't know but say 30 days there too. Then gather/cook food for a journey of however many years the characters believe this journey will take... Feels kinda long. :)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:10 pm

SekoETC wrote:Nope, large groups are more likely to attract spawns.

All things being equal, yes. However, there is a dispersion affect of unknown strength that is the cause of so many displaced characters spawning colonies. I guess it's best to wait on this and get another update in 30 days.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:28 am

For as long as I've played Cantr, new colonies has been favoured when it comes to spawning of new chars. Meaning that for the first few days, the new colony gets a good portion of the new spawns. Which have led to that chars have spawned with a higher procentage further and further away from the core locations.

So a way to solve it could be to ad a restriction to the code with a random code that favours old locations before the newer ones. A city that has existed as a spawnpoint for a longer time then another will get more of the spawns then the one with lower age.

That's if the locations has any kind of spawn-age logg, otherwise it could be solved by distance from a "fixed" spawn point.

Edit: Or by doing it by how large the population is, meaning that larger populations will have a higher chance of getting more spawns.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 pm

So, how are you folks doing? Did you want dynamic spawning turned back on?
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Weighing the negatives and the positives I have to say yes.

We are still a very much scattered people, but I guess that's the way it is. If people want larger communities they will search for them. As for the 2 (?) players who have started while the locations have been fixed I don't think it has been so much fun, spawning 2 or even 3 or 4 characters in the same place over and over again. For anyone unfortunate enough to spawn in Shai (2 swedish chars still there for a couple of years or so) it can be solved in game hopefully. The original islands have got a little boost in new characters, which is good, maybe that is enough.

So my vote is: yes, turn on dynamic spawning again.

I'd be happy to hear other players voices too, doesn't seem that many of them frequent the forums though. I have one of them on MSN who says: "What? I don't care, I already spawned all my characters." (translated by me) :lol:
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Alright, I'll go ahead and ask Seko to turn it back on then.

Return to “Svenska spelare (Swedish)”