Animals/djuren

Out-of-character diskussionsforum för Svenska spelare

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Animals/djuren

Postby Doug R. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:03 am

Greetings! I'm the new Resource Department Shepherd, charged with keeping watch over the animals in Cantr. I'm starting this thread so I can get feedback from all the language groups about the animal situations on their islands. Your feedback is appreciated, even if (especially if) everything is perfect (if it's not broke, don't fix it).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:30 pm

Since no one else answers to this thread, i'll do it. i have not many characters left on the original swedish area, but what my few characters there have seen is a animal population that is under control. But on every, almost, swedish colony the animlas are overwhelming. But as i see it, it's part of the life for pioneers. When the colonies gets more populated the animals will decline to a handleable amount. But until then it's the animals that rules.

I feel that this is not something that should be changed. Did Colombus find only one rabbit? No! He found a hugh amount of animals of different types, that at first wasen't that afraid of humans.

So my vote is, no change to the population of animals in swedish areas.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi again. In my ongoing quest to make each island's fauna unique, I've gotten to your islands, specifically, the one I'll call Ssongio. My question is, how attached are you to your gorillas and toucans? The new fauna I'm envisioning will have a three new primates, a species of eagle, a smaller canine predator, and possibly another small bird. In all, you'd have 1-2 more animal species there than you have now.
Bear

Postby Bear » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Are you planning to take away gorillas Doug?
I have a character who's lived with them for more than sixty years now..., the place wouldn't be the same without gorillas imo.
Toucans I never had a character able to relate to in any way, so I don't mind if they're not there any more.

Well, that's my humble point of view...

but

Don't touch the gorillas! :evil:
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:22 pm

There is another island that already said that gorillas were important to their culture. The easiest thing is to replace one of them with another great ape. There are other possible solutions, such as introducing gorilla sub-types, and the least desirable, which would be to clone them. Let's see what others say, and then I'll think about the best possibilities.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Regarding the island I'll call "Scer," how do you envision this island?

In the animal replacement process, I like to make direct replacements that match the replaced animal in most respects. The problem is, I'm quickly running out of direct replacements for horses and zebras, which were used heavily when animals were originally seeded. The horse family is just not very broad (zebras, horses, and asses), and I've pretty much exhausted it. Any suggestions for replacements would be welcome.
SCUBA

Postby SCUBA » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:59 pm

So each island over the whole cantr world should have uniq animals? That sounds strange to me. Domestication will be very hard as it has to be implemented uniq on every island or animals has to be exported. That would be nice.

Anyway!
On the Sz island. Dont take away sheep.
On the Ssonigo island. Dont put in any hide or sinew animal.
On the Sc island. Maybe russ can be a hourse/zebra alternative. http://www.raresteeds.com/Breeds/gotland.htm
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:29 pm

SCUBA wrote:So each island over the whole cantr world should have uniq animals? That sounds strange to me.

Yes. The two purposes are to add flavor to the game, and to make the animal system manageable on an island level (it is currently managed globally, so over population of rabbits on island A can affect the population of rabbits on island B).

SCUBA wrote:Domestication will be very hard as it has to be implemented uniq on every island or animals has to be exported. That would be nice.

Domestication is a very, very long way away, and at this point, I'd be against implementing it at all (for the simple reason that I'm putting a lot of work into making the animals manageable locally, but exporting animals would undo all of that, so if you export some of island A's animals to island B, and someone raises a large herd there, it will permanently reduce the number of animals on island A unless the herd on island B is killed.) The only way around this would be to make domesticated animals new animals entirely, even if they escape and return to the wild. Also, with the number of total animals hard-capped, there won't be any room for domesticated animals until we get a faster server.

SCUBA wrote:Anyway!
On the Sz island. Dont take away sheep.
On the Ssonigo island. Dont put in any hide or sinew animal.
On the Sc island. Maybe russ can be a hourse/zebra alternative. http://www.raresteeds.com/Breeds/gotland.htm

That's really good information, thank you. The problem with using horse breeds is that they are generally named after real-world geographical locations, which the RD has decided is a no-no. Russ would be fine, but using the full name, Gotland Russ, couldn't be done (although I have no control over how the LD translators name things).
SCUBA

Postby SCUBA » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:28 am

Doug R. wrote:
SCUBA wrote:So each island over the whole cantr world should have uniq animals? That sounds strange to me.

Yes. The two purposes are to add flavor to the game, and to make the animal system manageable on an island level (it is currently managed globally, so over population of rabbits on island A can affect the population of rabbits on island B).

Wouldnt it be hard to manage animals as island size differs so much? An island with 2 places contra an island with 10000 places. Or is the very big island/s devided into smaller areas?
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:59 am

Big islands can be divided geographically, yes. The only difference between big and small islands is that bigger islands theoretically have more animals of any given species, and as such have more stable populations (this is even more true if the larger island has locations uninhabited by players). On smaller islands dense with players, it will ultimately be up to the players not to hunt their animals to extinction (I'm being very forgiving of this for now. Once the process is completed, and I've published the new animal rules, I won't be reseeding the animals the players kill off).

Return to “Svenska spelare (Swedish)”