Telegraphs

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

swampthing_bob

Telegraphs

Postby swampthing_bob » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:26 am

I know this has probibly been suggested before but i think it would be good to have telegraphs or telephones or a fax like machine. It would be easier to communicate with dieffernt towns and if you have outposts you can tell if an army is comming or if a town needs help.
Don't make me angry
swymir

Postby swymir » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:16 pm

The only way I would want to see this happen is if it were hard to send a message. You would need to put in some recources that were hard to come by or something and the area you can call was all connected by power lines or soemthing. You shouldn't be able just to call your friend who lives in another city just for the hell of it. This way it isn't impossible for someone to iniate an attack,
swampthing_bob

Postby swampthing_bob » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:50 pm

Of course you would need wires unless we can make satelights. You might need copped and rubber to make a wire and wood for the post.
Don't make me angry
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:37 pm

Once you make a telegraph pole i think they work on pretty low power. For some reason I seem to recall telegraph machine (another thing to make and connect ot the lines) can run of dynamos
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:33 pm

Telegraphs have been discussed before, can't remember who it was but someone suggested that the telegraph wires should be like a road improvement, and copper is a must for the wires, which is rare enough as it is. Telegraph wires could possibly be improved like roads also, to phone lines, fiber obtics, etc. as more tech is introduced.
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:41 pm

Yes, definaltely copper.

I think you should have to build a telegraph pole in town, and the target town, then build the lines between them (requiring rubber and copper for the wires and wood for more poles) as a road improvement.

Possible to use them you require a telegraph machine, and to have more than one machine connected a telegraph exchange? well, the exchane for phones definately
Cathy Willey

Postby Cathy Willey » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:50 pm

Now I'm curious about "telegraph tech". In Ye Olden Days, did telegraphs simply relay all the messages to every station they were connected to, or was there some way to route a message to a specific station?
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:56 pm

I haven't looked, but I suspect there was a separate line for each station, and maybe for long distances several stations relayed it.

I'll take a look around the great and wonderful internet and see what turns up.
Báng

Postby Báng » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:56 pm

Whoa there David, thats some amount of reading for me to do. Very detailed though, and no doubt helpful.

The saying you learn something new everyday is in effect at this minute!
griogal

Postby griogal » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:02 pm

I personnally believe messenger and postal services should be developped and even promoted, before a telegraph could be installed (although I prefer the loe postman/messenger over the impersonal telegraph).

I fear however, telecommunication in general, would make capital rule rule breaking easier or at least more tempting.

It is already hard to develop different characters in one location, so why make it even more by allowing instant communication between different locations?

Historically, the telegraph was part of the postal service. I know it poses an extra effort on the Players department, but if telegraph were allowed, I would suggests that at least a postal service between the locations concerned be established as a pre-requisite.
griogal

Postby griogal » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:41 pm

Was that in EU? Becuase in the USA the postal service had as much to do with telpegrpah as the do with e-mail today. They were slow even to implement the tech for themselves. It was considered working outside of their federal mandate

Yes, in Belgium for example, you originally had something like PTT: Post, Telegraph, Telephone, which was owned by the government until some 10 years ago.
swampthing_bob

Postby swampthing_bob » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:16 am

It would be kind of hard to own it because some one can make a telephone or whatever and hook it up to a line. Also if we do get telephones should be two ways to talk into it a private way where you talk to one certian place and a non-privte one where any one can listen in.
Don't make me angry
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:43 pm

Cutting down telegraph lines to break communication would be very fun :twisted: , and much easier to do than killing the postman... and more expensive to undo. Definitely would add more special operations to warfare
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:15 am

I think someone likes *bumping* really old messages...

Not my idea of fun... :cry:

Just wanted to day that, now, bacjk to business. like....... Cantr maybe?
:P
Life is fun. Play naked with Psycho-Pixie.

"Our enemies are resourceful and innovative".
"and so are we..."
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and people"
"and neither do we"
~G.W Bush
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:16 am

All the old messages are new to them. Look at the join date.

Oh yeah. *bump* to the topic again.

Return to “Suggestions”