Mid turn heartbeat

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Meh

Mid turn heartbeat

Postby Meh » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:57 am

It seems that the heartbeat of the game is fixed at three hours and cannot be changed.

There can still be mid turn game generated events just not reliable one.
So I still don't have an answer for a five minute heartbeat for "near town travel"
But I do have a sugesstion on how to move some not critical event into mid turn and away from turn change.

Spawn an event off of the page that the CHARACTERS LIST is on.
This event would have to be short.
If there are mutiple events in a list yet to do limit the count to 1, just do that one, and mark it done.
That shouldn't add too much more time.
The event that is triggered would be anywhere in the game not just for this player.
The player would not be aware of what event was triggered.

Examples:

We all need to eat once a day.
All chracters are put in the midturn event list as "eat early".
When your "eat early gets tirggered you eat right then for one chracter.
That chracter is marked as excluded from the end of day eat run.

Animals acting more like players.
Animal action could happen thoughout a turn.
If the animal action for a group is triggered midturn even if it does nothing it would be skipped at end turn.

Moving
Don't you hate when your 99% there and your moving faster that 1% per turn.
A bit quick math to determine if the travel is over mid turn would be interesting.
It may avoid some of the "make sure your back at end turn to get everyone in this town" or "make sure your awake at the end of the hour to check for that one guy coming back" or "I am going to get them again in three real hours hehehe"
Leaving and coming back off of a trail MIGHT be able to be done multiple times with this semi-random method.

Gathering
Don't you hate being mostly done with a project?
A quick bit of math to check projects for early completion would be a nice random bonus.

Healing...
Other projects...
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:23 am

I haven't fully understood your idea, I think. If I got it right, you want to move some events, that would normally happen at game hour time, to a random time when an arbitrary playe, for example, visits the character list. Which one? The one for that player, or the one for one of his characters on a specific location?

And the player, who initiated that event, is not necessarily the player of the character who would be affected by that event, right?

So, you're suggesting something like:

Player A goes to the events page of character A1. That fires an event for character Z4 of the player Z.

I'm sticking to the character example to get a clear idea of your suggestion. It's easy to generalize that idea to animals then, I guess.

The character Z4 would then 'receive' his event before the game hour passes.

Is that the idea?

What are the benefits of that idea? Wouldn't that just mean, that processes, which normally take say 5 game hours, just take 4 game hours and x minutes?

I don't see a big impact yet. Am I missing something?
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:30 am

It'd probably make everything less laggy during the hour change for one..I just can't do a damn thing for those few minutes :( :x :evil:
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:34 am

Thomas Pickert wrote:I haven't fully understood your idea, I think. If I got it right, you want to move some events, that would normally happen at game hour time, to a random time when an arbitrary playe, for example, visits the character list. Which one? The one for that player, or the one for one of his characters on a specific location?

And the player, who initiated that event, is not necessarily the player of the character who would be affected by that event, right?

So, you're suggesting something like:

Player A goes to the events page of character A1. That fires an event for character Z4 of the player Z.

I'm sticking to the character example to get a clear idea of your suggestion. It's easy to generalize that idea to animals then, I guess.

The character Z4 would then 'receive' his event before the game hour passes.

Is that the idea?

What are the benefits of that idea? Wouldn't that just mean, that processes, which normally take say 5 game hours, just take 4 game hours and x minutes?

I don't see a big impact yet. Am I missing something?

You got it.
The impact is less OOC planning and some sprinkled gifts of fairness

"Gotta go by the end of the hour to avoid them thar animals"

"If I turnaround after four turns I can be back right when I want to so I can hit everyone again"

"There's 7 people on a harvestor set to 10,000g that is 98% complete and a train leaves Cork County...Ah...they'll still be wating for the 3 hour heartbeat.

"I was hit for 1 percent. That's antother 3 real time hours on this day long project."
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:37 am

OniKaze wrote:It'd probably make everything less laggy during the hour change for one..I just can't do a damn thing for those few minutes :( :x :evil:

That reminds me...

I suspect turn reports lead to mid turn lag. {and since some people do their turn reports on the hour that just amkes things that much worse}.
Do turn reports do a "fuzzy read"? That's alot of data coming out for someone with two chracters each in Tirqi, Quil, and Siom {the talky triad as I like to think of them OOC}.

Since a turn report is data that will not be updated while the read is running, it is one of the few times a fuzzy read is a good idea.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:11 pm

what on earth is a fuzzy read? and I don't get my turn reports on the hour, I get them when i log onto cantr first time that day
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:33 pm

A fuzzy read is a database concept.

Normally when you read from a database and updates to the tables invloved make the reading wait. Normally that is a good thing since you want to wait for all pending updates to complete before getting your copy of the data.

A "fuzzy read" ignores any similtanoues updates and runs quicker which in this case would be OK since it is an extract of old data that will not be updated.

Return to “Suggestions”