Dropped Item Groupings

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Rob Maule

Dropped Item Groupings

Postby Rob Maule » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:48 pm

David Goodwin wrote:Having everything in one place it hard to adjust to.

Items only come from three places

dropping
project finishing
death

I would like to see things drop near people not in one spot.
A new icon on the people page that says "objects near this person".
You would still have an invetory of unstealable stuff at least for now.

dropping would become like giving.
If you drop near yourself it is near you.
If you drop near someone else it is near them. (And if their invenotry is too full and you give to them it also drops near them).
There should also be a choice for "the pile of junk in the middle of town" as today.

For project finsihing it should go to the initiators inventory or with a lack of the orginal initior, the one who has been on the porject longest. Maybe a give control button to projects too. Espically around those harvestors and drills.

Death produces a body in the middle of town. That body has a seperate area "near" it. Where it's inventory is. This also holds true for death on a path. If you bury the body without checking for goodies then that stuff is gone. (A way to get rid of notes?)

One more thing. If you leave town like go into a building and there is a pile of stuff near you. That goes to the center of town. But as a "pile". A "pile" looks sort of like a project with your name and the date on it.

When you come back into town it automatically comes back to the pile near you.

All this gives a real sense of who your stealing from. True thieves would have to look around and pick what to steal.

Things could be laid at someones feet as a sign of respect.

Although in the wrong place ;-), I think this is an excellent idea. I do think that all items should fall off dead bodies though.

Anyway. A little different than what you suggested. There would be a distinction between stealing and finding things off the ground. Right now there's no way to know which objects or group of resources someone was working on. Here's an example of a new Objects page:

Code: Select all

trowel [next to Joe]
200 grams of potatoes [next to a man in his twenties]
100 grams of potatoes [next to you]
3000 grams of potatoes [next to no one] <-- up for grabs!

But like you said, there would be a way to move those objects to another place. Ex:

You pick up 100 grams of potatoes that were next to you.
You drop 100 grams of potatoes next to David.
-OR-
You drop 100 grams of potatoes into a pile next to no one.

That last part would put them into a separate pile not near anyone. But it would display a link to that pile. That way you could drop things in a separate pile or one already established. Leaving a location would place stuff once next to you in a separate pile automatically. And like you said, when you return, it's all once again next to you. It would work just like the way projects do right now.

Here's an example of a corpse looter (I sure like my examples!):

You see Joe take a sword from next to the body of a man in his thirties.
Meh

Postby Meh » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:03 pm

Nice...
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:18 pm

When I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant grouping similar items so instead of this on the ground:

Trowel
Trowel
Trowel
Trowel
Trowel
Trowel

You see this:

6 Trowels

I think that would be a really helpful implementation, and part of that would allow you to pick up multiple tools at once

Return to “Suggestions”