Ideas for buildings and tools and other stuff

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:46 pm

Dynamic naming yes.
More than one door into a place, yes, but with what restrictions? Perhaps doors between rooms in the same structure, but then you could have some kind of dimension warping effect where all the rooms can connect to all the other rooms in a way that isn't physically possible, so I'd like it but not sure how it can be done in such a way where connecting buildings works as it should
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:51 pm

Why don't I add in windows into the mix? Perhaps you can build windows in a room that way you can look outside and see what's going on instead of being oblivious to the world. There can be different types of widows. Open windows, like in the Dark Ages in Europe where the knowledge of glass in many places was lost after the fall of Rome. This can be just a punch out of the stone but you would need a chisel (something to use a chisel for) and a pick-axe. Then you can have a window that is covered with glass and this can work like the window without glass except you're just adding a little extra and have to add glass to the project. :D

The doors would be hard to do. Perhaps when someone builds a new room onto an existing building you have to choose to a different side to build it on (or up eventually :D). That way a room that is surrounded by other rooms you could not build a door to the outside.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:58 pm

I forgot to add something about windows; glass windows would have the option to be opened or closed from the inside. That way you could open the window and hear what is going on outside but you could close the window if you didn't want to hear what was going on.

Maybe you could add option of someone climbing in throught window. Then you have theives trying to break in through the window. A glass window would be harder because it would require you to open it from the outside which it isn't meant to be. Plus going through windows would be highly visible so people would see it happening from both ends (inside and outside).

Plus the window idea can work with the breaking out od prison idea. People can sneak in pick-axes and a chisel and break out that way by making a window and climbing out.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:28 pm

Ah, you've got that room problem sorted.

I also like the idea of climbing in trhough windows, but if windows are included then you should only be able to see what is going on, only see people say things (if the window has glass f not then yes do hear it), and maybe you don't see everything that goes on, because of the limited view given by windows?
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:40 pm

If a glass window is closed then I don't think anyone would be hearing what's going on outside. I was thinking about whether or not someone should see what is going on outside but when you are in a house, do you always see what is going? No, because you're usually busy doing something else unless you're looking outside, so maybe add an option to the window of looking outside and seeing what's going on but if you're not looking then maybe you won't see what's going on.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:44 pm

ah, i see, i was thinking random chance, but yea, ure idea is better. You could have guards watching out of guardhouses so they can see trouble, but not be attacked
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:59 pm

Yeah, but maybe the guard could still be attacked by a ranged weapon if the there is no glass window or the glass window happens to be opened. :D
rklenseth

Stairs and upper floors

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:35 pm

I know this topic was being discussed on another thread but I thought I would bring it up here.

Stairs and upper floors. I think it would be great if you could build staircases that can go to upper floors. Perhaps, you would need to build a staircase first that will lead to an upper hallway. So, staircases could be made from either wood or stone and you would also have to add in enough resources for the hallway above. An upper floor hallway would be smaller than a regular room but you could build new upper level rooms in that area. Later you can build other levels by adding onto the staircase which would lead to the next floor. You would probably need a trowel, hammer, planer, and carving knife for this project.

Upper level rooms wouldn't affect the amount of space in a grid. Plus if you built windows in an upper level room you could see other grids. On second and third floor you would be able to see two grid away in the direction the window is facing. Four and up maybe you could see three grids away.

Plus, if there is a window on an upper floor room someone could use a ranged weapon to fire down on people from below and couldn't be hurt unless someone down below had a range weapon to fire back with. Add in my idea about having ammunition be made for range weapons, the person wouldn't be able to sit up in that room, locked up, and firing down on helpless people forever. Eventually he would run out of arrows or bolts and have to go get more.

Collasping and upper floors; I think you cannot build a room unless there is a room below to build on. So, lets say you build a building. Two editions are added onto the original building. When you go to build an upper floor the hallway would be located on top of the part of the structure that the staircase was built in. Since the hallway would be small you could still build a room on the part of the building that you built the hallway on top. Lets say you built the staircase within the original structure and the two editions are facing east and west of the original structure. From above you will have an option to build a room right above the original structure you built the hallway on and then you can build a room on the two editions facing east and west. You wouldn't be able to build a room north or south because there is no existing structure to build on. When a lower level room collaspes, all the upper level rooms above it collaspe with it and become totally destroyed. When a building is being attacked or torn down, you are attacking or tearing down the entire structure so any room would be destroyed when the building reaches 0% strength. Rooms within a building also have a strength value but can't be attacked or torn down but the strength of the room would be affected wear (the better the quality of workmanship the less the room will wear), elements (earthquakes, tornadoes, anything from mother nature etc..), the stress from having multiple rooms built above it, if a room above collaspes (could lead to a chain reaction where one room above collaspes bringing damage to the room below which might eventually lead to that room collasping). Any other ideas?
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:56 pm

I just thought of another idea. Perhaps you can build pillars or support beams in a room to up the strength of the room and the building.
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:52 am

Wood shutters could work just as well as glass. Early windows where actaully some kind of animal fat based concotion weren't they?

If the shutters are open you can see and hear some things. People can get in tough a window but it appears as a annoucment just like a door. Unless bars {iron} are put on the windows.

And there seems to be some progamming already built into being in a vechicle. Without getting into detail, the experince of being in a vechcle in a location is different than being in that location.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:08 am

Yeah, I never liked the fact that you couldn't see actions outside but you could hear what people say and which people are saying it. Personally, I think it should be vice versa. You can't hear things outside but you can see what is happening. Except for a bike where you should be able to do both. Or maybe even a small boat or a deck of a large ship.

Wood Shutters would be cool and could be the main thing for places that don't have the ablility to make glass.

I'm not sure about the animal fat. I do know that the Romans had the knowledge to make glass but that knowledge was lost when Rome fell and wouldn't be discovered again for a few hundred years as well did a lot get lost only to be rediscovered. It makes one wonder what knowledge we haven't found yet that the Romans or other ancient civilizations had :D . There are historians who say that if the Library of Alexandria hadn't been burnt by Caesar then humans would have landed on the moon in the 1500s A.D. Some say that whole histories of civilizations that we don't know existed or technologies and science that disappeared. It makes you wonder what kind of world would have turned out. But then again Caesar had to go and prove Freud's theories correct. :wink:

Iron bars would be another cool idea. That way prisons could have windows and perhaps before they could escape they would have to use file to get through the iron bars :P .

I think climbing through a window should be little harder than that. Maybe it could take a full Cantr hour to get in through the window and maybe a three Cantr hours to get through a window that has glass or wood shutters. That way it wouldn't be to easy to go in through a window, steal the stuff and be gone long before anyone could react.
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:19 am

If this is breaking the cap rule just delete it or let me know and I'll replace it with a smiley.

Something that occured to me that my chracters aren't in a postion to want to do...

If you want a tiny house with a sort of a window you can't close AND you don't border a lake or a sea then...

Build a longboat.

You can't hit anyone inside and no one inside can hit anyone outside but you can still see some things going on outside.

There is room to store you stuff.

Alternativly these could be used as a public stockaid to hold prisoners. You could talk to them directly to decide whether to kill them or set them free without all the going though doors thing.

Guard towers as well. You would miss some crimes but you could hear people screaming for help.

I attribute this idea to this thread and that one darter that got built some place.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:22 am

That seems to be stretching it and it's not something that I would do though I don't see it as a breaking the capital rule.

But it would be better if it was an actual building.
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:27 am

It's more like there is a bug with some of the boat types.

Can we use it? {question to the staff}

Wouldn't have wanted to do it without asking.

An imperial platform where the emperor is always there invunerable.
thingnumber2

Postby thingnumber2 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:34 am

just thought of another idea. Perhaps you can build pillars or support beams in a room to up the strength of the room and the building.

maybe you could build pillars instead of a room, so you could have rooms above it, without having to build a whole room....and you could also use them as monuments or something....

Return to “Suggestions”