Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Henkie

Re: Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr.

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't see the need for it, we have locks that seal buildings in which such a wealth can be stored, vehicles or ships that can safeguard it.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Think of the psychological angle, too. It adds an "accumulation of wealth" minigame, in a way. Many characters and players would be into that. Those who are not, can continue ignoring coins, it's not a forced thing by any means. The big point is that for the wealth accumulators, coins suddenly become a desirable thing to use and accept in trades.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Yes, you said that, and I don't see the point except you give people a way to store their iron in a safe place instead of having it stealable, which is normal.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:29 pm

It's coins, Henkie. Not simply iron itself. Doing it my way gives Coins an important Advantage, and special Desirability, hence the suggestion: Coin Advantage, the Bank of Cantr!
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Everyone can make coins, remember?
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Yeah, and as I explained, the bank would accept any coins you want, not only iron ones. Special uses for different kinds of coins as "I owe you's" might start to gradually grow out of that, because though iron ones are "backed" by iron (can be smelted back into it), no one would really want to, except in a dire emergency. It's a waste of time to mint coins and then smelt them back. Once Cantrians are aboard with their sex appeal and safety, I can imagine that different coins will see wider and wider usage, including non-iron types.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:07 pm

There is a form of abuse here, is what I meant to say.

One can make coins from their most precious things (iron, gold, platinum), and store them in this bank. Then retrieve them and reclaim them as they wish. It is a safe way of storing your most precious metals without any chance of them being stolen.

I don't see why we need this building, it has no great advantages and has the above stated negative effect. I think it is a waste of time for ProgD, but if you really want this thing, fine, but I won't use it :)
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:16 pm

You're catching on now! Only the thing you stated as the negative is the entire point of the suggestion. Giving this special "safe harbour" ability to coins.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Yes and I am saying it is useless since people have an inventory, and if you have more than 15 kilo's or iron to store, usually you're in a pretty developed town so there is no real reason to have to store it somewhere impenetrable.

Besides, I see it to be unfair. Why should one be able to store coins 'safely'? Why would there be a super-safe thing? It's illogical. Coins are coins and having a place safe place to store them will not greatly enhance their value. It will raise abuse of the bank for big towns to store their valuables safely so they can't be robbed from them.

It is probably my current annoyed state of mine (not because of you, but because of all the studying I did today) but comments as 'You're catching on now!' seem to belittling. I do not care for such insults. I hope you are not thinking yourself to be wiser, which is what the statement could be interpreted to emit.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:39 pm

God forbid, Henkie! That would be the height of arrogance next to a studious person such as you!

The answer to "why" is that coins need our help.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:43 pm

I disagree, coins don't need any help and there is no real reason for them to become a steady currency in cantr.

And you did not really comment on the complaints. You merely deflected my objections here by answering on a small part of my post.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Henkie, let's say that my suggestion was instead about giving milk to children. Your complaint is that in my suggestion, milk is given to children.

I am truly at a loss with this complaint.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:55 pm

That is a useless comparison :s

Then read back what I have said, I can start acting as a repeater but that's not the point of this. You had an idea and I gave why it should not be implemented. You obviously don't have a strong enough comeback against it so... Motion denied.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Banks should be robbable. Unnatural protection doesn't belong in Cantr. It's like way back some newbie suggesting an item called sherriff's star that would bestow the wearer some special police abilities.
Not-so-sad panda
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Actually, despite my visceral (and yes, Henkie's observation on this point is correct) reaction of "OMG! Another Cogliostro suggestion! Doesn't he have a life?" I actually find a lot of merit in this one (and to some points in his healing/dragging one). But please, stop suggestion-bombing.

Return to “Suggestions”