Complex machines have chance to break down from long disuse.

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Complex machines have chance to break down from long disuse.

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 am

If an advanced machine is not being used for a very long time, breakage could set in.
This makes the machine inoperable: "This machine looks broken and needs maintanence."

Some requirements, for which character is able to repair away this state:
- High skill level in "machine building"
- Appropriate tools depending on the machine. The more complex and fine the machine, the more/rarer tools should be needed.

Repairing would be a project similar to breaking a lock, in that there is a fixed chance to succeed based on the character's "machine building" skill, and it's rolled each hour until they finally succeed and the machine is fixed. It could be 1 hour or it could be quite a few hours of work. If a character is unskilled in machines, his chance to fix is low and so he could be stuck there a long time trying.

Better find the town mechanic.
Doug R.

Re: Complex machines have chance to break down from long disuse.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't see the point. It's much easier just to make machines wear like other items.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Doug, wear results in the machine being destroyed. I would be very much opposed to that for a whole bunch of reasons. But if they merely become disabled until repaired, that would be neat.

Creates new jobs. (tm)

"Damn it Pete, our fractional distillation stack broke down again!..Send out a radio for mechanics."
Last edited by Cogliostro on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Cogliostro wrote:Creates new jobs. (tm)

No it doesn't. It just pisses off the user and makes them spend time fixing it.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm in agreement with Doug on this. I don't see the point and it would only cause more frustration for the user. It would definitely piss me off.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm probably going to get shot down for this.

I actually agree with Cogliostro on this. It's realistic, it makes sense, and even if it does piss off the player/character, it can stimulate a little roleplaying. Besides, if it's been disused long enough for this to happen, then why would this make anyone really care about it again?

And anyways. You wanted to make other skills besides strength and fighting become more valuable to players, right? Here's one way.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 am

9 out of 10 times in real life, machines like a smelter or a spindle do not wear down, not even after 50 years of not using it. Millstones the exact same.

So... Anybody wants to make different scripts for all these different machines?

It's somewhat realistic, but not for all machines. Not by far.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 am

Henkie's right. Only for machines for which it makes sense, complex ones.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 am

Great, care to post a list to make your suggestion worth implicating?
oxyquan

Postby oxyquan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Henkie wrote:9 out of 10 times in real life, machines like a smelter or a spindle do not wear down, not even after 50 years of not using it. Millstones the exact same.

Why different scripts? It can use same properties like tools - rot points per day and per usage. And mills can have value like 1 or even 0, and drills something like 30 or 40.
oxyquan

Postby oxyquan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Henkie wrote:9 out of 10 times in real life, machines like a smelter or a spindle do not wear down, not even after 50 years of not using it. Millstones the exact same.

Why different scripts? It can use same properties like tools - rot points per day and per usage. And mills can have value like 1 or even 0, drills something like 30 or 40 and so on.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:38 am

@Snickie: Just because my char can only travel every few years to the other side of the island she lives on to gather and refine oil, it doesn't mean she doesn't care about those machines that enable her to do so. I can count a few more machines (alumina refiner for one) that mine will not get to use just yet purely due to the lack of resources. I dread to think all those machines breaking down. It is a no from me.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm

I don't see how this will stimulate RP. You mean in the way that chars flock to a specialized blacksmith when they need a weapon? Or how a town has such an amazing chef that people come from other towns to purchase baked goods? Oh wait.... ;)

Just as things happen now, there will be no "mechanic" called in. Someone will gripe for one or two posts about the damn machine breaking, then they'll be stuck inside (probably alone) even longer to fix it when it's already like pulling teeth to get chars to do ANY work inside.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
curious

Postby curious » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 pm

I agree... this will ultimately just tie people up inside buildings.
I also agree that there are many reasons and circumstances that lead to 'disuse', and such 'disuse' it not to be equated with ignoring machines. For all I know, when I am asleep, my chars potter about maintaining the machines.

Against.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I actually like this suggestion, though not the randomness of fixing being like lock breaking.

If it was a set hour-day manufacturing project (that like all others the time was affected by your skill) I'd like it a little better than just random.

I'm on board though, despite my slight twitch at the random.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in

Return to “Suggestions”