Requests for New Tools

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Mr. Bones

Requests for New Tools

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I noticed there was a thread up for musical instruments, weapons, animals, etc, but not tools, so thought I'd add this to the collection. Anyway, I do have a request for a new tool that I'd like to throw out there. Given how essential crowbars are for security in Cantr, I was thinking it might be cool to have a smaller crowbar that can be concealed. I always think of the ones in Cantr as the large variety the two foot long ones, but there are also smaller ones that can be held in one hand. This would give folks an edge in strict communities where crowbars are typically outlawed. Of course with a concealable crowbar should come a decrease in effectivness. It's smaller size should require longer periods of time for lock breaking projects, maybe 2 days compared to 1 day, or an increased chance of failure possibly could be a second alternative. Typically the hand held ones require rubber grips which are more necessary for those than with a fully steel crowbar you can handle with both hands. What do the rest of you think?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Requests for New Tools

Postby Piscator » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:05 am

I think this rather falls in the Locks&Lockpicking category of suggestions. Unfortunately the issue is a bit more complicated than adding a new tool, since the effect of crowbars is hardcoded into the game. In order to have a second lock breaking tool, ProgD would have to rewrite the game code to allow defining lock and lockpicking stregths via custom variables.
Pretty in pink.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:32 am

The original intent of the thread is to have a thread where people can request new tools to be implemented into the game. Mr. Bones stated in the same paragraph that he wants a smaller, concealable crowbar. The entire thread doesn't need to be moved to locks and lockpicking. Mr. Bones simply needs to separate his ideas better via paragraphs.

All that aside (look! a new paragraph!), I want baking pans for things like baking bread. Made of tin or aluminium, it would be treated as an added item to a baking project, and you'd get it back in the same condition when the project is completed.
Or maybe you need the baking pan in your inventory to start the project. Start the project through the baking pan and have it only work if an oven of the correct type is in the room? I dunno. Something like that.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:54 am

A thread to request more tools doesn't make much sense IMO, as we would either have to add them to an existing project just for decoration, or create a new (type of) project, which tends to be complicated enough to deserve an own topic.

A baking pan doesn't sound like a good idea as it's a) not strictly necessary to bake things and b) would limit baking to people with access to tin or aluminum.
Pretty in pink.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:49 am

To be honest, I wasn't sure this thread was necessary anyway (though I didn't say so in my previous post), and I didn't expect the baking pan to be added anyway, unless of course you guys decide to implement some other pastries like cakes or pies or anything overly-complicated, and that goes into the food and meal request thread.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:55 am

Yeah, that's pretty much the core of the issue. Tools are usually used to make something else. They don't have much purpose in themselves.
Pretty in pink.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 am

....Roleplay? Sparring items?

Jim says: "You idiot!"
You see Jim novicely attack Tom using an often-used aluminium baking pan.
Jim says: " -dumps the contents of the pan onto Tom's head- "
Jim says: "You gotta add the sugar, and THEN the eggs! Not the other way around!"

-shrug-

Is this thread officially obsolete?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 am

Well, you got frying pans for that. :wink:

I wouldn't call this thread obsolete, but I doubt that we're able to make good use of it. Feel free to prove me wrong. I guess a collective thread could be justified for discussing variants of existing tools made from different materials or new tools to collect certain resources.
Pretty in pink.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 am

....Copper/bronze frying pan? ;)
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:25 pm

But tools are added in the game to make projects shorter, so why would it be pointless? The shovel, pickaxe and axe all have a purpose in the game right? Why couldn't a new tool be added and the code altered to allow it to be used?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Well, tools to make projects shorter are added if a project needs to be shorter, not because it would be a nice thing to have. Discussing whether a resource is too hard to get requires more than an one-post request and should deserve an own topic. This is especially true for anything that involves new code and would actually make a difference in game.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Suggestions”