Keys/locks - ability to "key-alike" several locks

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Xavier Darkmyre

Keys/locks - ability to "key-alike" several locks

Postby Xavier Darkmyre » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm

When crafting a building/vehicle lock, we should have an option to enter a key number (or select from a key we're carrying). The new lock should then be linked to that key (along with any existing locks linked to it), making it possible to have a single key to open a collection of locks.

We should also be able to re-key a lock, to match an existing key (perhaps also to generate a new key/lock number), same requirements as copying a key.

And lastly, some way to break down an existing key to recover iron from it, so you could re-use it to make a new key (useful for getting rid of keys to locks long broken).
Xavier Darkmyre [and others]
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidty

Doug R.

Re: Keys/locks - ability to "key-alike" several locks

Postby Doug R. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 pm

That would be cool, although I suspect it's not possible given how locks are currently set up. If locks are identified by their lock ID in the database (obviously, keys are not), we'd have to restructure the lock DB to identify them in another manner.

So, I like this suggestion, but wonder how hard it would be to do.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Xavier Darkmyre wrote:And lastly, some way to break down an existing key to recover iron from it, so you could re-use it to make a new key (useful for getting rid of keys to locks long broken).

This can already be done using a stone table. Possibly a workbench, but not certain on that.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Yes, only in the stone table. :)

Return to “Suggestions”