Lock on Ship/Vehicle Controls

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

madfish

Lock on Ship/Vehicle Controls

Postby madfish » Fri May 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Ok third suggestion in two days. Sorry about that. I'm not trying to spam, I searched around for this and other than putting the controls in cabins I couldn't find anything.

----------------------------------

Quite simple really. You can lock ship vehicle controls if you have the key, so that only you can operate the vehicle. Much like how fuel tanks work.

Yesterday I suggested increasing travel times to counteract the dullness and monotony of walking, which is quite restrictive. So thinking of ideas to combat this I think encouraging transport business would be a good way to go. Now the major problem I see with transport is it currently depends highly on trust. Currently you can't let someone in your car/ship without trusting they wont drive off with it. You have to drag people on and off and can't let them go in/out at their own leisure because that means unlocking it, and it potentially getting stolen.

As a real life example consider your car. In real life you have to unlock the door then put the keys in the ignition. Someone who breaks into it can't just drive off with it.

So the main advantage of this would be a huge increase in transport businesses. I can imagine a character running a bus service. Drops a timetable in the towns on the route and says his prices. He rolls into a town, announces that the bus leaves in x hours time pay when you get on or off. He can then leave the bus and do whatever he wants in town, safe in the knowledge that the people getting on his bus aren't going to drive off with it. Same sort of thing could be done with a ferry service.

Then, when you are travelling nobody can change the direction of the boat/bus or dock it etc. etc.

As a direct result of more transport we will see more road improvement as people running these businesses will subsidise road improvement projects to increase business etc.

Are there any downsides?
West is the new North!
Indigo

Re: Lock on Ship/Vehicle Controls

Postby Indigo » Sat May 28, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm sure there will, but I can't see them (maybe about the programming thing, but I haven't the slightest idea about how complicated that could be to implement).

I like this idea. It could introduce some nice changes in how things work in game.
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Sat May 28, 2011 3:46 pm

there would be no thrill of the risk of people taking your car or ship. things would get a bit more dull. no more chasing vehicle thieves. i dont like the idea. it makes sense realistically for motorized land vehicles, yes....but there are many things in cantr which are not realistic that we like.
madfish

Postby madfish » Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 pm

You like chasing vehicle thieves? I really hope that's not a majority feeling as the idea that the fun in cantr is in chasing thieves I find fairly depressing.

I would have thought the general reaction of players to their vehicles/ships getting nicked is 'ffs not this shit again' rather than 'wow fun fun fun' ...hence why people actually use locks.

I suppose you could have a hotwiring project or something to keep the danger element there.
Last edited by madfish on Sat May 28, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West is the new North!
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Sat May 28, 2011 3:55 pm

You could always try to "break" into the control mechanism (sorry, I don't know the english word for this, spanish translation would be "make a bridge"), same as you do with locks. If you succeed, there you go, you have stolen vehicle, and you can be chased down.
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
madfish

Postby madfish » Sat May 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeh I think there would need to be some kind of break/hotwire project to stop vehicles becoming redundant when keys are lost.
Last edited by madfish on Sat May 28, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West is the new North!
Comy

Postby Comy » Sat May 28, 2011 4:47 pm

I would love this. I don't see even the tiniest bit of fun or thrill in having to deal with vehicle thieves and it gets pretty annoying having to drag people in and out of vehicles or hoping that you can both be awake at the same time so you can quickly let them on or off.
Dishonor on you, dishonor on your cow...
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Sat May 28, 2011 5:41 pm

it would be alright if there was a hotwiring project.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Wheel locks have already been accepted.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Suggestions”