Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Wolfsong

Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 am

I have a *relatively* simple proposal to make regarding inventory overhaul. Currently, most resources, keys, and tools are invisible when viewing a character. Only certain weapons and shields are visible. Wearable containers are nonexistent. Holdable containers, while they exist, are limited.

Basically, my suggestions run as follows:

1. Make everything in the inventory visible.
    a. This includes resources, keys, tools, containers, etc.
    b. Keys would display as "a key" and not with a specific number or tag. Multiple keys might display as "some keys" or "many keys."
    c. Resources would display with imprecise amounts, aka, "some apples" "many apples" "few apples" etc.
    d. Tools would still display individually, as would weapons, articles of clothing, shields, etc.

2. Add holdable/wearable containers.
    a. These containers could be worn or held in inventory. If held, they would display in the inventory regardless.
    b. These containers could contain anything from keys, resources, tools, weapons, shields, articles of clothing, etc.
      i. Specific containers might include:
        - backpacks
        - rucksacks, bags, sacks, knapsacks
        - purses
        - satchels
        - etc.
      ii. Containers might be made for specific purposes, ie, a keyring might enable all keys to be stored out of sight of inventory,
      but still enable a user to enter/leave a building at will, without having to pick through the keyring and draw out the correct
      key each time.
    c. Container weight would be minimal.
      i. Empty containers would have some weight, but it would be very minimal.
      ii. Containers with items in them would increase in weight based on the weight of the objects inside them.

3. Objects inside containers would be hidden, ie, while the containers would display in the inventory, the items in them would not.

4. Create a simple way to select multiple items from a container and remove to inventory, and vice versa.

5. Vary weight caps based on character strength.

6. Keep notes invisible, but render envelopes visible.

7. Give clothing a slight weight (even something as minor as 10 grams would work.)

Essentially something that looks more like:
You can see him holding:

* a brand new claymore
* a new crowbar
* some apples
* many potatoes
* a new iron shield
* an envelope
* some keys
* a leather backpack
* a chisel
Mykey

Re: Inventory Overhaul: Proposal

Postby Mykey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:05 am

Edited out needless quote -D

I`ll sign everything but point 7.

However I personally feel this suggestion is doomed.

Why? Well because it makes too much logical sense...... :twisted: I mean this has all been suggested before, in part anyways. Good luck.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 am

I'll admit, I snuck #7 in there mostly because of my earlier rant about weight tests/strip searches/clothing.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:51 am

Currently portable containers have very little purpose but if they could be used to conceal things and everything would otherwise be visible, this would make them useful for privacy, and it would be easier to see if thieves are holding anything without having to weight-test them. I think notes should also be visible, but you might be able to hide one or two, or an envelope with only a little contents. It should be possible to see if someone is carrying tons of notes. Also I think things with a very small weight (10 grams or less) should be invisible, but if there were several piles like these, either it could say that the person is carrying small amounts of various resources or randomly display some of them. This way you could hide a single key or a needle but nothing bigger than that.

And I remember at one point there was for a brief moment a bug that made the store multiple things in envelopes thing list resources rather than notes, so it would probably be simple enough to allow storing multiple things at once, it would just have to check that all the weights fit. It would be nice if there was a Javascript thing that counted the weights as you check boxes and alerted you if they were going over-capacity so that you wouldn't have to waste your own time and the server's processing time to handle a request that can't be completed.
Not-so-sad panda
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 am

not a bad idea, the only issue i can see is, it makes it very hard to get away with carrying contraband, you'd have to have a burlap sack to haul around your contraband steel in a steel restricted place.
does make it absolutly impossible to get away with theft unless you have a portable storage. but at the same time absolves someone who enters a building runs out and heads down a road with nothing. really hard to pick a side on that one :lol:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 am

Think of how easy it's to make grass baskets now that grass was added to all grasslands. And I imagine there would be all sorts of new containers, including cheap ones like hide satchels and pouches.
Not-so-sad panda
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Wolfsong wrote:1. Make everything in the inventory visible.
    a. This includes resources, keys, tools, containers, etc.
    b. Keys would display as "a key" and not with a specific number or tag. Multiple keys might display as "some keys" or "many keys."
    c. Resources would display with imprecise amounts, aka, "some apples" "many apples" "few apples" etc.
    d. Tools would still display individually, as would weapons, articles of clothing, shields, etc.

The main problem with this is, even in the real world can you tell everything someone is carrying instantly? Do you know if I have one key? any keys? or many keys? Maybe if they jingle, but sound is RP'd and not a given in Cantr. Would anyone know if I was carrying an envelope in my pocket? I believe that anything small and easily hidden should not show up in the inventory at all. Not knowing exactly what a person is carrying adds a certain element of questions to doing anything. Are they truly unarmed? Were they able to steal or get their hands on a key somewhere? Did they actually take something?

Making everything on a character visible could, in my opinion, make things a lot more painful. It would generate mile-long lists of items for some people as they carry loads of tools, notes, envelopes, weapons, and materials. One person I saw die many years ago must have been carrying a few hundred notes and probably 30 envelopes in addition to their equipment. If everything was visible that would be a very very long list upon examining that person.

7. Give clothing a slight weight (even something as minor as 10 grams would work.)

I would agree that clothing should have a weight. But it should also rot as well for obvious reasons.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 pm

I'd suggest that only the largest (heaviest or longest) items were visible by default and the others would be viewed by clicking something like "inspect inventory" and the person would get an event that so-and-so took a look at what you are carrying. And someone said in another thread that only naked people's inventories would be completely exposed, while stuff could be concealed with clothing. Clothing could be given individual concealing values since they don't have recorded weights or dimensions.
Not-so-sad panda
cooldevo

Postby cooldevo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Now that I would fully agree with your idea, SekoETC. Would help give clothing another step up and give them one more practical use... as opposed to just for RP purposes.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't really like a lot of the suggestions, but a couple I really want to comment on... Bear in mind that some weapons' best attribute is that they are not seen. They're weaker but still have some value because they can be carried in restricted towns. Also, 10g is too much to assign to clothing. 1g would still impact a weight test, but not force people to wear fewer clothing items to conserve inventory space. Clothing already struggles to be a relevant item considering there is no "real" need to wear it; don't add to the hardship by making it weigh more than necessary.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:37 pm

What Seko says makes sense. Also, it makes sense for containers such as backpacks and sacks to have some sort of advantage, perhaps even being able to carry more.
If you could see more of what someone has, then you also wouldn't have to kill them in some situations.
One unfortunate consequence that would come with giving clothing a weight is that you'd have to lose your clothing in order to be weight tested, but yes I think it makes sense for it to have weight. However, if (and only if) every single thing can be seen (when you don't have containers or clothes to hide anything), then weight testing and in some cases killing would no longer be necessary.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 pm

SekoETC wrote:I'd suggest that only the largest (heaviest or longest) items were visible by default and the others would be viewed by clicking something like "inspect inventory" and the person would get an event that so-and-so took a look at what you are carrying. And someone said in another thread that only naked people's inventories would be completely exposed, while stuff could be concealed with clothing. Clothing could be given individual concealing values since they don't have recorded weights or dimensions.

I could get behind this.

So essentially:

1. Large items (over x weight, certain weapons/shields, maybe larger tools) are visible in basic inventory.
2. There is a way to "inspect inventory" to see a more detailed inventory of a character.
3. This "inspect inventory option echoes the person (possibly the room?) that "So and so has peeked at your inventory!"
4. This more detailed inventory lists all items, except those concealed by clothing.
5. Therefore, clothing has concealment value - different articles of clothing can conceal more/less -- based on item weight? Item size?
6. Containers, etc., would still be viable, and would display in basic inventory - unless especially small, like a wallet or pouch.
7. Removal of clothing reveals entire inventory in the detailed inventory option, no change in basic.
8. If not strength, maybe the addition of containers boost carrying capacity, or randomize it slightly for each person so that it isn't a set 15k for everyone.

Or did I miss something?
Last edited by Wolfsong on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Actually... I would like the "inspect inventory" thing while keeping most everything else the same as it is now. Maybe make it a project with a very low time like a quarter hour so it's guaranteed to finish even if someone is tired, but allows someone to move after seeing the event that someone is peeking. If it's a suspected thief, they're likely locked up anyway, but will allow people to walk away from nosy people and maybe smack them for it. lol

Then clothing would not have to have weight added to it, among other things that would have changed with the main suggestion.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Wolfsong wrote:7. Removal of clothing reveals entire inventory in the detailed inventory option, no change in basic.

I think that this should only apply if they use the "inspect inventory" option. With clothing, not everything may be seen even if they inspect you.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 pm

hmmm, i notices some mentioning to make things as they are, only large/heavy objects or really long ones visible... is how it is, chisels are light but long, shileds are large as are most swords, and a number of other objects are visible,. so... other than for visibility of large amounts of resource Y and resource K, i don't see any other changes.

Return to “Suggestions”