Email notification on whisper

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Arenti

Re: Email notification on whisper

Postby Arenti » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Well they don't care about turn reports then. But will it be possible to get that done soon or will it have to wait a long time?
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:43 pm

I think max one email a day per person and only for inactive characters, however you define that, although when the character is one day away from starving to death, an exception could be made. It should be easy enough to make a list of characters who were last checked over (some limit) days ago, then for each get whispering events that they observed during the last 8 hours. But hunger might be more difficult because you'd only want to send the email if the hunger is increasing and not when it's decreasing, and you wouldn't want to send several messages in a row, I'd say only when it goes over 50, 75 and when you're one day away from dying.

And about every other game requires people to confirm their email address before an account is created, so I don't know why Cantr doesn't have that. It was even discussed somewhere a while back but things tend to get buried. The way I'd do it is generate a random string and email it to the address submitted in the form, asking the person to copypaste it to a form, and it would store the codes in a table and compare to that to see if it's correct.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Seko - the project is waiting to be adopted. You can see the development forums, right? If you want to code it, go ahead and code it.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 am

SekoETC wrote:I think max one email a day per person and only for inactive characters, however you define that, although when the character is one day away from starving to death, an exception could be made. It should be easy enough to make a list of characters who were last checked over (some limit) days ago, then for each get whispering events that they observed during the last 8 hours. But hunger might be more difficult because you'd only want to send the email if the hunger is increasing and not when it's decreasing, and you wouldn't want to send several messages in a row, I'd say only when it goes over 50, 75 and when you're one day away from dying.

And about every other game requires people to confirm their email address before an account is created, so I don't know why Cantr doesn't have that. It was even discussed somewhere a while back but things tend to get buried. The way I'd do it is generate a random string and email it to the address submitted in the form, asking the person to copypaste it to a form, and it would store the codes in a table and compare to that to see if it's correct.

For inactive players with alive characters, check whether there has been X days since they last was sent an email, and then check if their chars have events of the types above. If they do send the mail and reset X.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 am

Doug R. wrote:Seko - the project is waiting to be adopted. You can see the development forums, right? If you want to code it, go ahead and code it.

I thought only accepted suggestions should be adopted? :)
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't think I'd like to receive emails like this at all...
But I have always wished whispers appeared in a red font or something, so I could spot them easier on the events page.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 am

So go to your player settings page and uncheck "I'd like to get emails when important events happen to my character", or hit the "Unsubscribe from this kind of email"-link in the first email you get.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 am

DylPickle wrote:I don't think I'd like to receive emails like this at all...
But I have always wished whispers appeared in a red font or something, so I could spot them easier on the events page.

This can probably be done through Greasemonkey scripts.
Though I have no idea how to code or use Greasemonkey scripts.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 am

EchoMan wrote:So go to your player settings page and uncheck "I'd like to get emails when important events happen to my character", or hit the "Unsubscribe from this kind of email"-link in the first email you get.

I know I'm dumb, but.....

Goto 'player info' then 'change'? I can't find it.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 am

Addicted wrote:
EchoMan wrote:So go to your player settings page and uncheck "I'd like to get emails when important events happen to my character", or hit the "Unsubscribe from this kind of email"-link in the first email you get.

I know I'm dumb, but.....

Goto 'player info' then 'change'? I can't find it.

This isn't implemented yet. ;)
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Doh!

Return to “Suggestions”