Clearing the ground with a broom

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Clearing the ground with a broom

Postby SekoETC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 am

After having to move a lot of small piles, I came to think that it would be very handy if it was possible to brush away several small piles in one click by using a broom. If the effectiveness was limited to piles let's say lighter than 100 grams, it couldn't be used for stealing anything significant. You'd click on a button somewhere and it would give you a list of all piles in the location with size smaller than the weight limit, and you could tick boxes next to them and then select a target location, such as a junk building, and it would brush them away in one click and also only one event. You'd have "You see Person brush away some resource_1, resource_2, ... resource_n into Building." instead of "You see Person drag some resource" repeated a million times.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Re: Clearing the ground with a broom

Postby EchoMan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:16 pm

I like this suggestion. Would be useful for notes too.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:21 pm

I like it also. And perhaps a wheelbarrow could be used in a similar way for somewhat larger piles.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 pm

maybe a wheelbarrow and a shovel?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Aren't wheelbarrows already used for large-pile dragging?
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:26 pm

I guess so... I never noticed it in-game, but I found comments about it on the forum...
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 am

Snickiedoo wrote:Aren't wheelbarrows already used for large-pile dragging?

I don't know if it works, but yes, it should. I think it makes sense for it to carry smaller amounts of resources also.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:01 am

I wonder if this function needs to be anchored to a broom. Being able to pull multiple piles at once would increase player convenience and reduce clutter on the events page, so I think it would make sense as a generally available function.

I'm aware that this would make stealing easier as well, but I don't think that's a very strong counter argument. Firstly, picking up several small items at once is already possible by issueing several pick up commands before page refresh and, secondly, if noone is online at the time of the theft (something we shouldn't expect players to be in a slow paced game) it doesn't really matter whether it takes five seconds or five minutes to drag the stuff.
Pretty in pink.
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 am

Good point. I wonder if items could be picked up this way as well? Or at least if you can pick up the whole pile. It could work like doing operations on multiple notes. And on that note, perhaps this function could be added to notes also, like EchoMan suggested.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:40 am

I support the original suggestion, and also support anchoring it to the broom, as it gives a useless item a function. If people want to do it, they'll make a broom.

Note: wheelbarrows do work in the live environment, even though they didn't seem to work in the test env.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 am

I'm all for it, as my character already owns one ;-)
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 am

Well, I don't know if artificially restricting the usability of the interface (and the readability of the events page for others) is a worthy trade-off for making one item not useless. I also don't know if making a broom another quasi-universal item (like shields and crowbars) would be desirable.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Suggestions”