Re-simplified "Defend"

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Drael

Re-simplified "Defend"

Postby Drael » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:04 am

A project, that lasts one day, and cannot be stopped. During such time, one cannot attack at all. If the character has attacked already, in the last day, then it becomes a two day project.

The character can choose someone else to defend during this time, or themselves with the project.

The character or their defendee, gets an additional defense chance against each attack, ie one for their normal sheild etc roll, and another seperate chance for their weapon, the value of which is different for each type of weapon. Generally lighter, nimbler, longer weapons have better defence, and heavier slower, shorter ones less, range/missle weapons have none, no defend ability at all - overall a distrubution of values similar to sheilds themselves. Example weapons for high defense are - Halberd, dirk, gladius, rapier, sabre, pilum, spear. Medium scimitar, broadsword swords, low - battle axe, bastard sword, claymore. This value halves against missle weapons, compensating for their lack of ability to defend, and to be realistic.

Defend also prevents drags, by adding half the characters weight to yourself, or your dragee.

Fairly simple, I think.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Drael on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Re-simplified "Defend"

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Fairly simple, I think.

Indeed not. Giving weapons a defence value would be a big undertaking, I think.

I think a defend project is a reasonable idea, but this doesn't seem very Cantrish. It seems more like a "put your account in vacation mode" option.

During such time, one cannot attacked at all.

I think saying someone can't be attacked at all for a period of time (possibly infinity, if they keep repeating the project) would simply make using violence too hard. Would paranoid leaders end up spending all their time in defend? I do like the idea of protecting someone else (that's something they have in FTO), though it's been brought up before.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Drael

Postby Drael » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:49 am

^ sorry i meant "attack" not attacked". In return for surrendering ability to attack, the person get an addition defense chance for each attack on them based on the weapon (or the defendee gets it), is the idea.

Yeah, the defense values is the most complicated part I guess, perhaps that could be streamlined somehow.

I think that there are plenty of circumstances where id use this in cantr. Because its only for one or two days, it cant be used while your away, you have to be be semi-awake to use this (its not a sleeper option because of this really, and because you forgo attacks, you wouldnt nessasarily want it as a default action). You could use it, for a leader, if your town is attacked, to protect the keys. Or if your plan is escape or fleeing rather than confrontation, you could defend till you get away. Even attacking parties could defend their leaders. Or perhaps your non-violent? Yeah, there would be uses Im sure...

If we nerf the battle exploits, some actual mechanic based strategy for combat (as opposed to strategies based on exploits) could be good.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 am

In that case, I think this idea could work.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “Suggestions”