More expensive stuff

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: More expensive stuff

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:11 pm

If it really should be impossible to get a certain resource, RD can alway implement an alternative that relies on a more common resource. Drill heads made from chromium for example.

Anyway, diamonds are not unreasonably rare and if there's a constant demand for them, I'm convinced people will go out and look for them, making them even less rare. Currently diamonds are practically worthless. If you spend a week in the mountains gathering them there's a good chance you are wasting your time. "Diamonds? No, we already got some." The demand determines the supply.

And, by the way, why should it be that every town has to be able to have a drill?
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Piscator wrote:And, by the way, why should it be that every town has to be able to have a drill?

In areas where there are diamonds in the mountains, that might be true. There are places where (as I have said a few times now :) ) they don't even know where to get them. It seems to me you have all your chars on Cantr and Pok islands? Anyway, the islands I speak of are on the other side of the world from Cantr and Pok, so I highly doubt someone will take his worthless diamonds and sail for ten to fifteen years to trade them.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 pm

If drill bits wore out, that would actually give town a reason not to let everyone and their cousin to use their drills for free. It's kinda like adding fuel to cars, any runny-nosed peasant can accidentally inherit a car when someone croaks in their location, but to keep it fueled requires some work. Likewise people are going to inherit towns with all the equipment built but if they don't know how to get new parts for them when old ones are worn out, they'll go back to stone age and that's the way how things ought to be. When things don't wear out or are infinitely repairable without having to add resources, things stagnate.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 pm

EchoMan wrote:
Piscator wrote:And, by the way, why should it be that every town has to be able to have a drill?

In areas where there are diamonds in the mountains, that might be true. There are places where (as I have said a few times now :) ) they don't even know where to get them. It seems to me you have all your chars on Cantr and Pok islands? Anyway, the islands I speak of are on the other side of the world from Cantr and Pok, so I highly doubt someone will take his worthless diamonds and sail for ten to fifteen years to trade them.

What I meant is that it wouldn't kill a town if they weren't able to build a drill. A pickaxe is much slower, but after processing your raw resources, it doesn't matter that much.

Anyway, at the moment I only have one char on Pok or Cantr (not sure which one it is). Three live on or around Junsö (I assume you have chars in that general region) and they could tell you exactly where to find diamonds. :)
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Suggestions”