Talking to doors

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Talking to doors

Postby Piscator » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 pm

It might be a nice addition to be able to talk to (or rather through) doors, so that you are heard on the other side. This would give prisoners an alternative to pushing notes under the door and could also be used to ask whether a person is decent or similar things.
Pretty in pink.
Rusalka

Re: Talking to doors

Postby Rusalka » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 pm

I assume that others outside will get this kind of message:

Code: Select all

Man in his twenties says something through door of xxx

Inside they get:

You hear a voice from outside saying: xxx

or

You hear a voice of man in his twenities from outside saying: xxx
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Pretty much what I thought of. :wink:

I don't know which of the both last option would be better, but we could perhaps let it depend on whether the door is locked or not.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Earlier I suggested shouting through doors. I still think it would be good if it was possible to talk or shout through doors, at least if they're open or if you have the key, because for example if there was an attack and you had to alert everybody, it would take less time to shout through the door rather than entering each building to check if someone is inside and talk to them. But it should either give you tiredness or make you lose your voice through some other means. I think the tiredness method would be easier to implement because it wouldn't require any new things in the database. If your tiredness was 100% (or maybe a lower limit would be in order, like 80% or 90%) you would be too tired to shout. This would prevent prisoners from being a complete nuisance. I think my original suggestion also included only repeating text that's written in all caps, but if the door was open, it would make sense if normal speech also carried through. Normal speech wouldn't give tiredness. Maybe random bits of normal speech could also carry through a locked door, but not all of it, it should be muffled.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 am

This sounds all very complicated. I was simply thinking about adding the little speech bubble icon to doors and generating the messages Rusalka just mentioned. Pretty much like knocking, but with text. And I doubt we would need tiredness or something like that. Talk spamming would not be different from knock spamming and could be handled by PD if it got excessive.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:28 am

But I'm concerned that if talking through locked doors was unlimited and unmuffled, people would be more likely to put prisoners behind two doors to make sure to eliminate communications that would show up in people's event logs. After all, notes can be picked up if you're fast enough. I think having the sound muffled would make things more interesting because then you couldn't know for sure that you had been heard. Only yelling would make you get heard for sure and that would cost something.
Not-so-sad panda
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 am

How about a window? People can talk through windows but not doors.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 am

SekoETC wrote:But I'm concerned that if talking through locked doors was unlimited and unmuffled, people would be more likely to put prisoners behind two doors to make sure to eliminate communications that would show up in people's event logs

They will put them in cages inside prison. That is something I always wanted - have separate cell for every prisoner.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Ok, Which one is better?

option 1:

You hear a voice from outside saying: xxx

option 2:

You hear a voice of man in his twenities from outside saying: xxx

1. This way we can have some funny situations with people saying things like "Gregor shit his pants!" and then others enter the building and ask "Who said that??" or some anonymous lovers saying "I love you Amanda" :D And I'm not entirely convinced if this is a good option but it provides some nice RP features.

2. This eliminates anonymous spamers, but I'm not sure if it's enough to recognize somebody by his voice. I could name him and then would reconize him, even if he doesn't say anything.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:25 pm

We can't identify voices over radios, so we shouldn't be able to ID them through doors.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Suggestions”