Fixed item life

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

What do you think of the "fixed life" proposal?

I like it
54%
I don't like it (criticism below)
15%
I like it, but it needs work (suggestion below)
29%
I don't understand it (question below)
2%

Total votes: 41
CrashBlizz

Re: Fixed item life

Postby CrashBlizz » Mon May 24, 2010 8:37 am

I'm for this as long as the the amount differnt tools and things become useless is thought about carefully and in relation to all other items avaliable. Lets not have crossbows falling apart after two or three shots and 100 year old bone clubs.
Miri

Postby Miri » Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 am

I'm all for this idea, but it will need much thinking and balancing prior to the implementation, or it will do much more harm than good.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:12 pm

I totally agree with making use-based deterioration more significant. In RL some artifacts can survive tousends of years, when untouched. This should also be possible in game, especialy when (my dreams!) we'll have unique items in Cantr.

Option 1:

Use-based deterioration is faster (especialy for primitive items) and can't be stopped. Item doesn't rot itself. No programming needed

Option 2:
Use-based deterioration is faster (especialy for primitive items) and can be stopped, but fixing take a lot of time so not many people care to do it. Item rots just like now. No programming needed

Option 3:

Use-based deterioration can be stopped, but only with resources, and possibly other tools for some items. It can be done without programming as well. Only disadventage is that it won't matter if item is new, used, or old:

Repairing bone knife:
Resources: Small bones xxx grams
Items: bone knife
tools needed:

If there will be a reapiring project for every item, then we could diecide which items can't be fixed. Mentioned bone knife is actually a piece of bone so I wouldn't make possibility to fix it. On the other hand I would add a new tool named "knife sharpener" which would be necessary to repair all metal knifes, axes, swords etc.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I haven't thought of option three yet, but as you said, the decay status of the item wouldn't matter and it would also mean a lot of work for RD. I think we'd really better wait for ProgD to implement a general repair mechanic.
Pretty in pink.
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Well there are some games which have ideas amounting to each item having some HP, and with a repair this max HP reduces... But with use the actual amount of HP reduces. So it comes to a point where you could repair something, but it would not be brand new, it'd be used or whatever...

Think about it.. if you have a knackered old car, and fix it up, it'll probably still be pretty rickety, it'll never be brand new unless you replace most of it. I know that's a RL concept but it's one that applies to this situation because item use and repair is something that should parallel RL to encourage economy.
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “Suggestions”