signal flags

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:02 pm

First of all, of course a flare would be easier to make than a radio.

Secondly, a man waving a signal flag can't be seen even close to as far as a signal flare can. Flares can be seen by other towns too. Someone waving a signal flag cannot.

When it comes down to it though, I would be happy with either since they could both be used for the same purpose, it is just that a signal flare seems the more logical choice for what I was looking at using it for.
Every action has a consequence.
Yömyssy

Postby Yömyssy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:24 pm

radios need someone monitoring them.. flares/flags/signal fires could be seen by anyone outside
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Yömyssy wrote:radios need someone monitoring them.. flares/flags/signal fires could be seen by anyone outside

Yeah exactly.
haggismcbean

Postby haggismcbean » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:35 pm

Elros wrote:First of all, of course a flare would be easier to make than a radio.

Why is it obvious? With no card or paper in Cantr, you'd need some rare resource to act as casing, or perhaps some cloth? I dunno, i know nothing about early fireworks or anything like that. The explosive inside could maybe be magnesium (burns with a very bright white light) but that's not generally found near wood and anything else is quite rare as far as i know. You'd also need a fuse, which i guess would be string.

But if flares are easy to make nobody would put any trust in them anyway because anyone could've made their own and set it off. A pirate, or group of armed men, could release one to lure in some trusting people that they then murder and pillage.

I suppose there would still be uses, but you'd have to finely balance how hard it is to make one, especially assuming that they're one use objects. Maybe if you needed special machinery to make them, but then the individual flare was quite cheap, that would act as a solution to most of the problems i've pointed out.
JK-Royale

Postby JK-Royale » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:10 pm

well, maybe you can't really trust this kind of signal.
But you can arange a codeword, so you can immediately see if the one making a flare, is a friend of enemy...
just an idea.
-----------
Official Cantr Translator
-----------
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:50 pm

It would mainly be used by people who had previously set up a flare system, thus they would fir the colors in a sequence that would validate the indentity of the person shooting them off.

Secondly, I am in a forest right now that has Wood, Magnesium, and Cobalt.
haggismcbean

Postby haggismcbean » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:12 pm

:roll:
Elros wrote:I am in a forest right now that has Wood, Magnesium, and Cobalt.

I meant in Cantr, not in real life...

but yes. You win. Flares rule. Impliment, please.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:21 am

*laughs* Sorry about that, it was Wood, Bauxite, and Cobalt in the forest my charrie is in. Not Magnesium.
randognsac

Re: signal flags

Postby randognsac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Signal flags, lights, flares. Mainly for communicating ship to ship. SOS, or stop. People on shore if close enough can see flares or lights. This should be easy you would think. I know we can have radios, but what if you can't afford one yet? This would be a more covert way of communicating too.

Return to “Suggestions”