RP Items for Handicapped Characters

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

RP Items for Handicapped Characters

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:21 am

I once wanted a blind person's cane added to bracelets, it couldn't be white because we don't have dyes, but anyway it would've included a leather loop around the wrist to prevent it from getting lost - but in the end it lead into the addition of the walking stick, that does not include leather.

It's often hard to rp disabled characters because you constantly need to make a show of it, otherwise people don't realise the character might have special needs. This leads to others thinking those characters are annoying and unrealistic. Often you wanted to express it without doing anything too blatant, since you want the character to be a person despite of the disability, not just a stereotype.

So I wish we had things like a blindfold (clothing category masks), wheelchairs (akin to the wooden cart; a couple of designs at least, one of wood and maybe some reed, one of metals and rubber), that cane I proposed and maybe some other designs for the elderly / people with bad legs. And maybe a crutch.

People might say that this is gonna encourage people to play something they later get bored with and there will be a bunch of miraculous healings. Well, you can't avoid them in any case. And even in real life we have had beggars with fake injuries. (Speaking of which, a bit off-topic but how about faking to sneeze?)

Most people in Cantr are so work-oriented that they forget about the social side of life. How people take care of the disabled is an important aspect of life. And that thing is being ignored because showing that your character is disabled takes constant effort, something that's not required in real life.
Not-so-sad panda
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:25 am

If it's a completely superficial item that can already be classified into one of the categories, then I'd say go for it? Can't you already add stuff like this as the RD Tailor?

Except wheelchair. That would have to be a vehicle, and is not just a superficial thing that should be added quickly.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:40 am

I would technically have the power to add any types of clothing (or items parallel to clothing) but I need to ask the opinion of the public or other tailors, and Mael has been inactive for a long time. Who knows if there were people screaming "no we can't have a blindfold because people wearing it would still get 'You see' in their events!" There could be people screaming they're going to quit because someone dares to suggest it's even allowed to rp disabilities.

Edit: I have not even been allowed to add different designs of sweaters because that would clutter up the menu. So items for a minority might be even more controversial.
Not-so-sad panda
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:43 am

Why not. We already have eye patches, and, as you say, walking sticks,.
Whenn animals get domesticated you could even have guide racoons.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:22 pm

In all my years (lol, 2) of playing I'm yet to see one person RP disabled, besides Legless Harry and Armless Julie.. both of which I played/spawned on a holiday that I was bored during which.

It's a lot of effort when the effort could be dedicated elsewhere to better suggestions.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:24 pm

N-Aldwitch wrote:In all my years (lol, 2) of playing I'm yet to see one person RP disabled, besides Legless Harry and Armless Julie.. both of which I played/spawned on a holiday that I was bored during which.

It's a lot of effort when the effort could be dedicated elsewhere to better suggestions.

... actually, it's not much effort at all (add a few entries to the database), and the person who would be doing the work is the one who made the suggestion.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Oh ok. Well in that case..

If it's only minor changes, I don't see any other problems.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:23 pm

I like it, but it still requires good rp. I see no problems aside from that though. Also, fake disabilities would be pretty sweet, and this makes it that much easier to do it, without rping it in a way that seems dishonest later when you shrug the disguise.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 am

I'm for it. I currently have a blind charrie using a walking stick like a cane, and it just doesn't have quite the same instant connotations.
Scratch and sniff text
Arlequin

Postby Arlequin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 am

A real option to allow the character to receive permanent harm might be interesting in the long term. Once character disallowments were implemented they could be reused for several other purposes: night cycles, fog, diseases, poisonous bites, drunkness, shackles and ties, shield wielding (that's an unusable hand), improvements in movement with shoes, coldness, broken bones, etc. etc. :lol:
♫ bling! ♫
g1asswa1ker

Re: RP Items for Handicapped Characters

Postby g1asswa1ker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Hmmm wheelchairs
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Nice thread necromancy. The current problem with a wheelchair would be that if it was a vehicle, it couldn't enter buildings, although I don't know why the coding prevents that. It's most likely a weight issue. It would be nice if it was possible to push a wheelchair from the outside, and this would give tiredness but it would be easier than dragging, at least if the person in the chair gave consent to the person pushing it.

It shouldn't take much to add canes, crutches and a blind's cane because they would only have an rp'ed effect, and people could now add to their description how they want to use it.
Not-so-sad panda
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 pm

i have a char that recieved a severe injury before her first spawnday and the injury has "acted up" over the years. she finally worked that limb so badly that the damage became irreparable and the limb is now useless. i was wondering how other chars would treat it, but she has a great partner, who uses a wheelbarrow to get her around, if need be. hows that for a wheelchair? ;)
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:54 pm

primitive wheelchair: wood, hide/leather
(Not reed, because reed is more of a grasslike plant and would probably not reliably hold up a person's weight. Sure, if you dried it first you could build a really primitive-type shelter. What I feel you people visualize when you think of reed (and this includes reeds on musical instruments such as the clarinet and oboe) is actually bamboo or cane. If bamboo were added to the game (give people a reason to visit the swamps again!), I'd support the use of it in a wheelchair.)

wheelchair: steel, rubber, leather

Effects:
· Increases how much you can carry in raw resources (you can set more on your lap)
· Slows down travel times
· Roleplay!!!
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Thus making cantr a disabled friendly game!

Return to “Suggestions”