Tents

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Ecilope

Tents

Postby Ecilope » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:07 am

I was thinking it would be cool to have a mobile, quick way to provide semi-privacy and shelter.
I have a character that's part of a small nomadic society, and its awkward to stop in the middle of the woods and have to watch the couples "do their thing".
The society is nomadic, and very successfully, so it would be nice to have some way to give people a little privacy, without having to build a permanent structure. Maybe using wood and hide?

-Becky
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:46 pm

It has been mentioned a long time ago, but maybe now with clothes implemented and a use for textiles it will be possible in the near future?

And instead of a crowbar needed to break into a building a knife or any other cutting tool suffices for breaking into a tent?
Life is fun. Play naked with Psycho-Pixie.

"Our enemies are resourceful and innovative".
"and so are we..."
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and people"
"and neither do we"
~G.W Bush
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:35 pm

That would be nice...a temporary home.
Meh

Postby Meh » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:16 am

Tents would be good have to have before wheather effects.
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:11 am

Orion, Hunter and guide wrote:And instead of a crowbar needed to break into a building a knife or any other cutting tool suffices for breaking into a tent?

ummmmmm it'd look pretty weird to see a tet with a great huge iron lock hanging off the flap :roll:
creepyguyinblack

Postby creepyguyinblack » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:04 am

Yes, tents should be rooms without locks, and a fairly limited capacity. There'd have to be some way to "connect" the tent with the owner though, for the purposes of packing and unpacking it.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:22 am

The tents would be hard to program if they were like that. Something where you pick them up or drop them, but when they are dropped, a building is added to the buildings list.... the tent. I am not sure exactly on how the game schematics work, but that would be either really hard or really easy to program.
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:52 pm

creepyguyinblack wrote:Yes, tents should be rooms without locks, and a fairly limited capacity. There'd have to be some way to "connect" the tent with the owner though, for the purposes of packing and unpacking it.

No ownership...you couls start a one hour tent packing and unpacking project, the tent cannot be packed up if anything's inside, and if anyone tries to pack up YOUR tent, then you yell "HEY! That guy's stealing my tent!" and killkillkill!
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:54 am

Yeah the part about having a tent stolen from you really sucks. One of my characters was displaced from their home when they didn't have a lock to it.... I guess if it was a Project sort of thing, then it would work for Security purposes, as long as you were inside, and it could not be moved like that. But farming type projects can be done with in...and probably no projects should be allowed to be started with in. So mind as well use a car, eh?
Lord_Igor

Postby Lord_Igor » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:18 pm

I was going to make a thread about this, but then I thought "Someone has probably already suggested this so I'll try doing a search." and found this thread. How I was going to suggest this has also already been written.
Mainly:

"No ownership...you couls start a one hour tent packing and unpacking project, the tent cannot be packed up if anything's inside, and if anyone tries to pack up YOUR tent, then you yell "HEY! That guy's stealing my tent!" and killkillkill"

"Maybe using wood and hide?"

"That would be nice...a temporary home."

"Yes, tents should be rooms without locks, and a fairly limited capacity."
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Fri May 13, 2005 4:55 am

BUMP.

Tent, Tipi, Wikiup, Revolutionary War style General's quarters, something! No Lock, just privacy.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
AoM

Postby AoM » Fri May 13, 2005 5:10 am

Good find. I agree, I think a tent would be a useful addition to the game.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Fri May 13, 2005 5:48 am

(off topic) I've been hoping to see some more Native American-esque items in the game...Tipi, Gorgets(british officer neck protect that became a status symbol for warriors, made of bronze or german silver) Bronze/silver armbands, broaches, moccasins, woven sashes. I can throw some pretty great photos up if anyone wants to see the good stuff.

http://www.crazycrow.com/crafts/porky_roach.php
^^This is why Cantr needs Porcupines! (I own one of these, they are really quite impressive. It is Porcupine guard hair and deer tail hair woven together to a silver spreader. I am to some degree an expert on Native Culture [mostly clothing] and I think it would be FANTASTIC to bring to the game. If I could even become a tailor for Cantr I would be glad to make sure it is all described well and resource proportional)

Also, I know, this isn't about human culture, so cantr has no indians unless someone makes them. But a RPed indian would like something besides wool pants and a hemp tunic.

But yes, tents.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
west

Postby west » Fri May 13, 2005 7:45 am

Ah, the roach. Beloved of my people, the Osage (French transliteration of 'Wazhazhe'--they usually called themselves the NiuKonska)
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Fri May 13, 2005 8:06 am

There, thats 2 votes for a nice 22 inch porky. :D Osage West? Very nice.

Return to “Suggestions”