Make the game interesting - Stop repairing!

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:23 am

I have learned to deal with the system we have in place. All of my ideas to fix it are met with disdain so ner ner ner, I'm taking my ball and going home. I have decided that if I want to roleplay a soldier, there is always D&D.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Mykey

:

Postby Mykey » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:40 am

I am sorry, that has interfered... This situation is familiar To me. I invite to discussion. Write here or in PM.
Last edited by Mykey on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mykey

:

Postby Mykey » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:47 am

Completely I share your opinion. I think, what is it good idea.
Last edited by Mykey on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Songthrush

Postby Songthrush » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:07 am

I am here to voice the now widespread solidarity and agreement with the original poster's idea, observable within Cantr itself. Nothing is more outrageously boring and mind-numbing than a room-full of 1-hour repair projects.

Abolish item rot now!

(The most laughable justification ever heard for this nonsense has got to be: "It Creates More Jobs". This means: it creates meaningless time-sinks which steal the lives of characters. Which are a positive thing, because they are called jobs? The "creation of jobs", or time sinks, in Cantr, and incidentally, in the real world too, can only be considered a positive thing by the very naive.)
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:31 am

Here is a thought.. if the repairing feature is only there to remove junk that isn't used anymore. Why not make it so you only have to spend and hour repairing it... thus ensuring it is a continued iexistance... Keep the existing terms of age as a warning that you may lose this item if you don't repair it but make the time of repair far quicker.

to further note age should be longer then account idle out
Wilmer Bordonado

Postby Wilmer Bordonado » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:56 am

Rusalka wrote:The biggest problem in Cantr is that we have 21-century thinking people in medieval reality. Characters usually profess environmentalistic and pacific outlooks. We, 21-century people are used to such views, but why? Because our governments are spending bilions of dollars every year to support huge armies which never fight. They exist to keep peace in the world. Funny isn't it? :) We don't have armies in Cantr. I've seen lots of opportunities to take over a town, or a store, filled with goods. I bet I'm not the only one. Why? Why we don't fight in Cantr? I'm sure it is not a repair problem. Problem is somewhere inside our heads.

The deepest thought I have ever read in the forums! I congratulate you because of your idea, sincerely.
"Why thinking of armies and war when there's a lot to be built and a lot to be repaired?"

Wilmer B.
SI A LA VIDA, NO A LAS PAPELERAS!
http://www.noalapapelera.com.ar
YES TO LIFE, NO TO PULP MILLS!
http://chrislang.blogspot.com/2006_08_31_chrislang_archive.html
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:04 am

I'm think why am I reposting this..... cause you don't want it to get lost in the pile because you really think it's a good thought and if it gets lost in the pile then it will never ever be seen by those that need to see it and even get concider as a possible fix to the problem...

Here is a thought.. if the repairing feature is only there to remove junk that isn't used anymore. Why not make it so you only have to spend and hour repairing it... thus ensuring it is a continued iexistance... Keep the existing terms of age as a warning that you may lose this item if you don't repair it but make the time of repair far quicker.

to further note age should be longer then account idle out
Songthrush

Postby Songthrush » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:20 am

Don't settle for kludgy compromises.

Let us lobby and encourage the complete abolishment of item decay!

There is no real item over-proliferation problem. It is only imagined by the same theorists who think "creating jobs" by adding meaningless time-sinks to the game is a good idea. If a crisis of item-oversaturation ever appears, trashcan machines can be created for every town to manually dispose of garbage in exchange for small amounts of raw goods (recycling) to be had by the player out of trashing an item.
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:52 am

Songthrush wrote:Don't settle for kludgy compromises.

Let us lobby and encourage the complete abolishment of item decay!

There is no real item over-proliferation problem. It is only imagined by the same theorists who think "creating jobs" by adding meaningless time-sinks to the game is a good idea. If a crisis of item-oversaturation ever appears, trashcan machines can be created for every town to manually dispose of garbage in exchange for small amounts of raw goods (recycling) to be had by the player out of trashing an item.

Now I like your idea as well although I still oppose the abolishment of repairing. Both mine and your suggest should be implemtented... waste is something that happens recycling is an effort by people to keep from just wasting things they and others don't need.
Solutions Maximus

Postby Solutions Maximus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:29 am

The Sociologist wrote:
Solutions Maximus wrote:I'm comparing it to real life. People are murdered every single day based upon race or some other bias. There is far less bias in Cantr. I agree, there was more violence when the system was different. It was more of a war game then. It drew different people to the game.

It is more of a social game now.

Perhaps I'm not explaining my reasoning correctly.

No, I'm afraid you are not. :wink: Most online games are far more violent. Cantr was never that violent, but in the old days there was some degree of conflict and attacking a town was possible. Since the changes, that is no longer the case, or at least not without a huge differential in numbers and technology.

Oh, you're making this difficult Soc. :) I wasn't comparing it to the typical hack-and-slash... but it seems obvious that I cannot express in words what I am trying to get across. If you just look at the world... it is apparent that there is more bias than the gaming world of Cantr.

Songthrush: This is a society-simulation game. Jobs are part of society... and repairing is a part of the job market. I don't like how quickly items rot, and I don't like how long it takes to repair items... but I do think there should be the need to repair. I give this job to newspawns that wish to work for me. Seasoned characters get more important work.
"Turn on, tune in, and drop out."
Mykey

:

Postby Mykey » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:35 am

In no event
Last edited by Mykey on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Songthrush

Postby Songthrush » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:40 am

Jobs are no natural part of human society, but an aberrant, cancerous imposition upon it made by "capital".

I know all about newspawns repairing in rooms full of tools. What people have pointed out is that this is an uttery meaningless waste of everyone's time.

Let us find another, better way to have our own version of that "cancerous imposition". For example, let us allow actual capital to manifest itself in currency. See the related proposition people have prepared for "Vending Machines"... it's quite the capitalist's dream.
Solutions Maximus

Postby Solutions Maximus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:41 am

I agree with a recycling or trash machine. But, unless they are extremely cheap and easy to make, not every town will make one. I'm currently playing in a town that has about 50 bone knives on the ground. It's extremely annoying. Charries are made, they make the knives, they drop them, they end up leaving or dying. Makes a huge mess. Luckily, I know those knives will eventually rot and therefore be out of my way.
Mykey

:

Postby Mykey » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:43 am

There is a site, with an information large quantity on a theme interesting you.
Last edited by Mykey on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solutions Maximus

Postby Solutions Maximus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:50 am

cheers

Return to “Suggestions”