Gagged and Bound

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Yaddy1

Re: Gagged and Bound

Postby Yaddy1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:31 am

phoenixannwn wrote:I'm definitely all for some (any!) type of restraints in the game mechanic. Do you know how hard it is to torture someone if they have to agree to be restrained? :roll: Everyone's character's superman (at least, everyone who any of my characters have tortured seems to be), and it either forces you to lose or do bad RP, which is so no fun.
Not to mention, we need more non-lethal options. Death or time-out is not the answer to everything. And just hitting someone and not killing them is pointless. :roll:
We need something the character's don't have a choice to listen to.
For the restraints (stocks, handcuffs, tied wrists, w/e) instead of not letting them **, you could just not let them use anything in their inventory and not let them use anything off the ground. Or hit anyone. Yes, there's still room for naughty RPing, but it also gives you a bit more leeway and would probably make it easier to set up.
Oh, and what are those pillar things they used to whip people on? It was like a tall pole, and the person's hands were tied to the top with a length of leather, and they would be whipped like 40 times or whatever. Got it! (Courtesy of google/wikipedia). A pillory! We should have one of those too. :twisted:

This is exactly my opinion on this. Non-lethal/just locking in a room options to deal with criminals is something this game needs. I don't think RP works if you're doing something the other character really doesn't want you to do. If someone's really attached to their character than they might respond to *throws to the ground and begins tying wrists* with *struggles out of grasp and runs to the door* even if it isn't plausible.
lulkoek

Postby lulkoek » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 am

I am so opposed to this as a game mechanic. It is bound to be abused by the munchkins.

You know what this place really needs? A 'no powerplay/god-modding' rule.
If roleplay is the main goal of the game, then it shouldn't be an issue to impose this (more work for moderators though), but from the comments I heard in the past, Cantr is an activity system that revolves around crafting, killing characters for no reason, stealing without consequences unless you're damn unlucky and a side option to rp if you really really feel like you want to, but let us not encourage that too much.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 am

The main goal of the game is Society Simulation, not Roleplaying.
lulkoek

Postby lulkoek » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 am

You can't simulate society without having people play a role in it.

Point remains the same anyway, it's too easy to do the anarchist 'I don't care about anyone' thing... Only if you happen to be in a densely populated area with people that do care, that option isn't the best one.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm

I'd still rather have this, because it would be better than killing someone or locking them in an isolated room.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 pm

EchoMan wrote:The main goal of the game is Society Simulation, not Roleplaying.

In society people do things and don't lay around as vegetables. Without the roleplay there is no society. Just robots assembling things.

However, I think being bound wouldn't be horrible thing to add. The character couldn't move, attack, or work on projects. I'd also remove the ability to write notes and envelopes. I'd like to see a way to break out of being bound though I'm not sure how that would work. Maybe while being bound people can inspect what items you have and take them if they so desire. It'd be a good way to prove theft.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Maybe trying to break out tires you? And the weaker you are the more tired you get easier?
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:22 pm

phoenixannwn wrote:Maybe trying to break out tires you? And the weaker you are the more tired you get easier?

I would think it depends with what you are bound too. Rope or sinew would probably be easier than metal shackles.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Leather should be the hardest thing you could break out of without tools. Metal shackles would require a tool, maybe a file.
And the less repaired an item is (the more it's rotted) the easier it is to break out of.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 pm

phoenixannwn wrote:Leather should be the hardest thing you could break out of without tools. Metal shackles would require a tool, maybe a file.
And the less repaired an item is (the more it's rotted) the easier it is to break out of.

If such is the case, then they should be unrepairable.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Only if they're broken. Like a lock. Then you have to build a new one. It's like a lock...for the wall.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 am

Armulus Satchula wrote: Maybe while being bound people can inspect what items you have and take them if they so desire. It'd be a good way to prove theft.

Maybe bound people turn into 15 kilo capacity containers. You could take things out and put them in.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 am

Doug R. wrote:You could take things out and put them in.

Also, good idea. Then we wouldn't have to kill newspawn thieves.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Doug R. wrote:Maybe bound people turn into 15 kilo capacity containers. You could take things out and put them in.

I like this idea, but we'd have to make it very hard to bind people then. Whatever we decide to do for combat I guess.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:39 pm

I was just thinking today--one of my chars was making a stone table, and the pic for when you make it, it looks like it would be perfect for restraining someone.
So you have two types of bindings: one, that you can build on a wall, that only restrains your hands, and another, much more difficult to make one (you can use the stone table as a base) that uses four-point metal restraints. That one, you can't break out of.
You can only make them in rooms, cabins, or holds.
The other one you can build anywhere, and use leather, cotton, or hemp and can break out of. Yes? No? Maybe?
70% cute, 30% WTF

Return to “Suggestions”