Gagged and Bound

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:28 pm

YES! This is a game, and since this is a game, we can mould or shape it however we like.

And, at least me, I'd do like to let that a bunch of angry characters inmovilize another one. It would be more than realistic:

- it would be usuful in many cases to many players

- it would bring more diversity for the combat system (alot of people dislikes the drag-system, it is incredible boring, and the only way up to date)

- it would encourage cooperation. And since this is a society-simulator game (among others), and society and cooperation works hand in hand, it would be good for all this game.

People often forget that realism IS NOT BAD just because.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Racetyme wrote:People forget that too much of the time. We do what makes the game fun people, not what makes it closer to real life. I wouldn't play if it were the same as real life, because in real life I spend time pretending I had a different life.

I don't know if I have understood you. But let me make a question. In real life, can YOU be a pirate (with a ship) or a town leader?, or can YOU kill someone without punishment (*)?.

(*) Please, nobody tell me that I would like to kill someone in real life. I am not a psycho. But in a game, it is different, nobody gets really harmed.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Exactly, thats what I'm saying. I play the game because I get to do things I don't get to do in real life. If the game gets too close to real life, I won't like the game anymore. Do you follow?
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:03 pm

So.... if four character can inmovilize another one, the game is too close to reality, and you don't like it?

:?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:25 pm

I agree a situation like that shouldn't exist. One solution, remove instant healing from healing foods. It's just insane that a person can eat several kilos of onions a day, they would be farting a lot after that. Healing foods (or a diverse diet in general) could speed up recovery, but insta-healing is like magic. And Cantr isn't supposed to have magic. It just happens to be the easiest way to program it, but it isn't natural. And shit doesn't it just totally spoil rp when you're like ooh, I'm bleeding to death, goodbye cruel world - and then someone shoves 7 kilos of onions at you. Actually that reminds me of Judge getting his foot bitten off by a lion and he came crawling in and Caine coldly said, don't worry, it'll grow back. And I assume it did. Cantrians are supposed to be human but this ability to recover from any wound is more like a lizard growing back it's tail. I sometimes rp scars for my characters but you can't do that all the time.
Not-so-sad panda
Pie

Postby Pie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Ech.

I must point out that I have TIME AND TIME AGAIN (about twice now) suggested something that would revolutionise combat (the "you must be below<insert> tirednes to exit a location and go into another room) And we don't need this for combat.

And I've alredy suggested the "not healing all at once" thing.

BUT NOBODY LISTENS TO ME!!! GRRR!!!

We do need this, becaus It would add a little ecentricity to the game.

I suggest (I havent been reading this at all... so this may be allredy said) that we have someone make ropes, and then make those ropes into an "Item", and you can choos to drag a person into you're "Item" (this is relativily easy, just a copy and past thing, taking different atributes into other objects, but then again, I don't know notin.)
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:34 pm

I do agree with Pie and Seko. But (maybe) we shall discuss the issue about instant healing it in another thread :)

For example: http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... nt+healing
Doug R.

Restraints

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:03 am

Most of this thread is spam, so let me start it over. There are several things I'd like to see in the game. They'd require a bit of programming, but hopefully nothing overwhelming.

Stocks - Basically, the land-locked boat. However, since we can't land-lock boats anymore, it would need to be a new vehicle type (can't be a land vehicle, because then you could drive them out of town).

Character limit - 2
Weight limit - 150,000

========================

New class of objects - conditional objects

Here's my proposal for implementing these, if there's an easier way, chime in!

Conditional objects would have or prevent an effect if they're in a character's inventory.
They would be added to the target's inventory after the completion of a project.
Only the person holding the key to the object can work on the project.
All are visible in inventory

Handcuffs - character can't attack
leg irons - character moves at 1/10th the speed
gag - character can't speak (emotes work, like babies in FTO)
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
CrashBlizz

Re: Gagged and Bound

Postby CrashBlizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:50 am

I like stocks but I think they be 15,000g capacity. Big enough to just hold one person - Just throw someone in them.

I wrote a paragraph about why I disliked the other three, having to do with making it too easy to capture people, but after I finished it I changed my mind. Being able to disable characters will stop the current need to kill everyone. I support this. They will lead to improved RP.
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:27 am

I do like the idea, if it can be done to have hte person unable to 'drop' an object like handcuffs or leg irons. You'd possibly have to drag them 'into' it? hm....
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:28 am

I have not much of an opinion about conditional objects yet, but making a stock is less problematic than you think. Since we are able to define on which roads a vehicle can travel, it's very easy to create a "vehicle" that can't move. It might not be very elegant as you'd still have the travel interface, but since there would be no suitable roads to leave on, the vehicle would be effectively immobile.

I'm not keen on introducing such an object while we still haven't solved the problems of dead bodies blocking small rooms, but I guess it would work sufficiently with the 2 person/15000g limit.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 pm

CrashBlizz wrote:I like stocks but I think they be 15,000g capacity. Big enough to just hold one person - Just throw someone in them.

If another character can't enter, you'd never be able to drag anyone out.

CrashBlizz wrote:I wrote a paragraph about why I disliked the other three, having to do with making it too easy to capture people, but after I finished it I changed my mind. Being able to disable characters will stop the current need to kill everyone. I support this. They will lead to improved RP.

If it was a project, you'd need to detain someone in a room before you could guarantee that they'd stand still for the project to complete, so it doesn't make it too easy. (for those that object based on this premise).

Piscator wrote:...making a stock is less problematic than you think. Since we are able to define on which roads a vehicle can travel, it's very easy to create a "vehicle" that can't move. It might not be very elegant as you'd still have the travel interface, but since there would be no suitable roads to leave on, the vehicle would be effectively immobile.

Good, let's do it then.

Piscator wrote:I'm not keen on introducing such an object while we still haven't solved the problems of dead bodies blocking small rooms, but I guess it would work sufficiently with the 2 person/15000g limit.

150000g. And if we waited to implement things before other problems were solved (that may never be solved), we'd still be waiting for a lot of good features. "Adjusting your grip" has been a part of Cantr's culture now for years and years, so it's not problematic at all.

If we all agree, we can move stocks to accepted and leave the rest of the suggestion here.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Dragging from outside would solve a lot of problems, or did someone already mention that? I suppose discussing things that have been suggested a long time ago doesn't make much of a difference, what it would take is some programmer getting bored and deciding to write something and test it in the test environment. If there was a functional code then it could be accepted or modified if others weren't satisfied with it, which would probably be a much smaller step than writing something from scratch. I think we can agree that some sort of restraints would improve the game because it would reduce the need to kill people, which is a permanent solution, and make prisoners more likely to be kept somewhere where they can communicate with others, but there's not much point in accepting a suggestion unless there's a programmer who's actively willing to work on it.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Stocks need no programming, so there's nothing preventing us from creating them.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm

I was thinking of something fancier but that might address the problem quickly, it just seems artificial to make something a vehicle if it can't travel.

Edit: Although, come to think of it, it probably shouldn't be that difficult to add a check to display vehicles that can't travel in a different category, and that could then be used for porches and such without the misleading title.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Suggestions”