Suggestion for new vehicles

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Razorlance

Postby Razorlance » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:11 pm

Just thinking about how we currently build vehicles, now I'm not one to condone making it harder just a little more realistic. For example a broad sword needs several tools, 6 I think, and needs two sub-assemblies a hilt and a blade. A car, or any other vehicle, granted also needs sub-assemblies, but only seems to need a screwdriver. What, are they all made of Mechano? :roll:
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:21 am

Swymir wrote:*rides down his road on his bike minding his own business until he spots that theif that took his stuff; he pushes a button and blows the thief away with his mounted cannon*

Speaking of which, a char died on my bike, and their body was dumped in town along with all the gear. Shouldn't the gear stay in the bike at least? Now it's a hassle IC.
west

Postby west » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:18 am

you fall off a bike, your backpack stays on?
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Gunther_01

Postby Gunther_01 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:33 am

Do not airships and hot air balloons move with the current wind direction? How would you steer them? Plus, there's no wind in Cantr yet...

HOt air balloons move with the wind. Airships have engines

Airship, Zeplin, Blimp.
All of them used to use hydrogen as a means of lift. (They don't have burners).
Then the Hindenburg burned down, ney, EXPOLODED, and thats when the realised that hydrogen reacted with air quite spectacularly!
So they've used Helium eversince, which is unreactive, and besides the passengers have fun sounding liek castratis.
TRAMAPOLINE!!!! TRAMAPOLINE!!!
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:12 pm

Ok, a little fact adjustment...
Balloons (hot air or light gas) are more or less spherical and have no directional control. Airships are more torped, whale, whatever shaped, and include both blimps and zepplins, along with some intermediates. They at least usually have engines. I think some of them may actually use heat for some buoyancy control, but I'm not sure about that. Might be gas-only.

Blimps have pure balloons. The gasbag only has structure from the pressure of the gas inside it. Not good in poor conditions, or for very large craft.

Zepplins have complete internal frameworks inside the gas bag. This means they can be bigger, faster better shaped, and fly in much harsher conditions.

Some airships have partial frameworks, and are called 'semi-rigids'. I'm not quite sure how that works, but I assume they are mostly like zepplins.

Now, for the Hindenburg:
Hydrogen in the hindenburg may have assisted the fire, but it was in no way necessary for the disaster. You see, it had a watterproof coating that included a solid rocket fuel. What idiot came up with that, I don't know, but the bright orange flames seen were not a hydrogen fire, they were the rocket fuel burning off th skin. Hydrogen fires are nearly invisible and blue.
I've also had some information that the non-conducting surface of the Hindenburg (a change from previous designs) likely has some responsibility in the buildup of charge that allowed the fatal sparking.

Was all that at all relevant to anything?
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Robert

Postby Robert » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:18 am

A-hem, solid rocket fuel contains a good deal of hydrogen in it :roll:

Anyway, how about a row boat, a small ship that fits onto larger ships, and if naval conflict is added, can be used to ditch the ship.
"I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia, I'll even Hara Kari if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun." -Hawkeye, M*A*S*H
kroner

Postby kroner » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:46 am

Rocket feul has hydrogen in the molecules, not as H2. That's completely different.
DOOM!
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:45 am

No wonder why I failed science. :roll:
"I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia, I'll even Hara Kari if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun." -Hawkeye, M*A*S*H
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:06 am

Life boats!

Sorry about the double post, but I read the sticky and want to make sure my idea is heard!
west

Postby west » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:00 am

there's already something similar.
Appleide

Postby Appleide » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:57 am

Let big boats like soarers carry smaller boats like row-boat, so that you dont need o dock in a harbour if you are desperate to get off.

Also make it possible severl docked vehicles could dock to gether and still move, that would implement the rowboat idea and more stuff
Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:25 pm

That's exactly what I meant!
Appleide

Postby Appleide » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:54 am

:P
west

Postby west » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Appleide wrote:Let big boats like soarers carry smaller boats like row-boat, so that you dont need o dock in a harbour if you are desperate to get off.

Also make it possible severl docked vehicles could dock to gether and still move, that would implement the rowboat idea and more stuff

:x I thought this had already been implemented. I'm currently building things to test it, but if it doesn't work I'm going to have a useless galleon and two useless dinghies .... :cry:
social moth

Postby social moth » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:19 am

A ball and chain?

But instead of increasing speed, it would decrease speed. Would be cool if you were transporting or taking captive criminals, hostages, etcetera. They could still travel and try and run but it would be very, very slooooooow.

Would require quite a bit of iron, I suppose.

Return to “Suggestions”