Last Words/Death scene

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

joo

Postby joo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:15 pm

really, <<and>> are just a different type of function. Anyway I think it can be configured to have it as just a function.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Again, we shouldn't not have something implemented because of those types of possibilities. It's like writing a note.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Xyu

Postby Xyu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:55 pm

I think it not necessary.Maybe except if man die his own death. In that case the man who is near to death can feel some weakness. e.g. labour productivity will fall down or something..
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:31 pm

There are two different suggestions being proposed here, one is writing death message in advance and one is allowing the character to survive long enough to say something. Which one are you opposing to or is it both?

The reason for supporting this idea (preferably written after the fatality is almost certain) is that although Cantr is meant to be a slow paced game, sadly most of the fights rely on fast clicking and knowing the mechanics of Cantr. Thus death can come very fast and there is very little you can do to prevent it. Also due to the ability of slipping into a locked building or undocking on a boat to escape within seconds (provided that there's no lag and your Internet connection is decent) Cantr law enforcements tend to hit before asking questions. Granted that allowing last words would not fix any of these flaws but at least you would have the chance of saying "Hey, you got the wrong guy".
Not-so-sad panda
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 pm

clap clap...that what i mean...Not before and yes after... you die and have like half a day to write ur last words or scene. I just had one of my favorite chars die and I couldn't rp me death...I had the love of my char's life right in front of it, and it really sucked not be abble to rp it! :(
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
joo

Postby joo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm

I'm not even going to talk about delaying death to let someone speak. Perhaps if someone is logged on then that get the option within 5 minutes, but if an option had to be chosen it would be the preset one (maybe only if you go above 50% damage or next feeding time will kill you due to no food you can set it) but the nature of cantr is such that it is slow paced. A fight that takes days is eqivalent to one that only takes five minutes - people have time to react, but you aren't going to suddenly say something after you get stabbed in the heart, just because you wanted to say it. The only feasible solution I can see is to have a "slow death" (the time would vary depending on the type of fatality (i.e. starvation: 10 days; battle wound: 1 day; substance abuse (if it's implemented): half a day). When someone is sure to die they get a limited window in which to say or do something (only things that require no strength like writing notes or giving away small items)
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:06 pm

My Ron character died because he slept They decided to kill him because they felt like it. Last words would definitely have been nice in that case.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:49 am

joo has the point. What if i chose to attack person who has 90% of damadge? And i attack lets say with sword. I RP it as if chop of his head, and after that he says some last words? Quite sily donte you think? The last words coud be if starved to death, but in battle i dont think so.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 am

Wasn't it suggested that if damage goes over a certain level (for example 120%) the person would die straight away? So if someone was 90% wounded, death is hardly a surprise to them. But if a person is in perfect health or less than 50% wounded, they might not expect to be killed in one day.
Not-so-sad panda
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:16 pm

shapukas wrote:joo has the point. What if i chose to attack person who has 90% of damadge? And i attack lets say with sword. I RP it as if chop of his head, and after that he says some last words? Quite sily donte you think? The last words coud be if starved to death, but in battle i dont think so.

Someone once told me about a cardinal rule of RP: describe what your character does, but not the outcome. If my char *throws a snowball that hits you in the eye and blinds you*, then you are either stuck with playing a char with one blind eye, or you have to reject my RP. Instead, I should RP in ways that allow you to participate. My char *throws a snowball at your head*, and your char might react in one of several ways that leads to no damage, a little damage, or a lot of damage to the eye or other body part.

In the case you mention, the death is hard-coded. However, the possibility of last words makes sense in all but a small handful of cases, such as beheading. Thus, the collaborative RPer would avoid those few RP actions as a courtesy to fellow players.

Another approach is to look at the order of the events. Your char kills mine. My char's last words are instantly spoken. Then you can type your char's RP. Thus, you shouldn't do anything that invalidates what has already happened (my char has spoken his last words). If you really want to behead my char, just interpret it so that the last words occurred in the instant before the blade hit the neck. I think that last words should be short, one or a few spoken words and an emote. A long paragraph just doesn't fit most dying conditions in the game.
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:52 am

Thats not what i had in minde. My char hits (lets say with longsword and kills another char) tnen i RP that my char have shoped his oponent's head. If i coudns kil in that attack, then i woudnst RP as beheading. So, imagine, you stand your ground, and in some confusing moves i slice your head. You coudnt expect than so no last words. I think its all in Rp ad if its not so easy to make in program then just forget it. There are much more important things stil not implemented.
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:07 pm

shapukas...I think he ment good Rp"iers" rp with others. If you shop someone's head you are not rping with that person. Because he could have wanted another death, and if he had those last words he want to say something. So he basicly meant that you should always rp in a way to give space for the others to rp too. So if last words are implemented you can still chop someone's head. But after he puts his last words

you see shapukas kill a man in his twenties with a steel sabre
man in his twenties: *falls on his knees with the sabre inside his stomach* ugh....
shapukas: *takes the sabre of his stomach and chops his head quickly* Zarnut luving lasdasd
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks, Voltenion. You caught my meaning exactly.
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:24 am

If there were only two persons in the town, then yes, mine rp of beheading nobody would see, but it could be seen if there were more persons. So i dont kill then chop off, but kill by choping off the head. My rp would be ment for others not for the one that dies.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 am

There should be a clear distinction between when someone dies and when the person is just dying. Since if it has said "X dies", or "Y expertly kills X using a steel sabre" then X shouldn't say anything more because they're dead. But if there were middle-stage events like "X collapses ton the ground/floor" (for starvation, heart attack) or "Y expertly hurts X using a steel sabre, wounding him/her mortally", then it would be clear that the person is about to die but not yet dead. And this leads into the other suggestion of near-death state. Someone suggested that once a person is in this state, others could execute him or her without a chance of missing, but should people be willing to give the person a chance for last words then they can wait that the person logs in.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Suggestions”