Putting things on corpses

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:02 pm

Solfius wrote:it would be quite a good way of getting rid of things you don't want.

I think the option should be there for people to use, whether they do is their choice.

Burying rubbish notes would be one of the most tragic things to happen to Cantr - all that history lost. Bearing that in mind, I think being able to put things into bodies should only be possible when digging up bodies is possible.

Now this I'll agree with. Say you buried a valuable ring or something and then you want to get married but you don't have anything to make another ring. You can dig up the body and take your ring back hehe. :lol:
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
SekoETC

Digging up corpses - agreed

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:33 pm

Of course we should be able to dig up corpses. But they should decay so that in some years time there would only be a skeleton left. Then you could make things out of human bones. Creepy...
Not-so-sad panda
blackbirdphelps

Re: Putting things on corpses

Postby blackbirdphelps » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:30 pm

Pirog wrote:Since you can now take things off corpses I would also like a feature for putting things on corpses.

You might want to honor a dead friend by dressing him in nice clothes, adorne him/her with jewlery etc.

It might open up for some more interesting cultural diversities...like the Chambers of the Dead in Krif.
People might make different "burial jewlery", like the coins on the eyes to pay the ferryman...

After one of my Characters was burying about her eighth body. I thought what a waste. Not of time but the chance to load the body up with some kind of seeds.

Long time ago the Native American's that raised crops would gather lots of fish before planting season. They would put a handfull of seeds into each dead fish then plant the fish. Not all seeds grew into plants but the Indians believed they got more plants to grow that way. The fish were to the Indian what we call mircale grown these days.

The dead are a waste of recyling materials. Burying them just gets them out of the way without a benifit to the villages.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:38 pm

blackbird>

Well, that would be one...um, rather creepy, cultural diversity :)
Eat the invisible food, Industrialist...it's delicious!
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:55 am

Ummm yeah, it'd be.

I concur with the placing on objects on the dead, in respect or in trying to get rid of evidence. Though once they are buried, they ought remain buried with objs. [I wasn't too thinking that you people were joking about degraving, it'll undo a lot of hard work to bury bodies]

>.<

I think they're should be ways to also dispose of bodies in a quicker method, apart from just using a shovel. What about cremation?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:53 pm

I'd suggest that it should be possible to dig up corpses. But
- maybe only those who were witnessing the burial would know the place where to dig - they could pass it on somehow, maybe by starting a project for digging up a corpse and others could join.

- The resources buried on a corpse would gradually vanish, and the items would deteriorate on an increased speed. So after a while there would only be a skeleton, and finally nothing at all.

- Steel items could be unaffected and keep their normal deterioration rate since I don't think it rusts, at least as fast as iron.

- And maybe random digging might be possible, the chance of hitting a grave depending on the amount of corpses buried on the region divided by the size of the region.

(This was in general discussion but goes for necroing this thread.)

I would also add that accidentally finding buried items while digging for sand, stone, clay or another substance should be possible. The buried items would be saved in invisible "containers" that would be destroyed after all has deteriorated. Thus you couldn't find items endlessly but only things that have been buried in the past. And once an item is found and picked up, it cannot be found a second time unless buried again.

Burying items without corpses should also be possible, but that's another thing. And putting them in chests or other containers or wrapping them in cloth would slow down the deterioration rate.
Not-so-sad panda
Coramon

Postby Coramon » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Amen to that!
Wolf wrote:Hm... MTV Deathmatch: Caveman Clobbering?
Or... do they end up forming the local caveman union?
Octavio

Postby Octavio » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:46 pm

I agree with the idea of putting things into bodies, both because of the interesting burial rituals it could create but also for the ability of returning to bodies the clothing that someone decided to take from it. It doesn't make much sense that you can take things from a body but you can't put them back.
But I disagree with the idea of digging up for dead people. It's not because of any personal believe, cause I don't value a dead body, but because I think that some things like burial should be definitive.
Carpe Diem
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:52 pm

I think it'd be good to be able to put things back on a body, like it something was stolen from one or something, but as for digging things up, wouldn't it be hard for the game to keep track of every person who was ever buried anywhere?

MAybe there could be a compromise, like you can "dig up" a body that hasn't been completely buried, since so many places just start the project to get the body out of the way but don't actually finish it.
Octavio

Postby Octavio » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:15 pm

Marian wrote:MAybe there could be a compromise, like you can "dig up" a body that hasn't been completely buried, since so many places just start the project to get the body out of the way but don't actually finish it.

Right! I agree that unfinished burials should be cancelable. Some towns prefer to put their bodies into buildings and it would be nice to have a way to stop the new spawn/arrival that incidently started burying a body thinking he/she was doing a good deed. Or even someone that clicked the bury button instead of the pull button by mistake.
Carpe Diem
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Marian wrote:but as for digging things up, wouldn't it be hard for the game to keep track of every person who was ever buried anywhere?

Not every person, but let's say everyone buried less than a year ago. And corpses been underground for lets say half a year would already be unrecognizable.
Not-so-sad panda
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:06 pm

There is no problem keeping track of the bodies ...ProgD knows where all the bodies are buried :twisted: ... (Not a joke , we really do know where they are) . But currently once the body is buried then any clothes/jewellery buried with it are destroyed . We'd have to keep track of all these items .
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:56 am

ProgD scares me. :shock:
Nosajimiki

Postby Nosajimiki » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:15 pm

Personally I think a compleated bury project should destroy the item, but that it should be cancelable if started. I do like the idea of adding the burial clothes though. Sure you can't afford to do it for everyone, but let's say a respeced town leader died, I think a silk shroud and golden burial mask would be apropreate.

My big request. I'd like to see emplimented is to make things buriable without a corpse. Let's face it, we've all seen stacks of 50 kilos of small bones or 10 kilos of tortise shell, just lieing around uselessly hoping some new spawn will pop in and try to steal it. Why not put that pretty useless buring skill to some good? Ofcourse these projects would have to either be cancelable, or require a container. Maybe add a new kind of container (a hole in the ground). It would take a shovel and a couple days work and would not be lockable.

Edit: oh my this is an old tread... did admins ever figure out if this would be an accepted or denied request?
#004400 is my favorite color.
BarbaricAvatar

Postby BarbaricAvatar » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:28 pm

You could also fill their pockets with unwanted bone knives. :P
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Return to “Suggestions”