Seeing the Type of building

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Solfius

Seeing the Type of building

Postby Solfius » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:47 pm

Perhaps we could see what kind of building type a building is when it's done, like we can see the vehicle type, like tandem bike, bike, or passenger car?

It would give people a better image in their mind of what they are looking at.

Also, perhaps a little description about the building would be nice, like "this is a stone building. It has a lock, which is currently locked."

To expand that there could be an adjective relating to the size of the building before what it is made of eg "This is a large stone building."

The size could depend on the number of rooms the structure has, and of what kind.

Perhaps like a point system to see what size category the building falls in, like tiny, small, medium, large, huge, monolithic. less than 2 points is tiny, 3-5 is small, 5-10 is meadium and so on.

Buildings and cottages could be worth 1 point, and Halls could be worth 2 points.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:19 pm

But as you add on rooms to a building or cottage then their points go up. That is a very good idea.

I have noticed that the buildings don't tell you what they are anymore like they use to. That would be good if we knew what the building is made out of.

Also, maybe we should have an option of building up. Like building an upstairs and that will show on the description outside. All buildings built on the ground level will go out but then you build a stairs and room above and you can build up there and keep going further up.

Also, builds should be able to be destroyed. Wooden buildings can be set on fire and over a few turns would totally be ruined. Naturally, people can try to put it out (another reason to put water back in again). If set on fire everything inside is either destroyed or damaged so it would need repair. If a building is ruined it will still remain there. At that point, characters could have the option of either repairing it or get rid of it.

I'm not sure how one would destroy stone buildings yet. Explosives maybe.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:34 pm

stone you use a sledgehammer and smash it, or tear it down with a pickaxe. Anything you can dig up the material with should be able to be used to tear it down, plus some others. By hand it would take a long itme
Kev Milsom

Postby Kev Milsom » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:04 pm

I like the ideas here, especially the points system for sizing the houses.

I was wondering when/if we have a skill system within the game, that buildings could be further described by the quality of the craftsmanship.
So when looking at a building constructed by an untrained person/persons, you would be able to see ‘a small simple stone cottage’, or ‘a large rustic wooden church’.
Whereas, a professional, trained builder would perhaps be able to make such things as ‘a small sturdy house’ or ‘an exquisite cathedral’.

It could also be that professional builders could learn to build new types of structures as their experience increased.
So, initially I can learn to build a church, then perhaps a chapel and finally a cathedral.
The level of experience of the master builder who initiates the project, dictating the overall quality of the finished structure.
This could work the same in theory with cars/boats/bikes.
Not good if you buy a cheap car and the wheels fall off half way across the desert, but it could even introduce different classes of car, from inexpensive runabouts, to luxury, well-crafted sportscars/limos.

Also, it could be that lower quality buildings could only last 10-20 years before it fell to pieces, while something like a cathedral would last for hundreds, unless smashed up on purpose.
I agree with Solfius on this, anything that can be built, should be able to be dismantled with a few pick axes or sledgehammers.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:55 pm

I like Solfius idea...some of the buildings in the game are really huge now, but you can't see that until you enter them.
west

Postby west » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:06 pm

yeah i'm afraid of some of the buildings in Krif...i don't want to get lost forever.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.

Return to “Suggestions”