Limitations of animals in an area

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

DYip16

Limitations of animals in an area

Postby DYip16 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:14 pm

Here's a small snippet from Pok Desert West:

571-7: You hurt a scorpion using a dung-fork, which loses 18 strength.

571-7: You see 577 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Harbour.

571-7: You see 426 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (north).

571-7: You see 7 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (south).

571-7: You get attacked by a scorpion, and you lose 0 percent strength.You saved 35 percent using your iron shield.

571-6: You see 311 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Harbour.

571-6: You see 191 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (north).

571-6: You see 828 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (south).

571-6: You get attacked by a scorpion, and you lose 0 percent strength.You saved 35 percent using your iron shield.

571-6: You see 1 scorpions arriving in Pok Desert (west), coming from Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (south).

571-5: You see 314 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Harbour.

571-5: You see 136 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (north).

571-5: You see 116 scorpions leaving Pok Desert (west), taking Pok Desert Routes to Pok Desert (south).

571-5: You get attacked by a scorpion, and you lose 0 percent strength.You saved 35 percent using your iron shield.
---------------------

This isn't the first place I've seen this many animals... According to the location/animals tab, theres about 5500 scorpions in Pok Desert West. The town that used to be in existence was completely decimated, destroying any possibility for social development in the area without an iron shield... I know that the addition of these attacking animals requires the development of a defense of sorts, but 5k scorpions is ridiculous. There's no way an army of 50 people could take down all those in a month's time, nevermind a few people with war bows without shields.

A limitation should be put in place for the max animals...
BIG STICK GO BOOM
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:04 pm

Yes, this is a problem indeed. I do not agree with a max, but the reproduction rate should be much, much lower ...
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:18 pm

Actually, a limitation should maybe take effect in the form of a curved rate of reproduction...As animals begin to populate an area, they start crowding each other out, competing for food sources, end up fighting each other, etc. until the population can't grow at any appreciable rate...
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Cosmo Harrigan
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Cosmo Harrigan » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:23 pm

I agree, that the animals should follow the "logistic" model of population growth, where the environment has a carrying capacity and exhibits overcrowding, so that the growth is exponential at first, but changes at higher numbers as the animals begin to compete for resources.
DYip16

Postby DYip16 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:14 am

Well currently, just a temporary solution, could someone plz just dice down the population a lil. Noone can move into the area without an iron shield...
BIG STICK GO BOOM
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:35 am

Yeah, I agree with most of you :) ... Creating some kind of maximum support an environment can give to animals would be nice. That would be a fake natural effect, I think, but more realistic than a strict max. And animals would just die or not reproduce when they are in an overcrowded area.

And I also agree that on the short term - that is, more or less immediately - there should be a serious cutdown on some animal groups :) ...

Return to “Suggestions”