Cultivation and Wild Food

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Solfius

Cultivation and Wild Food

Postby Solfius » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:32 pm

I think we ought to have a distinction with wild growing food, which is harder to collect as it's all spread out, and cultivated crops that give a higher yield because they are farmed in a greater density.

Wild crops would grow of their own accord (maybe have wild corn, potatoes etc, nut berries and so on). Only a few days worth would you be able to collect in a day, so cultivated crops will be needed to gather food very quickly.

Characters need to cultivate crops themselves. Perhaps 98madison (or whoever posted it) could find his post on cultivation and repost it here?
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:29 pm

Yes, I also like this idea.

Everyone should be able to survive for the day (except in extreme locations like for example deserts), but without refining the ways of harvesting the resources the energy put in to gathering "wild" food would take up almost as much time as the food will last.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:58 pm

thats the point ;) with gathering it usually takes an awful long time to get enough food for one day. Hunting as well would help.

2 oe 3 days worth a day would mount up moderately quickly, but for masses of food you would need cultivation.

You would spend half your time collecting food, which is what most agricultural communities did any way, even more so for hunter gatherers
Meh

Postby Meh » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:53 pm

Oooo ... and animal traps
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:56 pm

oh yeah, definately
Yo_Yo

Postby Yo_Yo » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:42 am

Well, I have killed around 4 racoons with one char, and he got some meat. Now, I still have plenty of carrots, so I can't check out if I can eat the raw meat. For all I know, you might have to cook it. But I would like the idea of hunting. Maybe they could have a population limit, and possibly go extinct?
:twisted:
Vicki Vale: You're insane!
Joker: I thought I was a Pisces!
Camino

Postby Camino » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:55 am

Extinction would be a very interesting problem because it would either mean no animals which means no meat or preserving them limiting the number of animals that can be killed or only killing dangerous animals and nothing else for a year or so allowing the population to recover then allowing certain people with permission to go hunting, which of course means poachers and a patrol to protect animals.
SierraBreez

Postby SierraBreez » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:31 am

I don't think as many of the animals would be killed though if they didn't attack so much.

Return to “Suggestions”