Deforestation (Resource Depletion)

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you think a limited, and renewable, source of wood be a good idea.

Yes.
47%
No.
35%
Don't know yet.
18%

Total votes: 17
Rob Maule

Deforestation (Resource Depletion)

Postby Rob Maule » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:40 am

Speaking about wood, what would everyone think of deforestation? By gathering (cutting) too much wood in a forest, the amount to gather would decrease. It would be like animals. Let them be for awhile and they would have the chance to grow again. This way, wood would (hehe) become valuable, not just something limited by the time it takes to get it. You'd have to wait. Or perhaps encourage it to grow?
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:37 am

I think in many cases it is already scarce...to make it harder to get wouldn't be good. Plus, unlike irl, there is no way to stop someone from cutting down trees except by killing them.
Rob Maule

Postby Rob Maule » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:13 am

GenevieveSCU wrote:Plus, unlike irl, there is no way to stop someone from cutting down trees except by killing them.

Will we have to do that to save the animals? I've yet to see a character tell people to stop killing animals. And only one ask if the shields would void their attack. We might just make every animal extinct soon...
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:19 am

I have thought about this also and would like it if almost every resource was limited.
There could be dorment resources that would either pop out of their own accord, but it would also be great if some resources had to be discovered.

Miners could go up in the mountains hacking away hoping to find gold or other precious metals.
(Of course this would require some changes so that projetcs like "prospecting" would be available)

It would set an interesting twist to the game if old resources vanished if exploited to heavily and new resources came up, causing gold rushes to areas that was otherwise abandoned or unsettled.

Stone, "planted" resources and so on would of course still be unlimited.

Perhaps this should be in a new topic? :?
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:28 am

I agree with Genevive on this one. In some places its already almost impossible to obtain wood.
If people were limited to cutting only so much down before there was none left, it would make this game go on for years and years and years before someone could actually get a tool and god knows what.

I WOULD agree to this idea of yours IFFFFFFFFFF we had the ability to plant seeds for trees in certain areas and IF the trees only took a few days to grow. (Seeing as how the cantr worlds time is quite odd)
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:41 am

Missy>

In resources like wood there wouldn't have to be a set amount of trees before the forest disappeared, it could be more like if people cut down the trees at a too high rate the forest would grow smaller.
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:48 am

Exactly....! And thus resulting in people not being able to get wood. if they cut them down too quickly or too much. Right?

I don't like that idea.
Wim van de Griendt

Postby Wim van de Griendt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:54 am

GenevieveSCU wrote:I think in many cases it is already scarce...to make it harder to get wouldn't be good. Plus, unlike irl, there is no way to stop someone from cutting down trees except by killing them.

How about dragging that person to another location? This would be the same as in real life. There you also have the option of killing the person, dragging the person, threatening the person, etc., just like in Cantr. There is indeed no way to remove some item out of somebodies hands, but maybe we could introduce that sometimes. And after that is done, you can handcuff somebody.
Is that an option?
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." -- Immanuel Kant
Wim van de Griendt

Postby Wim van de Griendt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:57 am

Missy wrote:I WOULD agree to this idea of yours IFFFFFFFFFF we had the ability to plant seeds for trees in certain areas and IF the trees only took a few days to grow. (Seeing as how the cantr worlds time is quite odd)

This is certainly one of the things which is on the list of being/trying to be implemented in cantr 2.0.

You have to know that in cantr 2.0 land will be a scarce resource, so things will get a lot more complicated then they are know. Now you can build 50 buildings at a location, I think that will change in the future. Because then it is not sure how big every building will be.
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." -- Immanuel Kant
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:08 am

Missy>

Perhaps the forests could regrow by themselves?

Still, I like the idea of being able to plant forests, but I don't think they should grow in a couple of days...and you shouldn't be able to plant them everywhere.
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:13 pm

pirog- I don't think you should be able to plant them everywhere either. Only in places that you can already get wood from. :)

Maybe my few days is a little too funky....maybe a little longer. But really...if things took longer than a few days to grow? The game would seriously NEVER evolve. OTHER than the social aspect.
ya need wood for tooooooooo many things for it to be so complicated to get.

For example say we do end up having your idea in the next version, and some group of people cut down all the wood there is to have. So there is next to none left, they don't plant any seeds, go on home live a wonderful life.
People from a diff town come to the place because that is the closest source of wood for them too, and find absolutely NOTHING there, so they plant the seeds- or in your idea wait for them to grow automatically which takes longer than a few days-

Meanwhile cheetahs come along, and these people from this other town have no hammers, need the wood for the hammer, so that they can then make a shield. By the time the trees are grown back (if it takes longer than a few days) they'll be dead cuz the animals wil lhave gotten to them.
Cantr time wouldn't be on ANY bodies side at all if trees took longer than a few days to grow back. NO way no HOW!
Half the cantr society would end up dead just from animal attacks alone. Not to mention attacks from people or thieves....factor all that in and you maybe have 25% of the population left. I don't guaruntee it but i almost do.
It already takes longer than H.E. double hockey sticks to get enough wood to do much of anything with, much less have to wait for it to grow. Plus the amount of time it takes to get to somewhere that has wood (if you arent in a location that has it already) AND THEN also the amount of time it takes you to build what you are building that needed the wood in the first place.

You figure six days walking, three days growing, 2-3 days of gathering, 4-6 to build........fine and dandy

IF trees were to take longer? o_O omg...lol...we'd really be moving at the pace of snails.

BUT thats just my opinion. :) You're entitled to yours. :)
Rob Maule

Postby Rob Maule » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:33 pm

Missy wrote:The game would seriously NEVER evolve. OTHER than the social aspect.

I thought this was the whole point?

Anyway, like I said before, we're already hunting animals to extinction. They'll soon be sources for clothing and possibly for furniture, or even something else. They're also a source of food.

But if you think of them like wood, should animals be unlimited? If we were to kill all the animals, or even all just in one area, there are other ways to make clothes, other ways to get food (maybe). This is also the case for wood (somewhat). There are already alternatives for wood buildings and tools. Maybe this could be the case for other things in Cantr. That way you could lose all the trees and still live on. Or at least wait for them to grow back.
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:46 pm

Wood should be able to grow anywhere where other plants do.
Where do the cantr apples come from?
In fact wood should be able to grow even where there isn't other food. Like in areas with just stone and a metal.

Maybe we could start be saying that cantr is deforested in many places and needs to be revived. Maybe this is why there is cars and swords. A post technological setting?

A 1% growth rate per day with a minimum of 10g growth per day?
It would start by someone "planting" 1g of wood.
Wouldn't add to much wood to an area and the forest would still be valuable.
People could add their unused wood to the "forest".

The maximum amount of wood in a area would be 1,000,000g.
This is where the forest would start out at.

Maybe the growth rate should reduce to 1/10% per day over 100,000g.

Should the forest overgrow other resources?
1000K wood = 0 other resources
900K wood = 1 other resoruce max
800K wood = 2 other max
700K wood = 3 other max

So if you like the 1 other resouce in a forested area, you had better remove at least 900 g of wood a day to keep it.

Maybe a minimum of other resoruces. 1 or 2 can't be over grown but 3+ can?

So if you like that 3rd resrouces you better remove at 700g a day.

The overgrown resources could be restores by clear cutting.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:23 pm

Rob Maule wrote:
GenevieveSCU wrote:Plus, unlike irl, there is no way to stop someone from cutting down trees except by killing them.

Will we have to do that to save the animals? I've yet to see a character tell people to stop killing animals. And only one ask if the shields would void their attack. We might just make every animal extinct soon...

I have encountered people who got mad at my characters for killing an animal-so yes, people are telling others to stop killing them. But trees don't attack and kill people. Animals do. Thus my characters will continue to kill animals w/out worrying about it too much as they aren't exactly "limited" nor can we capture them to protect ourselves.
watermelonnose

Postby watermelonnose » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:18 pm

I like the idea of limiting wood resources only if collecting seed or small trees is also included and then being able to start tree plantations in other areas. a business in a town with out a close wood supply could grow their own forest.

Return to “Suggestions”