Anyone still around?

Forum de discussion hors-personnage pour ceux et celles qui jouent en français

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Schme

Anyone still around?

Postby Schme » Thu May 19, 2005 2:51 am

It doesn't seem to me that many players stick around long. There's so few people in France. It's exetremly depressing.

And most people there just use half assed translators. Makes me sad.

I shall go cry now.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
Nick

Postby Nick » Thu May 19, 2005 5:49 am

Romov is more active than it was before. At least they got about 5 people who are awake usually at least once a day.
Junesun
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Junesun » Thu May 19, 2005 6:57 am

So is Kwatsjdurov. I just wish that there were more new French people signing up. I think the problem is that the majority of internet users from France or the Francophonie haven't heard of Cantr, rather than not being interested. We need more advertisement. Tell all your friends and forums! :twisted:
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Thu May 19, 2005 6:55 pm

I simply don't have the vocabulary I used to have to be able to play my character. I keep thinking I'll let her run out of food but the person she is with keeps giving her more. And now she's grilling meat. Woo-hoo. Perhaps some more animals will attack and she'll just die. There is absolutely no drama. If only someone would suggest that they try to take over another island or something.
Nick

Postby Nick » Thu May 19, 2005 11:12 pm

Capt. Mobious wrote:I simply don't have the vocabulary I used to have to be able to play my character. I keep thinking I'll let her run out of food but the person she is with keeps giving her more. And now she's grilling meat. Woo-hoo. Perhaps some more animals will attack and she'll just die. There is absolutely no drama. If only someone would suggest that they try to take over another island or something.

Well maybe if you talked to him, he'd talk back. :roll:
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Thu May 19, 2005 11:47 pm

She doesn't have anything to say, otherwise she would. Nothing has occurred around her to elicit any response. And even if there was, I wouldn't be able to put that into words except in English. And she's not supposed to know English, so having her set sail for a new English-speaking land would be a huge breach. I suppose she'll stick with "merci" and wait for the food to run out.
Nick

Postby Nick » Thu May 19, 2005 11:48 pm

:evil:
Don't complain about the French region being boring if you're making absolutely no effort to develop your character.
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Fri May 20, 2005 12:00 am

And as I've been trying to say all along: I do not have the vocabulary to make my character interesting! She's in servant mode. Will do what is asked and no more. She's not bright enough to do more because the person with the puppet strings can do no more.
Nick

Postby Nick » Fri May 20, 2005 12:18 am

Capt. Mobious wrote: Nothing has occurred around her to elicit any response.

No?
Not travelling and nearly starving through a forest?
Not finding a completely massacred town with strange writings lying around?
Schme

Postby Schme » Fri May 20, 2005 2:12 am

Nick wrote::evil:
Don't complain about the French region being boring if you're making absolutely no effort to develop your character.

Word to that.

Joseph Stalin
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Fri May 20, 2005 2:41 am

And I would love to comment about all of these things if, as I have said multiple times, I had the vocabulary to do so. I'm so sorry that I was not raised in a multilingual country like Canada. That I wasn't encouraged to learn French at age six. I simply cannot make more than simple sentences. And the ones I do manage that are longer than five words take a long time.

You trying playing a character that can't even figure out what 'plumes' are. I tried to have her eat some today to gain strength and found out they were feathers! Do you think this makes sense? Her goal, and she does have one, is to get home. And get her friend home in one piece. That's it. So leave it. What's done is done. I certainly don't intend on creating another character in this land. You won't have to worry about it.
Schme

Postby Schme » Fri May 20, 2005 2:47 am

Je pense que sa serais un bonne idée de peut être donner cette site un plus de publicité en Québec, la Suisse, pis tout sa. Peut être sur des autres forum ou quelque chose ? Je ne sais pas, mois. J’utilise pas tros de forum d’internet, mois.

Joseph Stalin
Schme

Postby Schme » Fri May 20, 2005 2:48 am

Home? What? To England? Bah.

Why'd you make one at all, if that is the case?

Joseph Stalin
Nick

Postby Nick » Fri May 20, 2005 5:15 am

schme wrote:Je pense que sa serais un bonne idée de peut être donner cette site un plus de publicité en Québec, la Suisse, pis tout sa. Peut être sur des autres forum ou quelque chose ? Je ne sais pas, mois. J’utilise pas tros de forum d’internet, mois.

I've recently posted some French advertisments on some francophone gaming sites.
Junesun
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Junesun » Fri May 20, 2005 8:12 am

Capt. Mobious wrote:And I would love to comment about all of these things if, as I have said multiple times, I had the vocabulary to do so. I'm so sorry that I was not raised in a multilingual country like Canada. That I wasn't encouraged to learn French at age six. I simply cannot make more than simple sentences. And the ones I do manage that are longer than five words take a long time.

You trying playing a character that can't even figure out what 'plumes' are. I tried to have her eat some today to gain strength and found out they were feathers! Do you think this makes sense? Her goal, and she does have one, is to get home. And get her friend home in one piece. That's it. So leave it. What's done is done. I certainly don't intend on creating another character in this land. You won't have to worry about it.

I wasn't raised in a multilingual country. I started learning French at school when I was 14, and dropped it when I was 16. I wanted to forget it altogether but I had some internet friends who just didn't allow that to happen. Since 1 1/2 years or so I'm again studying French, that is, trying to pick up things without spending hours hunched over vocabulary lists or grammar books. Also I decided to study Romanistics (French language / linguistics / philology) at university. My French is improving every day and I can already express most things without using a dictionary.

If you come across the language barrier in-game, consult a dictionary for the words you don't know. There are lots of good, extensive dictionaries online, which you can find via http://www.yourdictionary.com. I find them easier to consult and more extensive than printed ones. Or do a machine translation of a text where you don't understand most of the words. Machine translations are horrendous, but they usually allow you to get the gist and they're faster than looking up every word one by one. Just don't stop there. Once you have looked up a word or a phrase, re-read the French with meaning, so that there is a chance that the French words will stick in your memory and you won't have to look them up next time. And try to write something in French as often as possible, even if it's hard, even if it's only a 3-word sentence. The more often you do that, the easier it will become. Look up words English-French if necessary. Don't use a machine translator for writing French however, because the sentences they create are usually worse than those of somebody who only had 1 month of French classes.

If you'd really like to brush up on your French, not just slowly improve by immersion into French Cantr, have a look at http://languages.4status.net/english/f.htm. It's a site I created with links for learners.

Judith

Return to “Joueurs Français (French)”