Thought or Rant of the day!!!

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MattWithoos

Re: Thought or Rant of the day!!!

Postby MattWithoos » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:40 pm

I felt a great disturbance in the Green, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

:cry:
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Tis a sad day. :(
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

MattWithoos wrote:I felt a great disturbance in the Green, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

:cry:

:(
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Managed to find my way out of Huge Fanfic Land. Now on to Homework Land.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:25 pm

Isn't that an analogous order of operations Snickie?
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:14 pm

.... and am now in Cell Phone Paperweight Land.

Edit: I fixed it. My charger, meanwhile, has been promoted to trash.
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 am

Now I remember why my explorer character never spent much time in the <spanish-speaking areas>. I still remember enough of my high school Spanish that I know how to correctly say the basic phrases that she's trying to use, but I have to make her speak baby-Spanish and it drives me mad. I have to make absolutely certain I check the notes that she has so I don't use my knowledge instead of hers.

It's much easier with languages like Polish (or Dutch), where my only knowledge comes from Cantr to start with. Speaking exceptionally poor Spanish is driving me slightly mad.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Two-thirds of the way through a Georgia winter, and I just now noticed my winter coat in the closet where I left it two or three years ago. A/C is on, everyone in shorts and t-shirts, and the neighbor kids are playing with no shoes on. Not a Stark in sight.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am

As I approach my 7th anniversary with cantr and planning my eventual exit, I think about a lot of friends found and (mostly) lost.

Some of you know that I was dealing with some accelerating health issues for the entire duration. Yet there is hope and I am finding more wisdom coming from the greencoats rather than the whiteones. Its a shame that western medicine is essentially owned by the pharmaceutical companies... a lot of really good homeopathic remedies are arbitrarily dismissed based more on profitability rather than the good old Hippocratic Oath. It was part of the reason I came out against forced vaccinations on our youth.

This week I was introduced to the healing powers of magnetic fields... its exciting to say the least and I have shown promising improvement in a mere four days of field therapy. It almost sounds like a 'snake oil' in the way it accelerates the bodies healing powers (Not so much preventative...but healthy people don't usually go to doctors)... I have felt energy that I didn't have for at least 10 years return (not in full, but see the [4 days } note) and certain pains have also let go. Legalities prevent me from mentioning the specific product being used (Those doctors protect their billions fiercely) but its pretty easy...just sit there for 10 minutes twice a day! I really hope that further study will be funded for this... if you ever have had injuries (I have many...crazy kid I was) or have a friend or relative that has a chronic or nagging condition... there is something in this and I would love to see how far it can be taken. The silly optimist in me is once again counting the candles on the cake and seeing so much more.

Less than three to you all.
Andu

Postby Andu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:04 pm

This ninth year apparently marks the end of my time with Cantr. It had brought me many good memories, and had a big impact on my English proficiency early on.

As I mentioned earlier I think I learned at least parts of how it feels to get old, be see people you know die, and feeling nostalgic about the good old days, and not remembering much from the last few decade, mostly ending up telling storis about the good old days and stuff. Cantr also gave me the craziest adrenaline rush outside RL neardeath-experiences or "bad news"-phonecalls, when I once logged in and saw that one of my, at the time, favourite characters was inside a building he shouldn't be in. My heartbeat went from ~50bpm to surely 100bpm within a minute as I scrambled to read up the log and get up to speed.

Alladinsane wrote:.... Yet there is hope and I am finding more wisdom coming from the greencoats rather than the whiteones. Its a shame that western medicine is essentially owned by the pharmaceutical companies... a lot of really good homeopathic remedies are arbitrarily dismissed based more on profitability rather than the good old Hippocratic Oath. It was part of the reason I came out against forced vaccinations on our youth.

This week I was introduced to the healing powers of magnetic fields... its exciting to say the least and I have shown promising improvement in a mere four days of field therapy. It almost sounds like a 'snake oil' in the way it accelerates the bodies healing powers (Not so much preventative...but healthy people don't usually go to doctors)... I have felt energy that I didn't have for at least 10 years return (not in full, but see the [4 days } note) and certain pains have also let go. Legalities prevent me from mentioning the specific product being used (Those doctors protect their billions fiercely) but its pretty easy...just sit there for 10 minutes twice a day! I really hope that further study will be funded for this... if you ever have had injuries (I have many...crazy kid I was) or have a friend or relative that has a chronic or nagging condition... there is something in this and I would love to see how far it can be taken. The silly optimist in me is once again counting the candles on the cake and seeing so much more.

Alladinsane, "western" medicine is the only medicine that work. Herbs and alternative medicine that work have been incorporated to the "western" medicine. Homepathy, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_therapy and such works only as a placebo. There are so many unsound claims and thoughts in what you wrote, I won't adress them further, but it doesn't matter as much as this:

Please, please, please for our own sake, seek real treatment if it is feasible, and not throw money down the well on spurious treatments with "LITTLE ALT MED".
. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/alternative-medicine-is-a-34-billion-industry-but-only-one-third-of-the-treatments-have-been-tested-879411/

Did you know Steve Jobs expressed regret on relying on alternative medicine instead of getting the proper treatment that could have helped him?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-cancer-treatment-regrets/#6c6675cb7d2e
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:06 am

But it is working.

Whenever we stop looking for new methods and new cures...cancer will never be cured. MS (My particular battle) will always be "Incurable".
*Ebola.
*Diabetes
*Aids
*Asthma
*Schizophrenia
*Polio
*ALS (Lou Gherigs disease)
*Common Cold
*celiac (Affected by gluten... I know a person with this, its horrible)
*Almost all genetic diseases
*HIV
*Macular Degeneration
* Marburg
* Muscular Dystrophy
* Parkinsons (RIP Muhammed Ali)
*Arthritis
*Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
*Herpes
*Fibromyalgia

(apologies for spelling errors, I am mostly working off the top of my head)

In many cases we can name 'coping' drugs that treat symptoms, but never eliminate the root cause. There are also some vaccines to prevent us from getting things, but once its got us...uff.

If we cease dosage of coping drugs, often the malady will return. I want to see these things that have taken some friends and loved ones cured...not managed. In accomplishing this task, I don't think we should eliminate Any possibilities. If it takes a few close to us, we start to not accept the possibility of medical and scientific advance, we stop speaking our future into being. Yes a lot has been incorporated, but there is likely much that we have not even explored.

I appreciate your input.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:07 am

Alladinsane wrote:But it is working.

Whenever we stop looking for new methods and new cures...cancer will never be cured. MS (My particular battle) will always be "Incurable".
*Ebola.
*Diabetes
*Aids
*Asthma
*Schizophrenia
*Polio
*ALS (Lou Gherigs disease)
*Common Cold
*celiac (Affected by gluten... I know a person with this, its horrible)
*Almost all genetic diseases
*HIV
*Macular Degeneration
* Marburg
* Muscular Dystrophy
* Parkinsons (RIP Muhammed Ali)
*Arthritis
*Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
*Herpes
*Fibromyalgia

(apologies for spelling errors, I am mostly working off the top of my head)

In many cases we can name 'coping' drugs that treat symptoms, but never eliminate the root cause. There are also some vaccines to prevent us from getting things, but once its got us...uff.

If we cease dosage of coping drugs, often the malady will return. I want to see these things that have taken some friends and loved ones cured...not managed. In accomplishing this task, I don't think we should eliminate Any possibilities. If it takes a few close to us, we start to not accept the possibility of medical and scientific advance, we stop speaking our future into being. Yes a lot has been incorporated, but there is likely much that we have not even explored. Even the article mentioned says less than 1/3 of the treatments has been tested.

I appreciate your input.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:51 am

I think what Ally is getting at is that American western medicine "whitecoats" won't accept any remedy that hasn't been tested and approved by the FDA in the United States even if it's been proven (by one means or another) in other countries, even if that country is European and thus still "western". (e.g. One of the blood banks in my state excludes anyone who has had surgery in the U.K. from being able to donate blood.) The pharmaceutical companies are in bed with the FDA and so Americans are pushed onto pills and drugs for everything. I remember somebody (I forget who or where) commenting that Americans seem to be the only people who tell their doctors what to prescribe them based on all the drug advertisements they (we) see anytime we watch television or read a magazine ever.

Here, when stories come out about somebody who miraculously got over some ailment using a greencoat (homeopathic) remedy after barely subsisting on whitecoat methods, it's usually received in one of three ways: awe and wonder that American medicine isn't perfect, ostracization because whatever method they used isn't "American" medicine, or some form of apathy/dismissal. I've heard stories where people who were effectively blind from macular degeneration regained enough of their eyesight to get their driver's license and their doctors still insisted they were blind. Some doctors would rather believe that they ran their tests wrong than that some homeopathic, non-American medicinal remedy was so effective.

Some of them are hooey, of course. But some of them aren't.

We're not saying all American medicine is bad - we're just saying it has a very narrow definition of what is considered "medicine" and what is considered "snake oil". Doctors here can lose their license for straying outside those boundaries.

And this is the profession I want to go into?
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:21 am

R.I.P Johnny B. Goode

1926-2017
Shedevil

Postby Shedevil » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 am

I'm sorry for my lack of playing the past few weeks. Our site at work shut down so I've been one of the lucky/unlucky few to be moving our work vehicles to new locations. Think I've done more driving in the past two weeks than I have in the past two years. :/ Hopefully we will be done soon but I've got a few more overnight trips coming up to the east coast of the US. But once it's all said and done mine should be back to relatively normal lives with only changes to their sleep patterns.

On another side note - Whatever you do, DONT work with family, especially if they live in your house, lol. Think I about strangled my dad twice last week.
Oh look, another glorious morning… makes me SICK!

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”