quotation

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

thingnumber2

quotation

Postby thingnumber2 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:21 am

Name a quote, and everyone else has to guess who said it...I'll start..."the lonliest goat sees the last sunset last"
JherodJ

Postby JherodJ » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:27 am

never heard that:(
"Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise
-what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be,
it would.
You see?"
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:35 am

Have no clue.

Here's an easy one; "...war is hell" :D
west

Postby west » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:18 am

Patton, misquoted

and whoever plays HvyThg Jr. in Karnon Forest should take the Churchill and other quotes out of their campaign speech...they don't have Churchill in Cantr.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:33 am

=west= wrote:Patton, misquoted

and whoever plays HvyThg Jr. in Karnon Forest should take the Churchill and other quotes out of their campaign speech...they don't have Churchill in Cantr.

If you are talking about my quote, =west=, then you are wrong though Patton did say something similiar to that. :wink:

I could provide the whole quote but I would have to look it up but those three words are the most famous of what he said. To give some hints; he was suicidal and his best friend was a drunk at the time. :wink:
JherodJ

Postby JherodJ » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:19 am

I thought that was patton too:(

I want in on this heres mine.:)

I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.
"Nothing would be what it is,

Because everything would be what it isn't.

And contrary-wise

-what it is, it wouldn't be.

And what it wouldn't be,

it would.

You see?"
west

Postby west » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:34 am

no it is patton, but that's not the exact quote...that's what i'm trying to say.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:37 am

No, it is not Patton. The phrase was coined by General William T. Sherman. :D

As I said there was more to the sentence but those are the three famous words that came out of it. Patton said something like it but Sherman was the first to say it and coin the phrase. :wink:
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:28 pm

If you still believe it is Patton misquoted, here is a website that backs up my claim;

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/genwilliam109552.html

I thought there was more to the quote but I can't seem to find the rest of it. Maybe it was something else he said that also had war was hell in it that he said.

By the way, Sherman was very suicidal. He had tried to committ suicide many times. He had chronic-depression. And his drunk friend was U.S. Grant who loved to drink and would be conidered an alcoholic today. Grant later went on to president of the United States and Sherman later came to be in command of the entire US Army.

Here's another quote; "It is good that war is so terrible or we would grow to fond of it." Guess who said this?
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:34 pm

ooh, another famous quote made by Sherman. This one I like....

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast"

And another;

"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."

And actually, I was able to find the whole quote here it is;

"It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell."

And yet more quotes;

"If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."

"My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom."

This man is a very interesting read if you ever want to pick up a biography on him. :D
west

Postby west » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:50 pm

he seems to have lots of things attributed to him...

I doubt the veracity of "brainyquote" actually...

doesn't seem very scholarly..but yeah...
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:18 pm

Those quotes on that site are correct as they are in a biography that I have of Sherman.

Sherman also predicted how the war would be. When everyone on boths sides thought it would be a 90 day war, Sherman said that the war would last for years if not decades and that thousand upon thousand of people would and this country would be ripped apart. He also predicted in the end that the South would win. He worked in a southern military school as the south was seceding and was talking to the dean of the school (who would later, ironically, become one of his enemies; Joseph Johnston) and he said to him that the north would prevail in the end because of the population numbers, factories, railroads, and the strong central government. He was right on both those accounts.
west

Postby west » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:09 am

And yet, like all other humans, he barely struggled when we implanted our mind-control device in his 19th century skull!
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:17 pm

Here's another quote; "It is good that war is so terrible or we would grow to fond of it." Guess who said this?

I thought I should finally answer this after leaving you all in a clifff hanger. The person who said this was Robert Edward Lee after the Battle of Fredricksburg which consisted of the bloody and horredous assault of the Union troops (including the Irish Brigade who happened to run into the Confederate Irish Regiment; truly brother fighting brother) against Marye's Heights by Ambrose Burnside (Burnside were named after him by the way) who is considered one of the worse commanders in world history.

After the battle, many of the wounded froze to death (the battle was fought in December) because neither side would give ground and call a truce to gather the wounded and bury the dead and for about two days this occurred until finally the smell got so bad that no one could ignore it. Also, after the battle, the Northern Lights happened to occur, which was said to be so brilliant that for hourse soldiers stared up at the sky and were so mystified that a whole army could have run them over. Lee said it was a sign from God that he would not let the poor souls of those that died to roam the Earth forever in horrible torment.
west

Postby west » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:46 pm

rklenseth wrote: against Marye's Heights by Ambrose Burnside (Burnside were named after him by the way)

Sideburns, I think you meant.

But spot on, otherwise :D

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”