So, how old are you really?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

So how old are you, really?

under 14
1%
14-16
8%
17-19
14%
20-25
31%
26-35
30%
36-50
12%
over 50
4%

Total votes: 229
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:02 am

Revanael wrote:I know that Uni life is considerably more likely to be the best days of my life than school was.

I second that.

Although possibly for different reasons...
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:06 am

I am still the youngest here!
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:14 am

Well, I know I'm not the oldest......

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Dragonslayer4ever

Postby Dragonslayer4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:38 am

Gonna be 20 on the 23 this month and going to the beach to celebrate. Although mentally I'm like 60. I am very smart for my age..........When I want to be that is. Just prefer acting like a child cause its fun. :P :D
I am the Dragon Slayer. And as long as I have my friends behind me. I will never fall.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:41 am

Dragonslayer4ever wrote:Gonna be 20 on the 23 this month and going to the beach to celebrate. Although mentally I'm like 60. I am very smart for my age..........When I want to be that is. Just prefer acting like a child cause its fun. :P :D

You have an IQ of 300? I find that hard to believe.
AoM

Postby AoM » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:33 am

The average 60 year old doesn't have triple the smarts of 20 year olds. (Although the average 60 year old is likely to tell you that they do). The IQ rating is not a linear model, it levels off quickly once you reach adulthood and in fact dips down at the later periods of life due to loss of cognitive function associated with aging.

~Lt. Data
julie2

Postby julie2 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:27 am

kinvoya wrote:Even though we've had a poll like this before a lot of those people aren't playing anymore and it will be interesting to see how the ages compare now.

It seems like especially a lot of the older (age-wise) players have stopped posting - not sure if they are still playing.

Right. The last poll that I could find ran from March to October last year (before dropping off the front page , presumably). It's surprisingly dificult to frame a useful search query, so here's the link:

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2524&start=0
And here's the results:

15 or less 10% [ 10 ]
15-20 38% [ 37 ]
20-30 35% [ 34 ]
30+ 16% [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 97

As you can see, the poster chose different age-ranges, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. The age-ranges also overlap in the original survey (which rather invalidates it). Personally, I'm not keen on all over-30's being lumped together like that! I think mine is rather more realistic.

I'd like a bigger sample before leaping to conclusions, but so far it very much looks as if the proportion of older players is increasing. Back then, the over-twenties (or thse over-twenties who bothered to respond) outnumberered the under-twenties by a narrow majority.

So far , in the current survey, the over-twenties outnumber the under-twenties by a pretty huge majority, with the over-25's just beating the under-twenties. If a lot of older players have dropped out, it looks like even more have come in.

Oh, here's another link , by the way, to another "How old are you thread".
This might be the one Surly was referring to. Unfortunately it didn't include a poll, so we can't glean any statistical data from it.

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3114&start=0
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:24 pm

I wish there was a poll of what year you were born, that could live longer because even when time goes on and younger people reach the playing age, the year of your birth still stays the same. In age questions you might be voting for a different category just a month away, and because everyone is growing that kind of polls quickly get outdated.
Not-so-sad panda
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:11 pm

You could start one Seko. :wink:
kroner

Postby kroner » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:19 pm

such a beautiful bell curve! well done on the age range selection, julie2.
DOOM!
Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Avatar of Meisora wrote:The average 60 year old doesn't have triple the smarts of 20 year olds. (Although the average 60 year old is likely to tell you that they do). The IQ rating is not a linear model, it levels off quickly once you reach adulthood and in fact dips down at the later periods of life due to loss of cognitive function associated with aging.

~Lt. Data

IQ = intelligence quotient;

(intellectual age in years)/(age in years)

Not a perfect system, but yes, saying you are 20 with the mind of a 60 year old would technically mean you are saying you have an IQ of 300.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:14 pm

Is there some limit on the amount of options? Since I once tried to start a poll on which month you were born, and it refused to be created. I could add all the options but when I clicked submit it just reloaded the page again and again.
Not-so-sad panda
Dragonslayer4ever

Postby Dragonslayer4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:28 pm

*rolls eyes* Nick do you live to just try and give me a hard and contridict everything I say now that you have killed my favorite character. And just for your information my IQ is 186 I have it tested yearly each dec. I wouldn't mind my IQ being 300 but its not and I never said I did.
I am the Dragon Slayer. And as long as I have my friends behind me. I will never fall.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:34 pm

:roll:

If you two want to make petty arguments over IQ, go and do it on another thread with people who actually want to hear your stupid arguments.

This thread is about ages... and petty arguments don't reflect kindly on your age whatever it is.

:evil:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Dragonslayer4ever

Postby Dragonslayer4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:36 pm

I don't want any part of his arguments but he insists on dragging me into them.

Anyway yeah like I said gonna be 20 in a few more days sooooo YAAAAAa MEE.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”