Cantr in an App?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Jaxon

Cantr in an App?

Postby Jaxon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 am

So is Cantr in an app? If not, how do we make it happen?
re4der

Re: Cantr in an App?

Postby re4der » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 am

There're apps giving you notifications about new events of your characters for desktop and android if that's what you mean.
Czy to sen?
CantrEye
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 am

No, I meant full feature accessibility via App. This game can be revived and be bigger than it was before. How do we make it happen?
re4der

Postby re4der » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am

Well.. it would be pointless, that's why there no Cantr in an app. It's already fully functional via browser, which also makes it more accesible then via downloadable client. And it's got fully functional mobile version. So, why bother?
Czy to sen?
CantrEye
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:35 am

re4der wrote:Well.. it would be pointless, that's why there no Cantr in an app. It's already fully functional via browser, which also makes it more accesible then via downloadable client. And it's got fully functional mobile version. So, why bother?

Marketing.
re4der

Postby re4der » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:37 am

It's easier to get into game when you don't have to download game client. So that would be crap marketing.
Czy to sen?
CantrEye
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:40 am

re4der wrote:It's easier to get into game when you don't have to download game client. So that would be crap marketing.

I disagree. No need to be offensive as well. If you don't think it's a good idea, then do you know of any games similar to Cantr that I can play via app?
re4der

Postby re4der » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:43 am

I don't know many games like Cantr, but the ones I''ve seen been browser-based.
Czy to sen?
CantrEye
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:02 pm

A game of this magnitude isn't good for app format. Unlike you guys, I have seen the source code. It's quite a jungle. Nobody has the time to convert it into an app because it would probably require going through tens of thousands of lines of code. If you think it's so easy, learn how to make apps yourself, then apply to ProgD, or make your own version.
Not-so-sad panda
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

It would be good marketing and good for the app to make a good app for it (including helpful and optional notifications, etc.). Unfortunately, lack of man-hours makes this impractical. I appreciate CantrSpy and CantrEye for their help in this area.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:20 am

It wasn't a suggestion, it was a question. As far as a suggestion goes, I definitely think a game like Cantr (specifically a society simulator) would be amazing in an app format. All of these "freemium" games like FarmVille and clash of clans are exactly the same. Either wait years to build a great farm or town or whatever, or spend a ton of money and do it fast.

A game like Cantr would allow people to build stuff like people do in games like FarmVille, but have that be just one aspect of a deeper world. It would not be as profitable per player as freemium games, but it would have a longer shelf life and keep people playing.

Games like this have a world of potential. If I had any programming knowledge I would totally make a game like this. Kudos to the creators and staff for keeping this game going on browser. I just think you guys have an amazing game concept.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:51 pm

App would be great but making this game into app would probably at the moment be too much work. It's after all run by volunteers
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”