Games like cantr

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

BosBaBe

Games like cantr

Postby BosBaBe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Hey guys, this may be blasphemous, but I was wondering if there are any other games out there like Cantr. Simply for when I'm board and none of my cantr characters are lighting up, or I feel like making a new character during one of my frequent sparks of inspiration.

I know of FTO, but the waiting time for that is appalling. A character of mine was finally born last month, only to be murdered the same day. Wow! Wonderful! Right back to the start of the queue. Not only that, but I always tend to let my characters die in FTO. Because there is no real drive. Your goal is to survive and make babies, but when you make those babies you realise just how futile and pointless it all is. It doesn't allow for expansion, especially with such a small player base where most just murder everyone and everything. A pity since I really like that you can have children and start off young. It just needs something more than just that.

Then I have tried Avalon. A MUD game that says you can roleplay but no one actually roleplays. It's just about the fighting. So much so that their pacifist, specifically rp based guilds have all collapsed. I wasn't a huge fan of the MUD system, and I didn't want to fight, I wanted to rp. A huge pity since the locations are so beautifully described, the world is amazing! And the foundations for rp are there, clearly. But the players are more focused on the faction struggles and battling it out in skirmishes, or questing.

So, yeah. A game like Cantr would be great. If anyone knows of any.
Vega

Re: Games like cantr

Postby Vega » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm playing Arx, when the time zone allows me...
It's not exactly like cantr, but it's RP.

Now the city is in the middle of a siege, so fighting is a thing, but if you can be at the right time around (and with that I mean, my mornings are dead, my afternoons meh, my evenings are doable and A HUGE LOT of things happen when I'm sleeping...) they give a lot of importance to RP. (Actually, all the xp you get is by RPing, not by fighting, so...)

This is the site, if you want to check it.
http://play.arxgame.org/
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:54 pm

A similar question has been asked before, in the non-forum games part. Just search. It's an old thread and so is the info i guess.

At the moment a few new games are in active development ((pre-)alpha or beta stages). You can find threads about those games (and their development progress) in the same part of the forum. Some look really promising, but they are not ready for play yet.
I think ...
Hommer

Postby Hommer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 pm

There are two that are really interesting being made mariosa and otherworld
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

5211-1.20: You skillfully kill a hawk using a brand new screwdriver.
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 pm

I just saw a game called One Hour One Life. I haven't played it yet, but it seems to have some overlap with Cantr sensibilities. Has anyone tried it?
Neva

Postby Neva » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:08 am

Chris wrote:I just saw a game called One Hour One Life. I haven't played it yet, but it seems to have some overlap with Cantr sensibilities. Has anyone tried it?

It looks interesting and the illustrations look nice.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 pm

Is it paid? I couldn't find out how to play it. :oops:
Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 pm

muidoido wrote:Is it paid? I couldn't find out how to play it. :oops:

Yes, one-time payment of $20 for access to official servers. It is open source so there are free private servers, but you have to search the forum to find one and contact an owner.
viktor

Postby viktor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 am

there is this one game I play called 'force of nature' generally 1 player though there is a limited mp option. if there was ever to be a cantr 3.0 with graphics and online server... meshing cantr with force of nature(and sims) would rock... and would certainly have a monthly sub having to host the kinda graphics for thousands of players world wide. you can probably see some vids of it on youtube if you haven't played or aren't on steam to look at it's store page info.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”